What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

With legalization on the horizon...

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What are the chances someone could buy a small piece of land (10ish acres) and support their family with a legal cannabis grow.

I realize the pitfalls and will have a nest egg that should last a few years of low pricing. But in the long term, is it really feasible?

Just kicking around the idea for now.

green404

What are the chances someone could buy a small piece of land (10ish acres) and support their family with a legal cannabis grow.

I realize the pitfalls and will have a nest egg that should last a few years of low pricing. But in the long term, is it really feasible?

Here in Colorado after legalization outdoor cannabis will not sell. You cannot even trade it on craigslist for used stuff.

With cannabis legal anyone can grow a few plants in their yard which makes it worth as much as zucchini. Everyone says "my plants are different" "better then the dispensary" but the reality is they will not sell for money unless they are smuggled to an illegal state.

growingcrazy

I'm already a few years in on a farm here in Michigan, If I wasn't, this would not be the state I'd selected to build a business in. Prices are already coming up on property and right now a market doesn't exist legally that just anyone can jump into.

The market for indoor is around the typical cities. Well grown outdoor and greenhouse flowers still move very well on the market. It is all in what kind of quality you bring.

Good Luck.

EDIT: Most people don't realize just how deep the roots are here in Michigan... Nearly 60+ years of heavy production have come out of this peninsula... Filling bags for the numerous blues and rock shows moving through since the mid-50's and also filling the need for a small near by neighboring city, Chicago... A lot of strains were born and bred here and never left. I have met so many circles that don't elsewhere.

I have plenty of love for Detroit...but it doesn't scratch the surface of what Michigan has to offer.

Last edited:

GOT_BUD?

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Here in Colorado after legalization outdoor cannabis will not sell. You cannot even trade it on craigslist for used stuff.

With cannabis legal anyone can grow a few plants in their yard which makes it worth as much as zucchini. Everyone says "my plants are different" "better then the dispensary" but the reality is they will not sell for money unless they are smuggled to an illegal state.

I wouldn't be growing outdoors per se. I'd use a greenhouse for the summer months for gene searches and seed runs. I'd have an indoor garden for year round production and clone manufacturing.

Land in MI is cheap. Really cheap. And where I live it isn't. And taxes are stupid high. I can easily get 10+ acres and a house equivalent to what I'm living in now for what I paid for the house I'm currently living in. It's been a seller's market where I live for the last year and shows no signs of slowing down.

Realistically I could have this house sold in a few weeks of being on the market, and be on the move by the end of summer.

GOT_BUD?

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm already a few years in on a farm here in Michigan, If I wasn't, this would not be the state I'd selected to build a business in. Prices are already coming up on property and right now a market doesn't exist legally that just anyone can jump into.

The market for indoor is around the typical cities. Well grown outdoor and greenhouse flowers still move very well on the market. It is all in what kind of quality you bring.

Good Luck.

EDIT: Most people don't realize just how deep the roots are here in Michigan... Nearly 60+ years of heavy production have come out of this peninsula... Filling bags for the numerous blues and rock shows moving through since the mid-50's and also filling the need for a small near by neighboring city, Chicago... A lot of strains were born and bred here and never left. I have met so many circles that don't elsewhere.

I have plenty of love for Detroit...but it doesn't scratch the surface of what Michigan has to offer.

I see you're on the west coast, which I where I was looking. I've been perusing real estate sites and a few places have caught my eye. I wouldn't want to go any farther north than Muskegon. And there were a couple that properties that caught my eye in the Holland, Grand Rapids area. Maybe as far as Lansing to the east.

I'm not quite sure yet. Just kind of spit balling at the moment.

green404

I wouldn't be growing outdoors per se. I'd use a greenhouse for the summer months for gene searches and seed runs. I'd have an indoor garden for year round production and clone manufacturing.

Land in MI is cheap. Really cheap. And where I live it isn't. And taxes are stupid high. I can easily get 10+ acres and a house equivalent to what I'm living in now for what I paid for the house I'm currently living in. It's been a seller's market where I live for the last year and shows no signs of slowing down.

Realistically I could have this house sold in a few weeks of being on the market, and be on the move by the end of summer.

When I was younger I worked in the green house ag industry in a northern climate. We grew legal stuff, plants for kmart, seedlings for spring, etc. They eventually shut down because they could not compete with outfits in warmer climates like California.

Agriculture is very competitive with very tight profit margins. In warmer climates they do not have to pay heat, stuff grows faster, earlier, etc all it takes is a little advantage to one up your competition in a cold climate you don't have it.

In legal environments cannabis is becoming very competitive. I would hire a consultant and ask him- Can I grow primo here(trimmed, taxed,out the door) for less the $1. a gram ? If the answer is no you will not make it in the future.

Personally if it was me I would have my eyes on some warm southern dry land with water rights. Really I would be eyeing the abandoned sugar cane field in Hawaii. :biggrin:

growingcrazy

I see you're on the west coast, which I where I was looking. I've been perusing real estate sites and a few places have caught my eye. I wouldn't want to go any farther north than Muskegon. And there were a couple that properties that caught my eye in the Holland, Grand Rapids area. Maybe as far as Lansing to the east.

I'm not quite sure yet. Just kind of spit balling at the moment.

It is all about location on this coast. I am further north than Muskegon in an almost ideal growing climate (as far as northern). That is simply due to geographical location...nothing more. To really find a good spot you need to spend some time at the location. 3 miles in any direction could change the climate quite a bit here... Some areas are much more cannabis friendly than others also.

If you would like you can PM me with questions.:tiphat:

MedResearcher

Veteran
The ever shifting regulation is very rough. You may be allowed to farm on 10 acres, today, then tomorrow you may need 40 acres for a permit. This year they may allow greenhouse on rural residential, next year they may only allow indoor in commercial or industrial zones.

Without a union, canna farmers are really at the mercy of the politicians. We are still treated very poorly, like criminals and heathens.

I think if you want to farm 10 acres, homestead, live off the land, have some sort of side income away from the farm that will keep you a float. You should go for it. It is a nice lifestyle. You may or may not be able to make some income farming canna, if you aren't reliant on it you can just enjoy the land and lifestyle. Getting away from the city, living off the land, no mortgage or cheap mortgage, can be ideal for some people. Growing your own canna, maybe a little extra for friends and family is pretty sweet. It also can be a very hard and poor lifestyle, has its ups and downs just like anything else.

The market is to volatile politically to be able to ensure any returns on investment at this point. Proof of this, the real corporations have not entered the market. Its more venture capitolist's that enjoy risk. A lot of young people, with little to loose, and everything to gain. When there is a true stable market, stable both economically and politically you will see big AG enter the market. Canadian companies seem to be pioneering the industry globally, they are waiting to pounce on the US market.

gl,
Mr^^

p.s. A lot of farmers giving up, or moving on. There are a lot of nice farms for sale, that are getting cheaper and cheaper each time another farm goes for sale. Eagle eye the real estate market in current canna zones, you may be able to snag a super nice farm for a great deal.

GOT_BUD?

ICMag Donor
Veteran
The ever shifting regulation is very rough. You may be allowed to farm on 10 acres, today, then tomorrow you may need 40 acres for a permit. This year they may allow greenhouse on rural residential, next year they may only allow indoor in commercial or industrial zones.

Without a union, canna farmers are really at the mercy of the politicians. We are still treated very poorly, like criminals and heathens.

I think if you want to farm 10 acres, homestead, live off the land, have some sort of side income away from the farm that will keep you a float. You should go for it. It is a nice lifestyle. You may or may not be able to make some income farming canna, if you aren't reliant on it you can just enjoy the land and lifestyle. Getting away from the city, living off the land, no mortgage or cheap mortgage, can be ideal for some people. Growing your own canna, maybe a little extra for friends and family is pretty sweet. It also can be a very hard and poor lifestyle, has its ups and downs just like anything else.

