What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

how much am I losing with my current light?

valk

I have a 3x3x6 box with a 430/HPS with a hortilux bulb. I was going to upgrade to a 600w box, but $$ has been tight. I figure the difference between the 2 is 18.9 lumens sq/ft. Am I really losing that much yield in not upgrading?

Bonzo

Veteran
hi valk, 430w hps = 53000 lumens, standard 600w hps = 90000 lumens i could be wrong but in i a 3x3x6 space i think its a little more than 18.9 more lumens per sq/ft. if you can vent a 600 properly, and fit it into your budget, i would go with the 600. :smile:

Bonzo

Veteran
hello again Valk. i just did some figurin' and you must mean wattage not lumens. Yes the difference in wattage is 18 or 19 more watts, but you will allmost double the lumens with a 600; 53000 lumens is 5888 lumens per sq/ft. 90000 lumens is 10000 lumens per sq/ft! yee hah, it will definitly increase your yeild if everything else is working properly.

valk

yeah, I said lumens but I meant watts per sq.ft. I have a 420cfm can fan, so I think cooling will be ok.