What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

One for the newbs: cheap and simple hydro, but very effective

Does it make a difference how big the net pot is? I got some 6 inch pots because that was what was recommended in the Cani Bible but in those picture posted there those things are almost as big as the lid. I guess I'll be making a run tot he home depot to get me some tape to tape that thing up cuz the buckets I bought from there were white =(

Dr. D

Veteran
Yeh get those buckets covered zhuge...and a six inch net pot is fine that is the size i use...peace

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran
hi DR, just dropping in again....MY SB in the bitch on wheels is looking fb now mate, more tying and training...im gonna shove in my Aquafarm, veg her another fortnight in there and then flower her... Im running CF 1.4 at the mo, ill put up the latest pics ....
Reflectix is great for covering bubblers......just started selling it at the growshop for that purpose...actually cheaper than B&Q which is odd.....
Another good one for blocking out light on the buckets is Plasti-Kote(Plasti-dip in US) I was using just black, 3 coats...but someone else did a coat of black for blockage and a coat of white for reflectivity...im gonna do that i the next one.
IOm also going to try a new nutrient for the bubbler from JHydrotops...a UK firm who also makecustome nutrient formul;ations...you send in some of ur water and they make up a perfect complete nutrient tailored to ur water going by the analysis of the sample u sent. ill be trying out the Bio-lite range which is made to be complete at a lower EC specific for DWC and Autopots,
Be lucky now...
Harry

Last edited:

know_one

I asked about pot size specifically when I went to hydro store and the guy there said definetly "go with the biggest pot". Oh well.. live and learn!
I'll get some 6" screen pots and more lids to replace for next go round.

zhugeliang said:
Does it make a difference how big the net pot is? I got some 6 inch pots because that was what was recommended in the Cani Bible but in those picture posted there those things are almost as big as the lid. I guess I'll be making a run tot he home depot to get me some tape to tape that thing up cuz the buckets I bought from there were white =(

Covered tops with opaque poly-plastic

B

BuzzBoy

I hope you don't mind Dr. D if I try to answer some of sackoweed's questions.

1: temps are fine between 70-75 degrees i believe.. any colder or much warmer is not good

2: it depends on a lot of things really, what medium are you using? normally people keep at least the bottom touching or an inch or so above the bottom of the net pot, just until the roots trickle out into the water from the netpot, then you can let the water level drop to a few inches below the netpots and let the airstone's bubbles create an aeroponic? environment at the room system. i dont think it matters if you keep the water up in the netpot all the time after the roots have found their way out. possibly root rot?

Still no seds in the mail yet..... Columbus Day =(. I have a question for you guys while I am here. I hear that you can force a plant to flower early if you switch the lighting from 18/6 to 12/12. Is that true? Will there be any ill effects. I pm'ed D but I can imagine that everyone is flooding his box and figured I would ease some of the problems off of him and ask you guys here.

10-10-05_1941.jpg

10-10-05_1942.jpg

10-10-05_1943.jpg

Here are some pictures of my newbie grow room. It is actually a little utility closet but I'll just have to make due for now. Pictures are all funky cuz it's my cell phone cam but I don't have anything better =P

What is that bucket coat stuff that you are talking about? Do they sell that at Home Depot or something? That sounds interesting since I was just going to tape my buckets black or gray. How much does that stuff cost?

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran
yup it'll work but your yield will be less than if you had a proper veg period.,...its all down to your space really,

Last edited:

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran
Ok....

Ok....

Here it is Dr D.....
The bitch on wheels again,

that is 3 days after adding several more ties..now tying down the smallr limbs from the main braches.... Img going to finally transplant her to an Aquafarm this week because she is rapidly outgrowing this bucket(only 14 litres...10 litres maximum in it) im going to take a few clones from her and stick her straight into flower after recovery....should do quite well i think.
ill be starting my own thread on her down in the BOG forum.
any newbs...seriously...give it a whirl if you fancy trying hydro... as long as you have ur meters to het the nutes righgt you will be happy with theresult........
bye for now every1,
Be lucky now,
Harry :sasmokin: :wave:

Thanks Sack, but that little thing doesn't look that nice to me =P. We are looking for a new place that will have a better area for growing but we have to put that one hold for a while because I decided that I want to find another job first. Depending on how long it takes I might just be able to let the plants grow normally. I really didn't want to rush it but my girlfriend and I decided we would stop buying our stuff and start growing it seeing as we were getting to 100 a week on that stuff. Seeds still not in yet and I am about to go nuts. My grow cubes have been soaking in solution for a week now haha. This is retarded.

I can't wait to get started, I'll keep you guys posted.

Dr. D

Veteran
Hey all,
Harry she is lookin good man i usually keep my cf at 14 in veg dependinng on the strain..im gonna do Sour Bubble next in mine i think...or maybe Skrum
Know-one ur set up is lookin good...dont worry about the big net pots it mmay work out better so see how they go..just keep the water level up around the pot to make sure she is gettin enough water to the roots.
Sack those temps are fine iv had great resullts with it going lower also..last run it was 62f...just dont llet it get any higher than 74f itl probly cause problems...ur water level sounds fine for noow keep it up around the net pot until u get some good long roots growing out.
Hey Buzz-boy any sound info is welcome here
Zhuge ur set-up is lookin ready to go man hope ur seeds arrive soon..and like Harry said the earlier u switch to 12/12 the more yield u will loose..
Harry Il have to stop by ur thread and see how she goes....peace

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran
Hi DR...

Hi DR...

..I just wanted to drop a pic of the new clone in my bubbler A BMR and to show you the bitch on wheels now shes in my Aquafarm.....

BMR...shes been in 24 hours when i took this last night.....

theres the B . O . W 24 hours after transplanting to the Aquafarm......

and thats my nice new pump....4 outlets but its lenty powerful...on fukl blast I could split them all with a Tee each for 8 lines no problem its that strong! Glad I bought it, so much easier than having loadsa little ones....i will be using the origional pump though when i start timing the waterings an this will just be powering the airstone in the bottom 24/7..... right now its running the drip, the airstone, and the bubbler with the BMR in it....
Well there you go mate.....I wont post anymore pics of the aquafarm plant now here coz this is a DWc thread but ill keep up-dsating on the new clone which is going to be a mother for a big load of clones then grown out to flower..... so every1....even if you aint gonna flower in it, these bubblers are fabulous....no way would the clone have got this size this fast growing it from tiny in the Aquafarm....just goes to show what a bit of air can do.
Be lucky now Hydro-growers,

Where do you guys usually place the hole for the air tubing? I am going to pop a hole in my bucket top after dinner tonight and get my buckets wrapped in some gray bundling tape I got from Home Depot. It looks like duct tape but thicker. I got a message from my seed people that say if I don't get them tomorrow then they will look into it. It's been about 2 weeks and I think I am going crazy from waiting. Definitely going to have to let a male grow to get some seed action going so that I never have to do this again.

Dr. D

Veteran
Harry man that pump looks killer i need a good quiet pump like that in the future...where did u get her from and how much was it???
Zhuge a hole at the top of the bucket for the air tubing is fine....

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran
hi mate, I got her at one of the local growshops.....Ponics sell the same make and model though...this one was 45 quid....it would be 38 at ponics plus delivery so it evens out....... Growell do similar Rena ones for 29;99 but the guy said them are really really noisy...., like a compressor. I think you mis-read though mine aint quiet at all...ohhh no, its a noisy ol bastid :sasmokin: but it does the trick......I aint gonna run a load of bubblers of it on full power until Ive built a soundbox for it...just a simple double skinned construction stuffed with rockwool...should do the trick. I dont, but if you use Ebay you should find some bargains....

hi Zhuge.... I put my airline hole in the top at the side right where the notch in the rim where the handle fitted into is....it makes a convenient spot and keeps it in position not trailing down the side.

you cant quite see here but you can see the lid notch on the opposite side(where the level indicator is) and so should get the idea of what i mean. Ignore the notch I cut in the rim above the airlinre...that was for the power cord on the waterpump when I had the drip running on it.
Catch you later evry1.........Keep on bubbling,
Be lucky now,

Last edited:
G

Dr. D this thread is awesome! You have inspired me to set up my own DWC system. I am still gathering everything but i am off to a great start thanks to you and everyone else with all of this great info. Here's a pic. I haven't got the air pumps or airstones yet and i plan to duct tape my buckets.

Hew yellowsnow nice job with those giant net pots! They fill up the whole bucket.

My bubblers are much more modest.

These are BMR younguns.

bolan

hi dr d i got 2 of those 4 outlet pumps from growell and im running them both at the same time there is not alot of noise at all they are called hailea aco-2206 £29.99 each they seem to be ok and produce alot of bubbles cheers