What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

PLEASE HELP: What really makes good after burn smell & taste?

Sativavina

I have grown Super Lemon Haze from Greedhouseseed 2 times. I use General Hydroponics Flora Trio both time.
The 1st one got me big buds, not really sticky but smell is still good. After 10 days of drying and 4 weeks of proper curing, my buds still smell harshy and bitter taste AFTER BURN. The smell BEFORE BURN is still so good!
The 2nd one I did use Kool Bloom beside the GHs Trio. The smell of buds are remarkable increased both before and after curing. Unfortunately, the smell still was hay, harsh and the taste are still bitter. I dont know why my buds were so good with smell BEFORE BURN but AFTER BURN it feels like my weed is trash.
Both times the weed is potency, with low tolerance pppl, its really strong sativa high.

My biggest question is still why my weed did not smell good AFTER BURN, and Why they taste bitter AFTER BURN???
Please help me!

810FireFarm

flush your medium before harvest
properly dry harvest
cure dried harvest

harsh tastes: fertilizers in plant, water in plant, chlorophyll and sugars in plant

Some plants just taste much better than others...that's part of the fun of finding your own gems by planting seeds

Sativavina

Thank you guys!
I did flush for 10 days till 70% of the leaves turned yellow. I dry in a AC room, temp was around 19-21; RH was around 55-65. However, I just cured in mason jar for 7 days. Could it be General Hydroponic Flora Trio? May be this line of nutrients are designed for inorganic medium so that there were nutrients in the buds when we burn them?

Betterhaff

Veteran
Curing can be a long process. I just smoked a J earlier from some that has (only) been in the jars for a few months. Way better then shortly after harvest.

Sativavina

Thanks!
I know curing is a crucial process, but would it be the only reason to make my buds taste bitter? Should I change to Fox Farm nutes line? Is it right to state that Gh Flora Trio makes buds taste bitter after burn and inhale the smoke?

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Grow in a well built organic soil. Learn about senescence and allowing a plant to be the only thing that dictates what it eats. Chasing bottles and jumping ship from brand to brand only makes you a dependent consumer of something else.

Remove yourself from the equation and learn how to cultivate the proper environmental conditions surrounding the foliage and surrounding the root zone and by default the plant will grow itself to optimal potential.

The plant grows itself...always. We only present it with stimuli.

NOTHING tastes as good as soil grown, water only, organic cannabis.

dank.Frank

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
Thanks!
I know curing is a crucial process, but would it be the only reason to make my buds taste bitter? Should I change to Fox Farm nutes line? Is it right to state that Gh Flora Trio makes buds taste bitter after burn and inhale the smoke?

I don't think the GH nutrients are the problem, but I think you said it- you're adding nutrients to nutrient-rich medium, and probably getting some kind of build up that ten days of flushing can't fix.

I thought the GH products were just for hydroponics. Anyway, better luck next try. I grow Greenhouse Super Lemon Haze, and it's one of my best, so get her dialed in.

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
I have grown Super Lemon Haze from Greedhouseseed 2 times. I use General Hydroponics Flora Trio both time.
The 1st one got me big buds, not really sticky but smell is still good. After 10 days of drying and 4 weeks of proper curing, my buds still smell harshy and bitter taste AFTER BURN. The smell BEFORE BURN is still so good!
The 2nd one I did use Kool Bloom beside the GHs Trio. The smell of buds are remarkable increased both before and after curing. Unfortunately, the smell still was hay, harsh and the taste are still bitter. I dont know why my buds were so good with smell BEFORE BURN but AFTER BURN it feels like my weed is trash.
Both times the weed is potency, with low tolerance pppl, its really strong sativa high.

My biggest question is still why my weed did not smell good AFTER BURN, and Why they taste bitter AFTER BURN???
Please help me!

you need the ALL BUD pheno Dawg! then you'll CRUSH it! Hard Mode!!!

[YOUTUBEIF]jE79uBNvF5I[/YOUTUBEIF]

seriously grow organic but it's really about genetics if you're looking for something that will flavor a room like good cookies will.

Sativavina

Many thanks to Mr Dank.Frank; Jelly Fish and Chunkypics!
Im a newbie no more doubt. Thanks to learn from u guys!
The local market does not allow me to buy pro mix soil. However, with dank.Frank's advice, I'll try to find my own fomulated soil...seeking for quality organic products.

stoney917

i Am SoFaKiNg WeTod DiD
Veteran
I don't think the GH nutrients are the problem, but I think you said it- you're adding nutrients to nutrient-rich medium, and probably getting some kind of build up that ten days of flushing can't fix.

I thought the GH products were just for hydroponics. Anyway, better luck next try. I grow Greenhouse Super Lemon Haze, and it's one of my best, so get her dialed in.

100% the issue, 3 part n organics dirt can be done but involves constant monitoring, flushing, n the wrong way to grow and when growing in organic soil gh 3part should be the last bottle u grab, much better ways to get through harvest...
Check out Vermicrop makes a organic top dress that u just water in mid run if needed that i hear nuthin but excellent hings about it... N its cheap.. Always got teas n shit to, even a bottle of botanicare, would be better to have ,... If u must feed with a salt make it a one time feed followed by 2 3 4 flushes.. Plant dependant.....

heatherlonglee

I think it's time to hear this said here on ICmag! I was just talking with a local grower and they were complaining about poor curing strains. Any strain that isn't just fire from the day its taken off the plant regardless of how you dry it; that strain is trash. On a good strong keeper strain you could let that one little bud fall back behind the pots in your tent; find it 3 weeks after harvest and it should still be fire! Not cured fire but still funky good bud no question. The strain is trash get another one is what I think the problem is when I hear about a poor cure no taste, hay stuff. The strain isn't worth keeping try another strain.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Main reason most cannabis smells nasty when burned is dust, hair, bear/dog/moose dander, pollen, spores and so on. Where ya growing and are you using air filters?

Second main reason is from plants loaded with excess nutrients. No amount of flushing will put back the quality removed through overfeeding. It only takes one element in excess.

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
I think it's time to hear this said here on ICmag! I was just talking with a local grower and they were complaining about poor curing strains. Any strain that isn't just fire from the day its taken off the plant regardless of how you dry it; that strain is trash. On a good strong keeper strain you could let that one little bud fall back behind the pots in your tent; find it 3 weeks after harvest and it should still be fire! Not cured fire but still funky good bud no question. The strain is trash get another one is what I think the problem is when I hear about a poor cure no taste, hay stuff. The strain isn't worth keeping try another strain.

It's not necessarily the strain, but maybe you just got a bad seed. Lots of people will tell you, there's nothing wrong with Super Lemon Haze, you just gotta find that keeper bean!:tiphat:

Homebrewer

Veteran
Many thanks to Mr Dank.Frank; Jelly Fish and Chunkypics!
Im a newbie no more doubt. Thanks to learn from u guys!
The local market does not allow me to buy pro mix soil. However, with dank.Frank's advice, I'll try to find my own fomulated soil...seeking for quality organic products.

This is why your weed is subpar. It's not the method, it's your experience level. What's the solution? About 10,000 hours of growing (more like a couple years of growing).

Last edited:

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
thats right
Welcome to ICMag!! :)

What I believe the other grower was referring to is what I call "genetic blasting power." The ability of the genetics to power through all of the stupid sh*t the grower throws at it, and STILL have it produce enough terpenes for decent smoke.

Oh, you want fire and you suck at growing? You want strains with massive GBP, buddy! Yep, that'll fix yer issue. :D

MedGrowerTom

Organic Dank Land
Veteran
First two things that come to mind for AFTERburn smell and taste would be anything with a haze in it tends to have a good smell that can linger for a couple days. Next up, try organics, nothing and I mean nothing, will beat organics when it comes to flavors and smells. And heck, alot of us that brew teas and have living soils, can get some darn good yields, and still get good veg growth. Check out the organics for beginners thread, it is really easy, and in my opinion, is a lot easier then measuring out many dif salt based ferts like a mad scientist. I premix my tea mix and have it in ready to go batches, all I do is bubble some water, and add my tea bag n molasses and bubble some more. That being said, some ppl that are not organic can still produce some good tasting/smelling buds so to each their own, but I have not seen many. organic ftw2

link to organic thread is: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=53792

blowingupjake

I’m so super sick of reading “nothing tastes as good as organic”
That’s bullshit.

A happy hydro plant will mirror a happy true organic plant- how do I know?
I did a side by side with my favorite cut before committing completely to salt based hydro. I had the luxury of being handed a very good GH flora recipe and have only tweaked it a bit to suit my environment. Still growing AAA grade and my friends had no idea I switched until I mentioned it.

Stop spreading misinformation to support your personal preferred growing method.

Learn to read plants and give them what they need; organic or not- this is the key to maximizing a plants potential.

Ok, off my soap box now. :tiphat: