What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

are they sick?

G

MynameStitch said:
GRam, I told you in your other thread that using sodium was bad for the plants, why after you say you stopped using that water, would you go back and use it again?

Yup, very informative post mojo very fine!

Thanks, really. My hat's off to you for taking so much time to help others. :respect:

I had help when I started and it made all the difference in the world.

Peace

gramsci.antonio

Veteran
MynameStitch said:
WAit till you get them recovered first, then put them into 12/12, you do not want a stressed plant into 12/12, otherwise your plant can have a higher chance of turning into a male/female plant ( hermie)

then you end up having balls that open up and shoot pollen everywhere and your sinsema crop gets seeded!

ok i checked this morning and their growth was incredibile, they got truly bigger...

I'm going to buy the BTI and the water. What i have to do today, flush or fert?

Have i to add potassium?

HeadyPete

Take Five...
Veteran
just flush with plain water, ph adjusted with the BTi added. Give them the proper time to dry out some. Next time they need watering, give ferts (complete ferts, including K) at half strength. Just watch and go easy on them for a few days. When they are good and strong then you can switch to 12/12.

Post some pix so we can see how the progress is coming.

You do not need to constantly add things to your plants. Less is more. The marketing tells you to buy, but the plant says "Please, no more". The marketing wants your money but the plant just wants your love and care. You would be amazed at how little fert you need to grow a decent plant. Start with growing a decent plant, then try things one at a time in little steps to see if they help or not.

Another thing: If you plan to kill your plants every time you get a pest you will never have a garden.

Fungus gnats are one of the easiest pest to get rid of and least harmful pests to get. As Stitch said they can harm your plants if allowed to continue on, but the larvae eat dead matter and some roots and can transmit disease to your plants. Best get used to identifying and treating pests if you plan on growing for any amount of time. You will get them again.

gramsci.antonio

Veteran
i've been looking the WHOLE day for BTI, i called people and big wholesale shops... but in this period of time (winter) the only sold is BTK (bacillus thuringiensis kurstaki), and not the bacterium itself but the toxins, are they good for my purpose or not?

Edit: I would love to post some photos... but the image system went down again a little after i uploaded the old ones.

Last edited:

MynameStitch

Dr. Doolittle
Mentor
Veteran
Not sure about that....... but can you get a hold of something called SM90? You can use that too.... it's also used as a fungicide..... also kills mites, gnats and other bugs......

gramsci.antonio

Veteran
ok. I found a place 2 hours by train from my house that has BTI in stock.

But i can't go very soon. They told the can ship to my house in 14 days.

Is that too long? can't i flower in the meanwhile?

HeadyPete

Take Five...
Veteran
For the record, no kurskaki is a different subspecies of bacterium and it affects caterpillars and grubs. The israelensis subspecies is the proper one for fungus gnats.

Spinosad might work on fungus gnats as well. It is also very effective against thrips.

gramsci.antonio

Veteran
Ok. I ordered the BTI. It's going to arrive in 10-12 days. Is this too much? will the fungus gnats spread too much? :(

anyhow here's an update of my plants:

Look: a new symptom appears:

And as you see the ne leaves appears a bit light in color...

Is still the potassium def?
Can i water and fert now?

MynameStitch

Dr. Doolittle
Mentor
Veteran
That tan color is normal after a deficiency has been corrected; it turns necrotic, so I would most defiantly NOT worry about that. Does not look like no more potassium deficiency. When was the last time you gave it magnesium how many days ago?

gramsci.antonio

Veteran
MynameStitch said:
That tan color is normal after a deficiency has been corrected; it turns necrotic, so I would most defiantly NOT worry about that. Does not look like no more potassium deficiency. When was the last time you gave it magnesium how many days ago?

like 7 days ago but @ ph 5.2 trough foliar feeding. So i think it was inefective.
1.5 ml in 0.25 liter of water.

Is there a mg def again?

The sign i show is new, 2 days ago wasn't there.

MynameStitch

Dr. Doolittle
Mentor
Veteran
No it was, I can see it, but you should have added it in with your nutrients, you add it to the plant quickly...... no I see it recovering, but next feeding add a little magneisum in there.

Yes, like I said, the new problem you see is dead tissue from the potassium issue you started to have..... it's gone now so you can't do anything about that brown tissue, it will not spread because that tissue was affected only by the nutrient issue..... so please do not mess with that cause there is NOTHING you can do about it, you are giving your plants way to much love and you end up messing things up when you do that, you have been doing a good job, but you worry about every little thing in the start of your grow and it escalated into issues you have been having. So please calm down a bit, you have some very healthy gals now so you should be proud :)

gramsci.antonio

Veteran
MynameStitch said:
No it was, I can see it, but you should have added it in with your nutrients, you add it to the plant quickly...... no I see it recovering, but next feeding add a little magneisum in there.

