What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Enough BS

sandbar

Enough. I can speak only for myself, but what I have to say is aimed at an entire industry.

Fuck the LED grow light industry.

Those of us with access to custom metalworking tools are aware how fucked the LED growlight markup is. Markup is part of capitalism. Ok fine, but if companies make over 50% profit margin on these items, why are there no companies that offer a top quality product?

Sick of bullshit, we did our research. We know how hard it is to get high bin 3590s. We understand the value of a custom machined heat sink grow light fixture.

Will a company grow some fucking balls and offer a fixture with 4+ 3590 High bin LED for under $1K? How shit the LED companies are right now you could charge $2K for that light while it cost you $500-700 to make and people would jizz in there pants to give you their money.

Any companies have balls to make a quality LED or we stuck with this bullshit?

fuggzy

Just build it, and screw the middle men. It is bs how much they charge. If there wasn't such a demand on them there wouldn't be such a mark up. Only real fix I see with out the market crashing, and it obviously wont soon, is build it yourself. I personally don't have any metal working equipment, and built my own. It is rather easy once you understand the electronics of it.

Sforza

Veteran
Just like you grow you own weed, because it is not that hard to do and you get a better product for a lower price, build your own LED fixture. It is not hard to do, if you follow some of the guys who know that they are doing, like SupraSPL.

REALSTYLES didn't know squat about LEDs or drivers but he picked SupraSPL's brain about how to build a high-quality, efficient system and now he has perfected his build and he builds one after another. Check out his thread, REALSTYLES DIY CXB3590 TUTORIAL.

REALSTYLES even tells you where to get good COBs at a good price in his thread. If REALSTYLES 8 COB is too big and/or expensive for you, just follow the same principles and build a 4, 2, or 1 COB version, but you did specify a 4+ COB bin, so skip the middleman and DYI.

Last edited:

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I think the importance of high bin is over-rated.

IMO, it's like adding a super charger to an already high performance engine. Most will never max out the base engines capabilities

DIY has helped drive a few high quality led manufacturers to bring quality panels to those of us who are ok with giving reasonable profit for the crazy amount of R & D that goes into designing a high quality PAR balanced product with a warranty they will actually honor

Most companies, regardless of product, mark up 5 times to cover wholesalers. Alas, most of the led retailers selling these products sell lies, and fail to honor warranties. They prey on those who lack a proper led education: shame on you

Cost relative to useful life is harder to evaluate

examples

Amare Technologies SE 220 (cob hybrid) is 220w @ $695 for one= $3.16/w

Transcend Lighting D 200 is 230w @ $999= $4.34/w

The TL seems like overcharging until you know that it is an entirely different way of producing light and should result in double the useful life (with ~ 90% efficiency) as 'conventional led designs

I am currently growing with both. Drop by my thread to see them in action

Firebrand

Here's another build I found this morning while surfing...

This set up uses the Vero 29 4000k, mounted on an arctic 11 heat sink, powered by Meanwell LPF-90-42. The cooling fan runs off of a Meanwell LPV-20-12 ... Extremely simple nothing fancy.

Get the COB and EZmate connector from Digikey.
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/BXRC-40E10K0-L-23/976-1308-ND/5180317

Get the drivers from OnlineComponents.
http://www.onlinecomponents.com/mea...ca3f309-c261-4eaf-94b4-d2091ae617f1csVMjoE3MI

http://www.onlinecomponents.com/mea...ca3f309-c261-4eaf-94b4-d2091ae617f1csB03MRxQh

Get the heatsink/fan from NewEgg.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186061

80 watts of super efficient COB-LED for around a 100$ (It's modular, build as many you need, one at a time)
The driver for the fan/sink will power at least 6 modules, so you only need to buy 1 of those for every 6, that bumps the cost back 10$ a unit.
Don't forget to order thermal paste for mounting the COB to the sink.

angelgoob

I have a feeling HPS bulbs, ballasts and hangers are cheap before the markup too.

There are a couple reasons for LEDs, one is efficiency per watt, the other is because it's cool. Third it's cool to do.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
theres a lot of suckers....ha ha ...and yeehaw..I have done my own mag ballast kits wire work and making metal boxes and such for em...if you have access to the tools its easy...I can weld,forge ,and do metal fabrication easy..my friend has the bending/brake/English wheel gear and such....I don't hav any led experience yet tho..but I been reading and waiting for best pricing for components...I donnt see them replacing hid in my garden but using them for veg and supplement in flower interests me a lot...

Latest posts

Latest posts