What's new

help me choose a light?

tokeAcola

Well I've finally moved and am looking forward to my new grows. This place is pretty small though, so I don't think the 400 watter is going to see any action for a while.

Like I said, this new place is really small. The only space I've found that can be used to grow is 19" wide x 21" deep x 30" tall, and believe me, I've looked everywhere!

I'm thinkin' that a 150w HPS will fill this space with light pretty good, but I would definately like to squeeze as many watts into this space as possible, maybe a 200w HPS? or even a 250w HPS? Keep in mind that whatever I use, I am also thinking about supplementing it with a small MH (like 70w) to keep internodal spacing short and to help dense the buds a little.

Any advice or suggestions about ventilation would be great also!

OH, and keep in mind that I'm on a budget.

I'll be scrogging and have a veg/mother chamber as well, so everything will be grown from clones.

Thanx for any input.

-- tAc

sm0kateer4204

Veteran
i have to disagree a 250 would be too much heat for that sized space you could get a 150 hps in there but the 70 watt wouldnt do so well in there with it because of heat unless you had really good airflow, i suggest you buy a 70 watt hps and put both 70 watts in there that'll be 140 watts of mixed spectrum lighting should work well i suggest you do lots of low stress training to keep plants in that small space. good luck

tokeAcola

Thanx for the replies y'all.

No, I won't be aircooling the light seperately, but the whole space. The exhaust will be at the top of the cab.

My space is a little smaller than NGB's Stealth Cab's flowering chamber. He used a 150w HPS with good results.

My space is 2.77 sq. ft., I think I'm gonna go with the 150w and supplement with a 70w MH. That's 220 total watts and about 80 watts per sq. ft. :eek:

What kind of cfm am I going to have to move to cool that? Any ideas?

Thanx.

-- tAc

full time daddy
Veteran
small

small

you wont need much of a fan toka......
100cfm should be more then enuff.....
let me dig up a web page i have that has a calc for that.....
{edit} i cant find it all look on the net in the morning....

Last edited:

Dr. D

Veteran
250hps

250hps

Go for the 250 man iuse a 400hps in a really small wardrobe with a heat spreader and u can get the light loads closer to the plants and it gets rid of the heat spot directly under the light and gives a more even light spread.peace

wylde1

id say go for the 250 aswell. i mean runnin costs wont b enough to even consider thinkin about, the heat off them aint that bad and i doubt ur'll have the ballset in ther aswell? (i leave the door shut with no venting on a 4x4 closet and i leave the ballest in ther aswell) so u wont need a huge fan. also when u do get the 400 up n runnin again a 250 makes a nice veg light to feed a 400 i find.

plus human nature being what it is i recon after havin a 400 if u do go with a 150 u wont b happy and wish u had gone for a 250 even if it aint the wise move. and u shud get more bud with it.

tokeAcola

thanx for the replies y'all.

Now I'm thinkin' about goin' with the 250. I think the extra wattage will give me a slightly better yeild and more trich coverage. Maybe I won't supplement with the MH. Maybe I'll just use a small MH? 30-50 watts? would that even make a diff? lol

OH, well, I really appreciate y'all tryin' to help me out. More advice is always welcome. :)

I still have a while to decide since my plants barely germed a few days ago and I have a serperate veg space. woooohoooo! go rubbermaids!

Peace.

-- tAc

chuckyoufarley

Veteran
!

!

go for it TOKE my cab is 16 x37 42 have 2x150 hps 1x100 mh
w/80cfm bathromm fan
Photo URL:
577new_box_002-med.jpg

peace chucky:D

Hypergrl420

So you only use a little fan to cool the lights? I want to get a 250watt for a 2'x2' space. I'm wondering if anyone has any links to a reputable, but relatively inexpensive site to buy a complete system?

any help would be appreciated. Also should I buy a fan for the light or just use the little desk fan. This is in a closet which is roughly 8' high.

thanks in advance for any help.

GreatLakes THC

an Arthur P. Jacobs production
Veteran
Here's a link to an inexpensive 250 watt system...

Here's a link to an inexpensive 250 watt system...

I get all my lights here.

InsideSun

Hope that helps.

GreatLakes THC

G

This site has it all.....fairly inexspensive aswell

www.1000bulbs.com

Ebay too.

I ordered bulbs and such from 1000bulbs .com and had my merchandise in3 days.....and im not part of the continental US.....far north rather!

Hambone

Hi Ya All,

In a small space heat is the issue. For reference, halides run hotter than sodiums. I would consider use of a 'Son Agro' or 'Hortilux' bulb in a sodium fixture for veg and flower. Both Phillips and Hortilux make 250/270 corrected kelvin lamps, and both are made to work with the S50/250watt ballast. Another consideration would be the Compact Flourescent bulbs that are available in different kelvin temps. There are two different 95 watt 'CF' available in either 2700kelvin 'warm' for flowering or 6400kelvin called 'cool white'. I think the best choice would be the 250 sodium using the corrected kelvin lamp 'hortilux' bulb.

Here are a couple of links:
www.pfolighting.com <makers of greenhouse systems>
www.altgarden.com <parts etc., and systems>
www.1000bulbs.com <inventoried 250hps Hort/Son Agro>
www.thcbc.com <relamp parts and wired ballasts>

Take care and stay safe,
HB.

Edit for spelling

Latest posts

Latest posts