What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

high temps + coco handwatering

scurred

if temps exceed 80 degrees in my tent should i be worried about root rot in my coco medium? i plan to use 100% coco or cut it with perlite, and will handwater.

reading a lot how in hydro its important to keep the res as cold as possible, use chillers to get it to around 70 degrees, and how 80 degrees can cause fungi to grow and destroy the roots. is this a concern in coco?

should i stick to soil or do u think i can pull it off?

toasted1

im pretty sure ur gonna b alright high temps+ coco = water more to me :tiphat: they'll use up any water b4 any rot/ fungi starts

in my experince atleast :2cents:

stay safe
:smokey:

Scrogerman

Veteran
if you aint got a chiller bro, do the bottle run. Freeze several 2Litre bottles of water(sealed totally), Oxygenate your irrigation solution with airpumps(&airstones) drop into your res the frozen bottles, wait 20 mins & then check temps, the size of your res will depend on how many bottles of frozen water you'll need, i know you can give slightly warmer water to mediums like soil or coco, but if you want max D'O(dissolved O2) content in your solution you'll need to bring that temp down to the recommended 68-70f range. i could go on & on as to the benefits of doing so but im sure you get it! G'Luck bro!

This will work a treat if your hand watering but a little more attention to detail will be needed if your dripping, timing is paramount then etc etc(as to when you put frozen bottles in Res solution). Besides all this if in coco your roots have access to O2 anyway so its not so important, i just wouldnt fancy giving 80+f o2 dead(depleated) solution to your girls! but in pots with coco its not as near as important as if you were running hydro, as long as your top feeding/irrigating it doesnt matter as much, the O2 is readily available!

tbh the Aquashield should be sufficient in this case. i wouldnt be too worried myself, but id still stick a few frozen bottles in my irrigation solution.
Hope this helps!

Zymes may also help ya bro, Cannazym is clean & works well!

Last edited:

scurred

Won't be any res, I am brand new to hydro, got a couple in DWC now and I plan to try a couple handwatered coco's, but I'm still mostly doing soil.

I can handwater the coco plants with water that is 68, that's not a problem, but the tent will be 80+ at all times unfortunately.

Scrogerman

Veteran
? read what i said again bro!

of course you have a res, what you mixing your solution's in? that is your res

with the frozen bottles & you time it right your feeding your girls the right temp solution, but like i said its not so important in coco! O2 is readily available as long as you aint saturating your media 24/7 its fine!

tent temp is 80+, thats ok-ish, are you asking how you can drop your tent temps. increase airflow bro, more cfm on exhaust will do it!

the tent temps aint gonna be the same as your internal pot temps! if your having problems there you can cover your pots with a reflective material! like Mylar! that may help as would a dedicated fan on your pots, if you position it right(a fan that is) !

Last edited:

scurred

Oh alright, I didn't realize that's what you meant by a res. I'll be filtering cold tap water through the RO, so by the time I water it will be 60ish. Not sure I need the frozen bottles if it's that cold, or do you disagree?

I'm glad to hear the high temps isn't as much of a problem in coco as it is in a DWC setup, really want to switch completely to a hydro setup without having to worry about water pumps, air pumps and res chillers. Very expensive and overwhelming at first.

Well my tent temps have reached upwards of 84* during the warmest parts of the year (obviously not an issue now that it's cooling off).

When I was hand watering, the water that I mixed in the bucket for that evening was usually no warmer than 80*. It did mix a new batch every day btw. Now I've moved to a drip system (blumats, drip to waste), and the warmest the res ever got was 84*, that was only for a couple days though. The high heat was attributed to a sub pump I had in there to stir the mix, took it out..now res temps are back down to around 72-74, which is where it was at the beginning of this grow. When I felt the pump, it was uber warm to the touch. Solution looks better too, turns out I didn't need a pump.

I did start to use Silica Blast for this run. Mainly to deal with high temps, but also for a beneficial PH up adjustment. However, when I was hand watering (and not using Silica Blast), I found no ill effects with temps in the 84-86 range for the tent, and RO fertigation solution at around 80. I had no choice at the time...I live in a very warm climate and can afford to cool the room only so much.

FWIW, my coco is cut with a bit of perlite as well.

Hope this helps, and welcome to the world of coco.

scurred

Thanks green, that really makes me more comfortable. Glad to know there are others with similar conditions.

mg75

you can use smartpots... they will keep the medium cooler (especially if you direct a fan to them... ala swamp cooler)

Happy to help Scurred. I had the same concerns when I started growing a couple years ago. I by no means am an expert, I just wanted to convey my experiences. 90% of the time I grow I am battling high temps...you'd think I live in purgatory. Wait...maybe I do??? ;)

Also, like MG75 said...smart pots are a stellar ideal. I DID move to those as well and am loving them. I highly advise looking into them.

GT

even though its less than optimal i have had a few weeks of 90's plus.
i wouldn't worry about 80's, unless it is constant and the plants are suffering...watch for spindly growth and male flowers.as it has been said..check water temps. as winter approaches here..i use an aquarium heater to keep my water supply warm enough..in the summer, the water sits in buckets on the cool floor.the closer you get to optimal the more the plants love you

G

Guest 18340

As long as you water to waste then you can get away with slightly higher rez temps. I do:)