What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

PLEASE Help diagnose my dying plants!

GrowingGoo

Hello Everyone, :wave: and thanks for visiting my first post, on my first grow!

I am having some problems, but do not know where to begin. I am learning big time, as we all do with our first garden. My only wish is that I had found this site a couple months ago. :bat:

OK Here goes...

Started with a 150 HPS light, and 2 "Goo" Clones 9 weeks ago, planted in MG Soil, and fed with MG for Acid loving plants very diluted, up until 3 weeks ago. Then got some "Age old grow" fert, but after ferting I started to notice the splotchy leaves. 5 days ago, I found this website, WOW! Next day, got some FF Ocean Soil mix, and replanted. I am hoping this does the trick, there is a lot of new growth all over the plant now, but there are still leaves dropping.

Any help is appreciated, and I look forward to twisting one up for all of you when this is over. :joint:

Growing Goo

G

They are wayy over fed and the PH is wacked.
You need to do a good flush 3x the amount of water that the container will hold.
Don't use MG acid fert.
They may need to be re-potted.
Flush those babbies.
Go to a local nursery and get some good fert's.
Or a Hydro store if you can.

G

:fsu: :bat:

Miracle Grow is great for vegetables - not pot.

Very little to go on here. What size pots, how often watered and with what, what sort of ventilation and temps are you putting them through, etc.

Your hemisphere rough location or climate zone would be helpful. Easiest thing to do is get your profile set up with your garden basics. Assuming you are in the Americas or North America you have Home Depot and garden shops nearby. They sell Premiere Horticulture's Pro-Mix for containers (about $3 for 4 cu.ft. bail), Vermeculite, Shultz's General Purpose Plant food (10-10-10), Miracle Grow Bloom Booster (10-52-10).

Mix the 8 qt. bag of vermeculite into the Pro Mix, pack it solid and water good. In a couple days plop the plant in and water light. Keep it in the dark for a day, then get the light about a foot above it. If you use 1-3 gal pots, lift the pot every day and water when it feels lightest. With fresh soil they should take off again. A lot of growers swear by the Fox Farm mix, personally I think it's awful rich in nutes, whatever - you should be just fine transplanting in that. I'd have thrown in a couple bags of vermeculite for drainage. If you can flush the hell out of them, then let them dry out and start watering with plain tapwater (ph 7.0 or less).

I'm not familiar with those nutes, just with what is available in my area. I only use straight tapwater to sprout and veg. When I'm ready to flower I mix every other watering with Bloom Booster (10-52-10). A general purpose plant food is good to have on hand for vegging (10-10-10). Works for me.

What you're probably seeing now is the effects of parts of the rootball damaged, some leaves will wilt and fall, others may turn yellow before they fall off - they should all be older growth, if the new growth wilts or yellows you have more serious problems. They should be ok, I'd just watch them for a few days and start watering again when they recover - they are just probably going through a little transplant shock which is normal.

Dr Watt

Who What
Yeh, great advice, LegitUser has said it well.

Poisoned plants can take a while to recover. Um, like those plants could be recovering in 2 weeks.... :moon: Probably 4 weeks and with nute-less love they WILL be recovered in 8 weeks :yoinks:

:joint:

Growdoc

Cannabis Helper
Veteran
Mist plants 2-3 times daily with 6.0 water...this will help bigtime

Also as soon as you see some light green heads you need to feed with a N fert very diluted...hope this helps, patience is they key here

Growdoc

GrowingGoo

Thanks Everyone for your responses, it is greatly appreciated. :wave:

I can't believe I poisoned my own plants! :yoinks: I guess that is what happens when you try and give them a little too much love. :pointlaug

The lights are on 18-6 now, and temps are around 85, and plants are in 5 gallon planters.

The MG Acid 30-10-10 fert I used 1/6th to 1/4 stength for the first 6 weeks, but then wanted something better, and organic for my medicine.

The "Age Old Grow" 12-6-6 fert was purchased from the hydro store, it is organic, and the numbers were low, so I used the normal strength, and I think that is what burned them. I noticed the splotchy checkered leaves about 7-10 days later. It was then that I found this forum, and saw it was best to flush the plants, so I did. The plants were flushed a week before they were repotted to the FF Ocean Mix. Since repotting, the plants have a lot of new growth, so I think I will just water without any nutes for a while, and keep my fingers and toes crossed. :confused:

I was hoping to be putting them into flower now, but I think it would be best to wait right now. Yes?

G

I was hoping to be putting them into flower now, but I think it would be best to wait right now. Yes?

Yes Goo. Give them time to recover. The burned leaves will not go back to looking normal, so base yourself on the new growth. Give them at least a couple of weeks to recover, if not more. You'll do fine, I'm sure, and you'll see how much you'll learn from this first experience. Each time round will be easier for you, as you learn to understand your plants and their necessities. You may have found IC a bit late to avoid the nute burn, but there's alot of fine folks here who'll help you along from here on in! :smile:

:wave:

GrowingGoo

xxbluevelvetxx said:
...You may have found IC a bit late to avoid the nute burn, but there's alot of fine folks here who'll help you along from here on in! :smile:

Thanks Bluevelvet, you are correct. The only thing I find more exciting than growing these wonderful plants, is learning from other forum members, and growers that are just as excited about the same thing I am. However, there are so many methods and styles out there that you can easily get information overload when you are just starting. I am just trying to find my path! :chin:

GrowingGoo

G

I hear ya Goo....you have to take the advice you get and sort of bend it to your needs, no two strains are alike, no two setups are alike, no two environments are alike. You'll develop your own style with time. :wink:

G

You're on the right track now! You've gotten advice by some of the best at IC. I would trim the "bad" leaves off if you haven't already...they are probably not giving anything back to the plant. Don't worry, many of us (including myself) have done the "too much love" thing... probably the most common newbie mistake. Glad you found IC in time! IMO, you might want to try Earth Juice nutes. They are 100% organic, and very safe. MG

G

Careful MG, even organic nutes cause overfert if you give them too much :wink:. You might already know that but I put it for Goo's benefit as he's still trying to get his bearings. :smile:

B.C.

Non Conformist
Veteran
High ya Goo !

High ya Goo !

Thought I'd pop in with a couple of tips to help ya get your groove on... First off I see your useing foxfarm soil and age old organics. Both are great but remember that ff soil is good to go for the first 2-3 weeks with out any extra nutes (I would add 30% perlite though), this will probably get you though to flowering. If you do use the " grow " part of the age old orgs. start at half strength as it is pretty strong for an organic fert. The "bloom" part is much more forgiving and easier to use without fear of frying'em. Your plant's will let know when they want more or less and to help you understand this I suggest you check out the faq. at overgrow.com and read,read,read ( yes og is good for something besides haboring trolls ). There is a ton of good info there. and ~SOME~ good people... hope this helps ya Goo... good luck on your grow...

GrowingGoo

Thanks BV, Mastergrow, and BC,

Well I am happy to report that the plants are doing good now and things seem to have stabilized. :woohoo: All new growth is looking healthy and vibrant without burn. And boy is there alot of new growth! :yoinks: They are getting some water this weekend, and just water for the next 2-3 weeks.

I just came out of the garden from a night of therapy. I have started planting some bagseed collected over the years, and I am going to start my first grow thread so that everyone can follow along! Thanks again to the words of encouragement and good advice.

Growing Goo :joint: