What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Water ph in and water ph out to determine soil ph?

I dont quite grasp how to tell the ph of soil through water in and the runoff water? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mr GreenJeans

Sat Cat
Veteran
Hiya OP

Although a novice, I'll take a stab at this one. I use a pH meter. I start by watering one of my plants with pH 6 water. I take some of the runoff and measure - if it's too high, I adjust the pH of my water down. With my soil if I water at pH 5.8 the runoff is 6.2-6.4.

Once in awhile it's good to take a bit of soil from the pot and put it in a 1/2 cup of distilled water - mix it around and then let it sit for 30 minutes, then check the pH. This will check the pH of the soil itself. I fried my first bunch of plants - by the time I checked the soil I was using pHed at 7.8!!! Wasn't checking the runoff either.... :confused: . I use different soil now that pH's at 6.5-6.8, and check pH every watering.

Good growing! -MGJ

Thanks MGJ, that helped alittle, one more question though. If i use distilled water and check the runoff, what ph should it be to let me know my soil is in the 6-6.5 range?

Mr GreenJeans

Sat Cat
Veteran
The first time I check I give them a full immersion soak in pH 6 water - I let most of the water drain, and only collect the last bit - the last bit should be very close to average soil pH. If it's too high or low, adjust the soak pH to compensate. This will give you a ballpark starting point for future hand water / soaks. I'd also check the soil pH at least once to see what your soil is up to - sometimes it can be different than the last bit of runoff. If the soil and runoff are the same - you know what to do. If the soil is higher or lower than the runoff, at least you know, and adjust the water pH a bit more or amend your soil to compensate.

For some reason it's reading more complicated than it should be - I'm such a stoner :biglaugh: -MGJ

Rellikbuzz

You determine this with a first testing. Let's say that you are going to start with water PH'd at 6.5. Water into the soil until runoff occurs. Then test the PH of the runoff. For the sake of argument, let's say the runoff PH'd at 5.5. You would then raise the PH of your water to about 7.0, or even higher if necessary, to get your runoff to PH at, say, 6.0-6.5. Conversly, if your initial test of the runoff is around 7.0 or 7.2, you would lower the PH of your next watering to around 5.5-5.9 to get the next runoff in the 6.0-6.5 range.

I can't tell you how much difference this has made in my second batch of plants. First time around I had runoff that was very acidic. It PH'd around 4.8-5.5. I had to add dolomite lime to my soil and raise the PH of my waterings/feedings to around 7.0 just to get the runoff in the 5.8-6.0 range. It actually fried my Apollo Mist plant but the Blue Thunders weren't all that worse for wear. I was lucky. I will still get a harvest off of the Apollo Mist but it won't be anywhere near what it should be. Oh well, live and learn. As I said before, my second crop is already looking much healthier than the first did so I am making some strides as a "noob" grower myself.

Hope you understand my explaination. If not, feel free to ask more questions.

Thanks alot MGJ and Rellik for clearing some things up. I was pretty blazed last night myself so that might have led to some confusion. Hadnt smoked in a while, as i dont have a reliable steady connection for the the kind since i moved to a new state, hence the growing for myself. I appreciate all the help.

Mr GreenJeans

Sat Cat
Veteran
Rellik - very well written, thanks for clarifying! :headbange

Pirate - Very welcome mate :wink: You're in good company - I'm confused whether I'm blazed or not! :eek:

Grow well! -MGJ

3legdog

Good advice everyone & i cannot tell you how valuable testing your runoff can be. It really allows you to doctor your feedings to match(compensate/adjust) your soil ph & hence allows the plants to get an outstanding nut. uptake with every feeding. You both put it well MGJ & Rellik & i also use a bit of powdered dolimitic lime in my soil mix to somewhat stabilize things...good stuff that lime...other nutritional values as well :yummy: .

Also on a similar note i always suggest to use a tds(total disolved solids) meter & get a ppm reading before & after of your feeding. This has allowed to tailor how strong my nute's need to be by testing the run off... giving me an excellent idea how strong my soil mix is & how much i can pump up the volume :woohoo: . Best of luck all & a Big congrats on deciding to grow your own Pirate you will soon be amazed ! Peace 3ld :joint:

3legdog

LOL right on sow...i'm still laughing at my dumb ass since i've been typing that shit for a long time... all crazy sounding :yoinks: :bat:

Good lookn' out buddy :wave: 3ld