What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

any fellow glassblowers out there?

izzy spun

Hey everyone, I was just wondering if there were any fellow glassblowers on here? I've been working glass for about ten years now, and always love to connect with others who share my passion.

Izzy

It saddens me that this thread is empty.... I thought there would be way more glassblowers on icmag.

I took beginner glass blowing at my community college for a semester, holly shit it is challenging. I have enormous respect for anyone working with glass. Sadly, the class was shut down due to budget cuts the next semester.

I am in to lamp working, and when I have some spare money (yeah right...) I would love to get a torch and try my hand at some bubblers and stuff like that.

Post some pics of your work!

Prof Sublime

Hard working pothead
Veteran
Im an amateur glass blower here. I love working in the flame shop the most but I wont miss a beat in the hot shop either.. Cold working and kiln shop is fun too! Glass is really fun medium to work with. Cheers to my fellow glass blowers.

I used to blow glass, it's gotten too expensive lately. I really miss it. I have thought about trying flamework, but theres something about offhand glassblowing that appeals to me which flameworking doesn't seem to offer.

DIGITALHIPPY

Veteran
there are no good glass blowers in socal. everyone buys cheap shit from china.
give excuses about prices etc. and dont want to do the work im willing to pay any price for....

real sad. i cant even get a decent bowl without having to go hunting around.
im not talking about roor, illidelph etc, just quality handmade bowls. i like non-commercial style pieces. i swear i cant throw $100 at a bowl because everyone is too lazy and dont have anything for me to buy.

if anyone can do imprinted bongs(patterns) let me know i have a custom piece i need made.

i can guarntee you that you can find glassblowers if you are willing to pay what the work is worth. Americans can't compete with Chinese glass on price alone. The energy costs eat us up.

headiez247

shut the fuck up Donny
Veteran
there are no good glass blowers in socal. everyone buys cheap shit from china.
give excuses about prices etc. and dont want to do the work im willing to pay any price for....

real sad. i cant even get a decent bowl without having to go hunting around.
im not talking about roor, illidelph etc, just quality handmade bowls. i like non-commercial style pieces. i swear i cant throw $100 at a bowl because everyone is too lazy and dont have anything for me to buy.

if anyone can do imprinted bongs(patterns) let me know i have a custom piece i need made.

There are tons of ridiculously skilled glassblowers in socal, they just don't advertise because they work for brokers so they just do custom pieces for friends.

I did it off and on for half a year just for fun. It's very very hard. I know multiple glass blowers who make pieces that have been featured in magazines.

Most of the people I know have been blowing for 10+ years and it is truly entertaining and amazing to watch them work.

The last piece I had custom made for me I just blazed with him and watched him make it over the course of 5 hours.

I'm sure people won't find it that crazy but this is literally exactly what I asked for, had special meaning to me.

25ujfjl.jpg

Tako

ICMag Donor
Say yes to glass Blowing

Say yes to glass Blowing

Whats up IC, I'm a fellow glassblower. I have been rocking the torch since '99, and making pipes full time since '05. I am up in the Pac NW and we have plenty, killer, local glass.
@ Izzy Spun- What kinda torch are you working on? Do you have any pics of your work?
@ Headiez247- Thats a cool looking tube, I bet it looks cool when you milk it and the Polar Bear disappears into the fog.
@ Digital Hipppie- Thats sad to hear that there is only commercial glass in socal. Or that its hard to find local glass.

Here are a few pieces I made this year. The inline bubbler I made in April, for the 20th. It has a matching ice pinch bowl.
Thanks for looking, -Tako

Inlinebub 42010 007.jpg

9-22-10 116.jpg [/ATTACH]

headiez247

shut the fuck up Donny
Veteran
Whats up IC, I'm a fellow glassblower. I have been rocking the torch since '99, and making pipes full time since '05. I am up in the Pac NW and we have plenty, killer, local glass.
@ Izzy Spun- What kinda torch are you working on? Do you have any pics of your work?
@ Headiez247- Thats a cool looking tube, I bet it looks cool when you milk it and the Polar Bear disappears into the fog.
@ Digital Hipppie- Thats sad to hear that there is only commercial glass in socal. Or that its hard to find local glass.