Yes, like I said, the new problem you see is dead tissue from the potassium issue you started to have..... it's gone now so you can't do anything about that brown tissue, it will not spread because that tissue was affected only by the nutrient issue..... so please do not mess with that cause there is NOTHING you can do about it, you are giving your plants way to much love and you end up messing things up when you do that, you have been doing a good job, but you worry about every little thing in the start of your grow and it escalated into issues you have been having. So please calm down a bit, you have some very healthy gals now so you should be proud :)

ahahahahhaahahahhaha
ahahhahahahahahhahah

ROFTL

ahahhahaha

HeadyPete

Take Five...
Veteran
Hey, you should be good for 2 weeks with those gnats. They are just a nuisance flying around. They do not directly harm the plants, so the damage will only happen if they are left alone to multiply.

Get some sticky strips to help control the flying ones, and try to let the soil surface dry out as much as you can between waterings. The larvae need moist soil to live and the drier, the better.

Stitch is absolutely correct. Your plants are looking good, don't do anything until next watering, and easy on the ferts. Less is more.

gramsci.antonio

Veteran
Hi dudes. Sorry for not posting before but the grow room is at a friend of mine house, and he was gone, so i didn't checked them for 4 days.

I had some issues:

a) I found out i can't get BTI. The online website has none left in stock and not arriving before march.
My friend didn't watered for 4 days and has spent 1 hours daily killing the flying insects.
The soil got really dry, i hope this has killed them. I still keep the mosquito strip, i have to use anyhow the BTI or i can forget about it?

b) I watered once saturday morning, once 2 hours ago.
My RO water supplier hasn't any more RO water, so i used demineralized water @2 ppm. Is that water ok? Have i to warry about something?

First water:
2.5 liter
3 ml Canna A
3 ml Canna B
1 ml of the same magnesium i gave before
1.5 ml of the same potassium i gave before
4 ml cannazym
1 glass of tap water

ppm: 650, ph: 5.82.

I placed the water close to the exhaust fan, to rise the temp. In half an hour the temp got the same of the room, but the ph rised to 5.96. :( :( :( I gave anyway.

None of the water got out of the pot. The ladies was thirsty!!!

Second watering:

3.8 liters (Demin.+tap water. Total ppm: 82)

8 ml canna A
8 ml canna B
10 ml cannazym
1 ml Magnesium
2 ml Potassium

ppm: 929, ph 5.80.
This time i warmed the water before so i gave straight when the solutiun was finished.
Unfortunatly i did a miscalcultation with water... i thought it was more than 3.8 liters (aroun 4.5) so the ferts are a bit too high :(:( i hope this isn't a big problem :(:(

Anyhow today i also trained the ladies and trimmed the worst leaves.
I think that for the 10th of december a 400 W room will be ready. Do you think i will be able to flower by then?

Anyhow here some photos:

From the first watering:

MynameStitch

Dr. Doolittle
Mentor
Veteran
From the first pic it looks like they are getting burned just a bit; back off on the amount of the nutrients..... also one is showing magnesium in one of it's leaves; fungus gnats are not helping it either as they rob the plant of nutrients.....

if you look online for fungus gnat killer it will work as long as it's safe for edible plants; not sure what products you have which is why I am telling you what it needs to say.

HeadyPete

Take Five...
Veteran
Can you get beneficial nematodes? They work really well on fungus gnats too.

You can spray the soil tops with Safer's soap and that will safely kill adults.

gramsci.antonio

Veteran
GREAT!

I found some BTI, the product is vectobac dt. Unfortunatly there's none information sheet in english...

i found this:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?db=pubmed&uid=14710747&cmd=showdetailview&indexed=google

On the box there's written: "NOT FOR AGRICOLTURAL USE"

Have i to worry? will it hurt my plants?

I've seen none bugs in a week now, have i to use it anyhow?

I've the box here, by my side. This evening i'm going to water the ladies, just waiting your input to put the BTI in the solution...

MynameStitch

Dr. Doolittle
Mentor
Veteran
No do NOT use it on your plants; it's not safe to use for your plants; this was intended for use on something different...... can't you order from an american company or hydro shop and have it sent to you?

If you had to order it from a pharmacy it's not supossed to be used for plants; besides epsom salts...... but the product you have is not to be used for your plants and please DO NOT use it

gramsci.antonio

Veteran
MynameStitch said:
No do NOT use it on your plants; it's not safe to use for your plants; this was intended for use on something different...... can't you order from an american company or hydro shop and have it sent to you?

If you had to order it from a pharmacy it's not supossed to be used for plants; besides epsom salts...... but the product you have is not to be used for your plants and please DO NOT use it

yeah but it's just BTI, nothing more, i wonder why my BTI is not cool and the one from your sites is cool.

If i order from america is 30$ shipping+10 days to make it arrive :(

Maybe in my country they can't use such things as BTI in agricolture?

I haven't seen any bug flying around, can't i forget about them?

The plants look healthy, ASAP i will post pics (the system is down), but can i put them in flower now?

Last edited: