What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

question about glass pane and light loss

valk

I'm putting the finishing touches on my 3x3x6 box. I'm about to mount my light on the top (outside) of the box. I used a router to create a nice recessed lip in the top for the light to sit on.

My concern is that this won't be air tight and smell will get out. I was thinking of caulking a piece of glass in that space then sitting my light
images.asp
on top.

Would there be any problems with a double layer of glass like that?

G

There is a reduction factor with glass and pyrex, so the thicker and more you use the more light intensity you block, larger bulb's it might not matter as much with smaller one's. I would put the glass in the box and seal it, then set the hood wit out glass on top of that, all should be good to grow.

grow safe.

realhigh.

Mr GreenJeans

Sat Cat
Veteran
valk
For hot applications a contractor friend of mine uses a product called Sikaflex. It comes in a large cartridge just like caulking. I've tried it for other things, and it does last a long time - my oldest application out in the yard - with full southern exposure - is still good after 2 years... Same price as a good weatherproof caulk. -MGJ

G

But how well does it cut. If you seal the hood to the edge of wood over the piece of glass that you sealed in place, how do you change light bulb's or maintance the light???????????

Now seal the glass to the grow chamber, you keep all sealed as you wanted, now set the hood down over the glass, you do not need the galss in the hood. Now you want to seal the light leaks around the edge , use the aluminum tape, it block's out light just fine and handles heat of a lamp good also.

Time to change a bulb, remove the tape and hood, do what you need, set it back down and tape it up again. This will cost a lot less, is much easier to remover for maintance, and should do exactly as you want.

grow safe.

realhigh.

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Glass

Glass

I would say if you dont use tempered glass this could be a dangerous set up. The tempered glass will put up with the heat alot better and if it does break somehow chances are it wont hurt anything... if you dont use tempered glass things could get very ugly :) Just my .02

G

That was a major over site on my behalf, and not good, Babbabud, you are so right, with the idea of a fixed piece of glass at top of the grow chamber, a crack or major miss happening while one is in the unit could be very dangerous, and we are not about risking our life's.

Glad you caught that one, it will cost a bit more, but you can order it to size and the local glass shop can get it to you. Not all but a few garden center's will order it for you also, but they just call the local glass house for it.

Remember you size bulb and how hot it get's, it is about 2 to 3 inch's above the glass.

tempered glass will also handle much more heat than regular standard glass, so do it right and order the tempered glass.

I have one hood with a tempered glass sheild, and one pyrex cool tube, and one hood with a 1/8th inch double strength standard glass shield. Do I notice a difference between them and the bud's, hummmm, not really at all, if there is it is nothing to talk about.

grow safe.

Happy Holiday's

realhigh

Mr GreenJeans

Sat Cat
Veteran
Good questions. The Sikaflex cuts very easy with a knife, it just doesn't split easily without one. I would think if you cauled on the outside rim edge of the glass you wouldn't need much, it would hold well, and you could easily slice into it if you need to later.

I'm going to do this with the light I'm picking up next week, for the same reasons. Smell control.

Cheers -MGJ

valk

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I think I'm going to use realhigh's idea and just use the glass my hood came with (I'm assuming it's tempered enough) to seal into the recess using some Sikaflex. I'll just put the hood on top and seal it up with some foil tape. Thanks for all the great ideas! :)

G

Most all tempered glass has rounded edge's to it and looks a bit different the cut edge of standard glass, and it weigh's a bit more than standard glass. I am not at all sure if hood's sold commercially come with tempered, but the piece I got was order and a part of Sun system's hood's, one of them.

If the weight of the hood is put on the glass, this is added stress that was not factor into the problem, if a piece of molding was used on the top side of the glass that the hood than restested on, well the recess cut would bear the weight of the hood.

Look at what you got, think it out, and I am sure you will come out just fine.

grow safe.

realhigh.

valk

Well, the outside perimeter of the hood has the metal folded under to create a lip for the glass to rest in. Setting the light on top of the glass would still have the recess cut supporting both the glass and light. I think this will work out nicely. Is Silkaflex rated for high temps? It looked like it was for marine applications to me...

G

I have aa sunleaves hood with a 400 hps mounted inside. My hood is mounted outside my c13 cabinet. I use the provided glass; tempered is recommended. Any other glass will shatter from the heat. Your idea of using your hood lense is preferred. You should have no problems mounting. I just laid my hood on top of the cabinet, and exhaust the hood into my ceiling vent space. I also use an air purifier in the growroom, so smell becomes no problem, just good air movement.

Good luck!

Avid

valk

Well, unfortunately, to allow for the hood to sit in the recess I cut, the cut is a little too big for the glass alone. In that, I mean that there's not enough glass to center properly in the large cut. I ended up going to a local glass shop and had them order me an exact size piece of clear tempered glass. 20 3/8 x 20 5/16 (1/8 in. thick) ran me $35. I'll caulk it in place, put the hood on top, then foil tape. Thanks for all the help guys, this was definitely a big help! :)

MERRY XMAS!!! :canabis: :joint: :yummy:

G

I am glad all worked out for you and the grow area.

Merry Xmass to All.

realhigh.