What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

a ppk for a 6 plant limit

Grow4Flow

D,
These are cantex fittings correct? what size? just bought 2" bulkhead fittings and they were fricken expensive.

Nice clean setup! i'd to use the muck buckets that fit the tuff stuff tubes (70 quart?) but can seem to find them at HD or Lowes....gotta do some online shopping.

Looking forward to the new grow

Mrrite008

Grow4flow,

Are you still using the red lava rock at the bottom of your tailpipe? I purchased the same drain fittings, once assembled, it became more clear as i noticed the gap between the screen and the bottom of the fitting.

Mrrite008

You may find the the 70qt "muck tub" locally under "Fortiflex Large Capacity Bucket 17 1/2 Gal." I do believe they are identical, ill know for sure tomorrow.

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
Are you not worried about that hooking all four res's together will transfer any nasties?

not really, i have never had any bacterial problems in one of these. which is really funny considering that the solution is not aerated.

also, i will be running a single mag-drive 2400 and need to be supplied from several reservoirs to accomplish the full flood.

these res's at operational level hold about 15 gal ea.

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
D,
These are cantex fittings correct? what size? just bought 2" bulkhead fittings and they were fricken expensive.

Nice clean setup! i'd to use the muck buckets that fit the tuff stuff tubes (70 quart?) but can seem to find them at HD or Lowes....gotta do some online shopping.

Looking forward to the new grow

these are "carlon" brand from lowes but they all will work.

for the rookies these are electrical fittings not plumbing. the electrical ones have machine thread and will tighten all the way down. put amazing goop plumbers edition on the male threads, covering them, and put the males on the inside.

bobblehead

Veteran
D9 is that garden hose cut on an angle run through a hole in the sidewall eliminating the need for stupid bulkheads?

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
1. and 2. complete plant module. the bottom container is a 40 quart muck tub from a farm supply store and the top is a 3 gal feed pan from the same place. the top of the
medium is 14" from the floor.

3. this shows the only modification you have to do to the bottom container. a single 13/16" hole. no glues, no fittings, no clamps.

4. the tailpiece in place with flow limiting plug in place.

5. same shot with limiting plug removed.

if you look carefully at the base of the tailpiece there are 4 3/16" holes drilled in the top container about an inch out from the tailpiece.

i'll explain all of these plumbing changes later.
Your first runs with the 'original' PPK was with these same muck tubs as the rez as I remember (but you got them at wally world)...
Original...HA! every time you have a new idea, the system changes.. but it's the same..:woohoo:
I've been running 3.5 gallon top/bottom for some years now.. am starting to lean to 3.5 bottom bucket and 2 gallon top pot. growing in a tent limits my veg time so most runs do start at about 12" and root density isn't very much in the 3.5 bucket...

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
Pretty much failed using the cheap floor dry shit. But I think it was do to user error. I started my younglings in solo cups of floor dry and hand watered once or twice per day Till they started calling for more then I set em up on drip for 8 I tp'd them into 3.5 gallon buckets of floor dry and instantly went to 16 times a day watering. I think I just drowned them not giving them a chance since they were good in the solo cups I can only infer that it was my mistake it watering to much after the tp.
I have used botanicare ready gro af mixed with clay pebbles and rice hulls. Wouldn't recommend it, the coffee ground coco is to much like dirt. I did and am having success with the piece coir coco because of how loose it is making for killer drainage and little compaction so far.
I feel like I need to give the floor dry another go. What are u using for medium currently d9 and all other ppkers that follow?
this will be my first run with MVP. previously, I did very well with NAPA #8822 floor dry, rinsed thoroughly. but with Jacks & CalNit, not botanicare..

EDIT: if the 'maestro' has changed, I didn't get the letter.

Miraculous Meds

Thanks for the reply snook. D9 and others, u guys using turface, 8822, or what? I bought a bag of 8822, went back to napa bought a few more bags and they switched to the cheap calcinated clay that u can get anywhere for floordry. I had troubles with thecheap shit so looking to see what some of u ppkers are having success with.
thanks, MM

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
D9 is that garden hose cut on an angle run through a hole in the sidewall eliminating the need for stupid bulkheads?

yep, that's it! this is 5/8" id black neoprene rubber garden hose made by goodyear, sold by home depot, among others.

i have to cut it at an angle to get it through.

the hose is 7/8" od so has to be forced through a 13/16" hole. seals just like a uniseal. we ran one set up like this for three months without a leak.

i use a step bit. cuts a precise hole.

so this and the new tailpiece eliminates most gluing steps that we were doing before. speeds up and simplifies assembly.

Miraculous Meds

yep, that's it! this is 5/8" id black neoprene rubber garden hose made by goodyear, sold by home depot, among others.

i have to cut it at an angle to get it through.

the hose is 7/8" od so has to be forced through a 13/16" hole. seals just like a uniseal. we ran one set up like this for three months without a leak.

i use a step bit. cuts a precise hole.

so this and the new tailpiece eliminate most gluing steps that we were doing before. speeds up and simplifies assembly.

Genius, It just keeps getting better, glad I found this out now, ive used bulk heads in that spot also and they leak slighty until I use a little thread seal tape.

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
Snook whats your goal weight per plant with the 3.5 top bucket, or the 2 gallon top bucket?
i havent run the 2 gallon top pot yet.. i'm not sure of the pulse rez volume requirements, over flows suck.. and with the 3.5gal bucket, there is none of that (anymore). usually reach (strain dependent) 6-8 oz dry / plant.
Once, back in the day when we were drilling gazillion holes in the 'pot' bucket, did a 3.5 gallon bucket inside a 5 gallon bucket.. it worked OK but D9 went away from the holes and so did I but it seems similar to these new horse trays inside muck bucket setup.

now I have to go look at the pictures of the garden hose/bulkhead development.. GL MM

Latest posts

Latest posts