What's new

advice on vertical hung lights wanted.

wylde1

hello peeps.

i have 4x400w hps lights, a shit load of nft and a spare room to grow in.

normaly i do sog with normal hoz hung lights and reflectors but want to try ver hung as it seems the most logical way to use the lights.

i'll still be using nft rather than dwc or freedom buckets as its what i know and iv got all the kit. diffrance being i'll veg longer and space the plants out.

now what i need advice on how to space the lights and plants. what kinda area will 1600w cover doin it this style and how long to veg?

comments welcome from anybody aslong as it aint "get more/bigger lights and use buckets" trust me if i cud use 30,000w i wud. mayb i'll get some buckets for next time tho.

full time daddy
Veteran
4 x 400

4 x 400

id say it should do 8x8 ver hung.

thats 2 feet per side of the light.
as far as a veg...... thats all on how fast they take off......

clone's? seed's?

being ver hung i bet you could veg 4 feet tall at lest .....
.. if you wanted to wait that long...

wylde1

strain in growing at the moment is amsterdam flame from paradise seeds and its from clone.

its quite a bushey plant but it (at least the 1 i have) tends to throw up a tall main cola which means i have to move my lights up and the bottom buds suffer. they do stay quite small like a true indica and i doubt they wud ever grow over 6ft even if u veged them for a year.

yeah 8x8 sounds good.
so in a 8x8 space how many plants? 9 in rows of 3x3 and have the light suround'd or less plants suround'd by the lights? if that makes any sence?

full time daddy
Veteran
well

well

if they grow like you say
it sounds like it would be a great sog plant. in that case i would do as many as i can .....
if you do 8 x 8 thats 64 plants..
one foot from the other
could do 9 x 9 to 81

if you go that high i would look into a mini coil.

Last edited:

wylde1

thanx harry, nice to be here.

00420, i hear what ur sayin m8 but they just dont work well in a sog at all, if u flower them to short they just bush into eachother, streach and all u really get is 1 underdeveloped main cola and popcorn. when grown as a small bush yeald is up quite a bit but all the weight is in the main cola. if i top then yeald is about the same but spread over the bush part.

now what im thinking is if i can light the plant more even and keep the top cola then yeald "shud" b a lot more, hence the idea of lighting from the side with vertical lights.

up till now iv been pullin about 0.8g a watt, (not gr8 but not to shabby) givin me about 22oz from 2x400w hps. acordin to the wright up from paradise seeds the plant can yeald half a key, (16+oz yeah?) so if i aim for 1g a watt (id need that to break even with the extra veg time) and if i use 1600w (4x400w) then im gonna need to pull just shy of 58oz.

so do i
A, grow 9 plants (3x3) to get 6.5 oz a plant
B, grow 4 plants around every light (16plants 4x4) and try for 3.5 oz a plant
or C, try for 12oz a plant and have 5 plants laid out like the dots on a dice with 1 in the middle and 1 in each courner with lights in between?

personaly i dont think the 400s will grow plants that big to yeald 12oz each, they just aint up2 the job and alltho i think i stand the best chance of a large yeald with 16 plants to b honest i just cant stand the thought of all that trimmin so most of the popcorn will end up in the hash maker. so what i was thinkin was 9 plants grown as well as i can with just 400s and get at least 6oz on the 1st bash and hopfully bump that up to around 8 with practice.

is that viable or shud i just b happy with 0.8g a watt? and if the plan is a go'er then how much room shud i give each plant? i liked the idea of 8x8 for a space cus the room im gonna grow in is 8x13 so i'd only have to make 1 wall and each plant wud get about 30x30inch each. is that enough for a small tree (big bush?) grow? i think not but iv never grown like this b4 so i need some advice from some1 that has.

G

welcome brummy

welcome brummy

hello mate, welcome to the best weed site going .

i only live up the road from you , u probably use my growshop,i cant mention names for obvious reasons but im sure well meet up soon :D

try bending the top so the lower branches catch up ,usually works

anyway see u in the chat or later:wave:

wylde1

stands a chance hazy as i tend to spread my shoppin about. ur'll know if i do use ur shop when i post a pic of something i brought moanin it dont work or its killed me plants lol.

hope we get the chance to chat soon m8

wylde1

oh yeah i forgot to say, i have tryed training, toppin, bending and breakin the bleaders neck and the latter does work a bit in lettin the lower growth catch up but when the stem recovers it gets really fat and seems to encorage the branch to streach so back to sq1.