What's new

Please advise! Sativa safety zone from hybrid pollination when perpetual micro growin

earthwyrms

Please advise! Sativa safety zone from hybrid pollination when perpetual micro growing and breeding at lower nuggets.

i need to know, when going 12/12 from seed (11/13 actually), what time zones give a safe buffer from unwanted pollen contamination when staggering Indica/Hybrids with long flowering Sativas (which need to be kept uncontaminated unless a deliberate hybrid is made)?

in
one
box

if the flowering period for a Indica/Hybrid is somewhere between 45-70 days and it is put under 12/12 or 11/13 from seed/sprout, what is the actual time before it flowers?

knowing this, when can a Sativa of 100+ day flowering be started with the same method, in same box?

as soon as sex shows, the plant is able to be pollinated?

how long does it take from seed/sprout under 11/13, for a, 100+ day flowering period, Sativa take before it can be pollinated?

with this data, hopefully, perpetual growing and breeding can be done with only single batches being able to cross pollinate within themselves and not between batches.

fuggzy

That a loaded question. 45-70, and 100+ are big gaps. You might want to just research growing 12/12 (11/13) in general. Sounds like that would be a good place to start. I understand the question (i think), but no clue on the answer. When growing 12/12 they still veg for 2-3 weeks from what I understand, that could be wrong however, but they DO veg. I'm doing a 12/12 now, but it is still a newish grow. Maybe good ol' trial and error are needed here.

Purpzz

That a loaded question. 45-70, and 100+ are big gaps. You might want to just research growing 12/12 (11/13) in general. Sounds like that would be a good place to start. I understand the question (i think), but no clue on the answer. When growing 12/12 they still veg for 2-3 weeks from what I understand, that could be wrong however, but they DO veg. I'm doing a 12/12 now, but it is still a newish grow. Maybe good ol' trial and error are needed here.

Same here, cant really understand what was asked. From my experience theres no difference when running 12/12 from seed or vegging the plants on 18/6 or similar. Plant will flower when it's mature enough, indicas usually between 3-4 weeks, sativas 3,5-4,5 weeks. Running 12/12 from seed will keep the plants smaller and decreases yield, vegging plants on 18/6 or similar will give you bigger plants and more yield. Which light schedule to use depends on the grow room size, if the height is an issue then 12/12 from seed would be better, IMO. Or veg for 3 weeks, flip it and LST the shit out of it :biggrin:

Pollinating plants and keeping them in the same grow room is not a good idea, as the pollen can fly everywhere when the fans turn on. I have only made seeds on purpose once and when I did, I pollinated the female plant and just forget it for 2 weeks in a secluded place(low light intensity, no timer no nothing so she had no connection the flowering room. After 2 weeks she was moved back to the flowering cab into the corner which had the lowest airflow and it produced good mature seeds without pollinating the other plants.

Purpzz

Forgot to add, that plants can be pollinated as soon as the first pistils/hairs appear. If pollinated early the plant will not buff up and it will force it's energy into producing seeds not buds. So if you want loada seeds, let it flower a bit. Seeds are ready when they are dark brown and start to fall out of calyxes.

shawkmon

Pleasantly dissociated
Veteran
ya can polinate a lower nug or 2 and have plenty of seeds and still have plenty of smoke, i nug the size of my thumb can have 50 seeds in it or more,just pull out the males and stick them in the bathroom or on a deck, they will continue to flower and drop pollen , just break off a flowering male branch , and rub it on a bud with loads of white hairs, tap the stem a bit and watch the pollen fall out , be sure to keep the fans off when ya do the deed, ive had accidents with the fans on before ,the white hairs will turn red and wither up and seed will start forming in a few days , enjoy growing out crosses ya make , its so fun

Purpzz

ya can polinate a lower nug or 2 and have plenty of seeds and still have plenty of smoke, i nug the size of my thumb can have 50 seeds in it or more,just pull out the males and stick them in the bathroom or on a deck, they will continue to flower and drop pollen , just break off a flowering male branch , and rub it on a bud with loads of white hairs, tap the stem a bit and watch the pollen fall out , be sure to keep the fans off when ya do the deed, ive had accidents with the fans on before ,the white hairs will turn red and wither up and seed will start forming in a few days , enjoy growing out crosses ya make , its so fun

I'll just want to add that if working with males seems to be hard work, try to find a good male, drop the pollen on tin foil and wrap it up, store in fridge and it will be good for pollinating the chicks, just use brush covered in pollen on pistils and good to go. No need to grow males anymore.

Also 50 seeds might not be enough as only half of them are good to us to produce ladies and some seeds just wont start(50 seeds will give us 15-20 girls). So pollinate more if in need :)

earthwyrms

so a 7 or 8 week indica (49-56 days) under 12/12 will take 3 weeks (21 days) to veg.
and a long flowering sativa under 11/13 will take 3-4, 4-5 weeks (21-28, 28-35 days) to veg.

so 49+21 to 56+21, 70-77days to grow the indica.
if breeding uncontrolled (or to prevent mishaps (hermies)) then...
70 to 77 minus 21 to 28, 28 to 35 days...

>>> after 49-42, 42-35 (7 week indica) to 56-49, 49-42 (8 week indica) days from planting the indica the sativa can be safely planted without the indica pollinating the sativa, possibly.

isn't it probably good to have males so there is fresh genetic stock to evolve it?

i read cut pollen in plastic bags will open over time. has anyone here tried that? (that seem the safest way to collect pollen)

Last edited:

Purpzz

In theory you have probably calculated everything correctly, but in practise things sometimes won't work out as good as in theory. Different environment, phenotypes etc. Still it seems pointless to risk when much safer ways of making seeds can be used.

There's nothing wrong with finding a good male, collecting it's pollen and storing in freezer. The quality of the pollen wont reduce that significantly, im not really sure how long can it be stored this way tho. So to be safe maybe getting new fresh pollen every year/2 years would be fine.

It would probably be safer to cut the pollen sacks into plastic bags or even better would be glass jars, as plastic bags still breathe and are harder to work around. There's only one but, gotta be sure that the sacks are ready to release. White paper/tin foil under males works also when no fans are nearby, when ready the pollen will be dropped on the surface under the plant.

When pollinating with brush you don't need alot of pollen, just tip your brush into pollen, shake some off and cumshot your ladies pistils.

And if all this fails, just do a seed run and you will be good for decades.

Latest posts

Latest posts