What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

watches?

Green Squall

Attachments

• pocket watch.jpg
    pocket watch.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 48

Homebrewer

Veteran
friend of mine is a master level watch repair guy; certified. yes, their is a ranking system for watch repair ppl. there are only 4/5 in a 4 state area around where I live.

he said that the counterfeit biz has gotten so good that it is now possible to make high quality counterfeit rolex's that can not be detected as counterfeit.

getting an older/vintage watch properly repaired nowadays is getting very difficult to do as there are no new up and coming watch craftsmen. thing of the past. he's almost 60 yrs. old and he's a dinosaur.

I don't think that a rolex denotes social status anymore personally.

if you like the aesthetics and most importantly, can get it properly maintained then go for the pleasure it brings you.

as an investment silver is the way to go; physical silver.

^ my 2cents.

So you're saying that a watch repair guy after popping off the back can't tell a real from a fake by looking at the movement?

shithawk420

Veteran
Its actually getting harder to tell homebrew.these fakes actually are made in Switzerland sometimes.mind is blown but true.I could be rocking a Rolex or omega and nobody but an expert would know the difference.

shithawk420

Veteran
On that note my daily driver is a swiss army field watch with a Hadley Roma band.can't post pics cause its probably the only watch, band combo in the world.dead serious

Homebrewer

Veteran
Its actually getting harder to tell homebrew.these fakes actually are made in Switzerland sometimes.mind is blown but true.I could be rocking a Rolex or omega and nobody but an expert would know the difference.

I've seen numerous 'how to spot a fake' videos on youtube. If anyone is into horology enough to appreciate that you're wearing a subby, daytona, or a speedmaster, they'll know enough to point out that you've got yourself a fake. There are A LOT of small details on those watches that are nearly impossible to fake and of course a peek at the movement will tell you all you need to know.

When in doubt though, buy from an AD.

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I like Omega much more then Rolex.. I would agree there not good as an investment. Most take losses when there resold. I took a lose when I sold my Omega.
damn! thats a shame,,over here in London i got £100 more then i payed for my seamaster auto but that was in trade for another watch,,
am thnking of a panarai marina or hublot big bang to add to collection,,,,
datejust 16013 just keeps going up in value:),,,,
must be totally original,,no aftermarket 18ct gold links etc,etc,,
good luck collectors,,,,,l
love the classic that brad pitt bought his missus ,,nearly a million bucks for a classic patik phillipe i believe,,
plus the Hublot that JZ bought beyonce for even more,,,,didnt like that!,,,far too showy but i suppose an investment lol,,s2

shithawk420

Veteran
Wow always wanted the seamaster. Do people really dive with 20 thousand dollar watches? Id be too scared to lose it.I'd say for 500 my swiss army is the best bang for buck.don't know if its true or not but I heard the use parts from omega.but for a couple hundred the Seiko snk is VERY hard to beat

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Wow always wanted the seamaster. Do people really dive with 20 thousand dollar watches? Id be too scared to lose it.I'd say for 500 my swiss army is the best bang for buck.don't know if its true or not but I heard the use parts from omega.but for a couple hundred the Seiko snk is VERY hard to beat
hey shithawk,,,,
just letting ya know i had one of the "bond" type seamaster autos but not a Bond special edition and can be had for under $2000 second hand,,,,special editions with all the bling extras costs lots,,,,,s2:tiphat:

shithawk420

Veteran
I'm so jealous! I wonder if I'll ever have a Rolex.my buddy showed me his one day.I don't know what model but I was not impressed.I suspect it may have been fake.didn't have much time to look at it.guy town over runs a jewelry store and is getting pretty old.I'm thinking of going in there and asking if he will apprentice me.he has 40 years of watch mastery under his belt.to me there is just something romantic about the science and art of watches and the sence and allusion of time.does anybody really know what time it is?

shithawk420

Veteran
I know I'm gonna get flack for this but what do you guys feel about smart watches? The ASUS Zenwatch looks pretty nice.I know its made in china but we all can't afford 10 thousand dollar watches!

m314

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I don't care about designer watches at all. Smart watches look awesome. :) I'm thinking about getting one. I'm excited about the technology, not how it looks.

shithawk420

Veteran
Haha right on buddy! What watch are you looking at? Moto 360 is looking pretty good..ASUS is still at the top of my list

420somewhere

Hi ho here we go
Veteran
People have been asking if my Rolex is fake..

People have been asking if my Rolex is fake..

For twenty years :party: It's worth more now than when my wife gave it to me.
Plus the sentimental value and I wear it everyday.

Green Squall

On that note my daily driver is a swiss army field watch with a Hadley Roma band.can't post pics cause its probably the only watch, band combo in the world.dead serious

Like this one? I've had mine for more than 5 years I think. I replaced the strap with a Nato Watch Band.

24378m.jpg

Nader

Veteran
The new VC twin-beat perpetual calendar is special
Vacheron-Constantin-TwinBeat_3200T-hero.jpg

amazing >2 month power reserve in resting mode (1.2 hz)

armedoldhippy

Veteran
last issue of Fortune magazine had some cool looking new watch brands in it. one that caught my eye was the Kruger Skull, but the Autodromo Ford GT chronograph was nice too. can't afford either, but...:) i only carry pocket watches anyway.