What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Which strains are possible to grow near Anchorage?

Ujo Poika

Greetings from Finland. And just let me know if I am intruding.

I live almost on the same Northern Latitude as people of Anchorage. Old timers here bred some sativa strain that is early, and most autoflowering strains work well. Many breeders mix strains for fun, and not many strains are stable.

We have barely any night around solstice, and late July-August is start of proper dark nights. Growing season is up to 185 in a good year, but spring starts early and autumn is chilly.

Which strains are possible to grow near Anchorage? Your growing season is shorter I read (we have Gulf Stream), and your winters are more snowy. Not so cold, I suspect. :)

geopolitical

Vladimir Demikhov Fanboy
Veteran
Growing season in the area is reliably 130 days. Late frosts and early snowfalls are fairly common. It can rain for three weeks strait in fall, so light dep or autoflowers are key when growing outside for reliable cropping. Even under glass some years humidity in fall csn pretty much doom harvests.

I just use a breathable felt tarp and grow whatever the hell I want I just time bloom to be done by the beginning of Sept to avoid the rains.