Here are a few pieces I made this year. The inline bubbler I made in April, for the 20th. It has a matching ice pinch bowl.
Thanks for looking, -Tako

View attachment 88829

View attachment 88830 [/ATTACH]

Cool stuff man. Welcome to IC.

I used a Bethlehem Barracuda Torch which was fun as hell. We were making mostly ice pinch bowls production style for a distributor for a while while learning how to do other stuff. I had done it for about 6 months before my partner fucked me over and I lost pretty much everything including equipment. Haven't been blowing since. It was fun while i was doin it tho and I respect glass a lot more now.

Tako

ICMag Donor
Bethlehem's are great torches. Thats too bad you had to stop melting glass, people in the industry can be a bit weird/shady. The good news is you will have all those fundamentals if you decide to pick it back up again. Thats the best way to learn, is just to keep at it.
Thanks for the welcome, I have really been digging all the posts, pictures, and information, in all these forums!
Bub from '09
Picture 010.jpg

whodair

Veteran
any fellow glassblowers out there?

i quit, kept burning my lips ....

but ive been to corning glass in corning NY, very impressive indeed !!

Tako

ICMag Donor
Ha ha I hate that. I haven't burnt em in a while, but I still fillet my lips now and again. When a sharp "tooth" of glass sticking out the end of a blow tube and then I bring it to my mouth, not paying attention, Fing slices my lip so bad. Bleeding all over the place.
Corning would be great to go visit, if I ever make it to the east coast I want to visit their museum. I have been to Chihuly's Glass Museum in Seattle before, that place is epic! They have an air plane engine from Boeing, on top of their roof in the hot shop for ventilation! Talk about moving some air, I wonder what the CFM's on that are? hehe.
Some inline Ash-catchers from '09
Picture 001.jpg

Nice work Tako - is that AP tubing?

Piper up here in northern michigan. Been blowing glass for about 3 years now and make a pretty decent living on it. Have to really diversify yourself and get a lot of sales outlets.

Looking to take on an apprentice for a couple years who wants to learn to make pipes. Got a large prodo catalog that I'd like to teach someone who really wants to get into glass work. Not cheap to get started - you'd buy your own torch, kiln, tools, glass, etc. About $1500 if you do it on the cheap.

Get in touch if you're in NW Michigan.

Tako

ICMag Donor
Frog Dome

Frog Dome

Thanks CowboySpcd! Its great to run into a fellow full time piper here! The bubbler was made with some DAP tubing I made myself. Howz the glass scene in MI? I heard Ann Arbour has some decent glass? My friend Robinhood blows glass in Chicago with his shop-mate Ghost. Are you close to them?
I hope you find the right apprentice, I am sure there are some eager students willing to learn in your area. Maybe on this forum?
I like not having any apprentices/employees right now, I don't have to be a responsible employer anymore. This has given me the freedom to travel and do collaboration projects with other great artists. Just last week I was doing a collaboration in Scott Deppe's Shop with Brock. We should have some pics soon, but are waiting for a stand, for the pipe, to be built. I am traveling to Eugene this weekend to hang out at the Eugene Glass Blowing School, they are having their year end benefit party. It should be a great time!
-Cheers!
Some shots of a Tako- Frog Dome, with Dichro Leaf (We hand pulled the eyeball murrini in my shop!)
11-12-10 129.jpg

11-12-10 130.jpg

11-12-10 131.jpg

11-12-10 132.jpg

BrainSellz

Veteran
damn son you are absolutely killin it.....black bub up there is def the fav...anyhow enjoy the party sounds like fun....

G

guest5703

Thats dope, I've always been a fan of glassblowing but havent really been able to take any classes yet. Also it kind of worries me when you guys mention things like burnt lips or cutting your lips open lol. Also hot as fuck on the lungs or something right? But if you are still doing it after ten years, I suppose its worth it eh? Peace

Tako

ICMag Donor
Darkness Shirlock

Darkness Shirlock

Thanks Brainsellz! I really like the black piece too, btw its actually a dry hammer, but whatev's.

@ Caligreen- Dude glassblowing has its hazards, but if your careful you can do it safely. I only get cut or burned once and a while, when I'm not paying attention, or just working on autopilot. If you have an interest definitely go check out some lessons. Its fun!

A cool Dry Shirlock from 2010

Latest posts

Latest posts