The market is to volatile politically to be able to ensure any returns on investment at this point. Proof of this, the real corporations have not entered the market. Its more venture capitolist's that enjoy risk. A lot of young people, with little to loose, and everything to gain. When there is a true stable market, stable both economically and politically you will see big AG enter the market. Canadian companies seem to be pioneering the industry globally, they are waiting to pounce on the US market.

gl,
Mr^^

p.s. A lot of farmers giving up, or moving on. There are a lot of nice farms for sale, that are getting cheaper and cheaper each time another farm goes for sale. Eagle eye the real estate market in current canna zones, you may be able to snag a super nice farm for a great deal.

I bolded exactly what I was looking to do.

I'd rather be dirt poor and be happy than be rich and surround by soulless individuals like I am now. I want to get away from the masses so bad my teeth ache.

GOT_BUD?

ICMag Donor
Veteran
When I was younger I worked in the green house ag industry in a northern climate. We grew legal stuff, plants for kmart, seedlings for spring, etc. They eventually shut down because they could not compete with outfits in warmer climates like California.

Agriculture is very competitive with very tight profit margins. In warmer climates they do not have to pay heat, stuff grows faster, earlier, etc all it takes is a little advantage to one up your competition in a cold climate you don't have it.

In legal environments cannabis is becoming very competitive. I would hire a consultant and ask him- Can I grow primo here(trimmed, taxed,out the door) for less the $1. a gram ? If the answer is no you will not make it in the future.

Personally if it was me I would have my eyes on some warm southern dry land with water rights. Really I would be eyeing the abandoned sugar cane field in Hawaii. :biggrin:
I had the opportunity to move to Tennessee a year ago, and declined. I'd much rather stay in the north and deal with snow and freezing temps than the heat and humidity the south has to offer.

If I could make a living and support my small family growing canna and selling other items I produce on the farm, I would be a happy guy.

I'm just tired of working for other people and watching them get richer.

Illuminate

Keyboard Warrior
Veteran
If I could make a living and support my small family growing canna and selling other items I produce on the farm, I would be a happy guy.

Fucking a men to that brotha :tiphat:

GOT_BUD?

ICMag Donor
Veteran
What do you guys think the chances are of the legislators allowing farm to table growing? Slim to none?

Sport Farmer

Veteran
I had the opportunity to move to Tennessee a year ago, and declined. I'd much rather stay in the north and deal with snow and freezing temps than the heat and humidity the south has to offer.

Well, you gotta dive in then and not worry about the details or think about it much or you will either talk yourself out of it or never do it. The details will come as you become more active towards your goal and intention. That's the key to manifesting what you want in this reality... The whole society is programmed to think the sky is falling and you cant do it without x,y and z and that's just simply bullshit. If that was true no one would have any businesses or produce anything of value.

Set your intentions on what you want.
Talk as if it has already happened.
Stay positive - Crush any negative ides that come about it
Visualize it - feel it - focus on it

That's really all there is to it... next thing you know you will be doing exactly what you'd hoped and dreamed of doing.

:tiphat:

Useful Idiot

Veteran
Well, you gotta dive in then and not worry about the details or think about it much or you will either talk yourself out of it or never do it. The details will come as you become more active towards your goal and intention. That's the key to manifesting what you want in this reality... The whole society is programmed to think the sky is falling and you cant do it without x,y and z and that's just simply bullshit. If that was true no one would have any businesses or produce anything of value.

Set your intentions on what you want.
Talk as if it has already happened.
Stay positive - Crush any negative ides that come about it
Visualize it - feel it - focus on it

That's really all there is to it... next thing you know you will be doing exactly what you'd hoped and dreamed of doing.

:tiphat:

THAT!! That right there would win best post of the month if there was such a thing. Great advice.