What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Caution when using "Hot Shot No-Pest Strips."

minds_I

Veteran
Hello all,

It occurs to me that one group of growers prefer one poison over another and have pros and cons for the other methods.

If you are going to use a poison, why then worry about the relative safety of the product.

I use NPS and had no problems.

Others use floramite with great success.

Its easier to get the NPS at a local hardware store.

Right now you can get floramite cheap on ebay.

Anyway, if you have to use pesticides, may as well nuke the bastasds.

As to poisons ingested...if you knew what the american food industry allows into our food supply would make you run screaming into the night...by the way, NPS (diclorves)sp is used in great quanities in warehouses where food is stored in bulk.

Check out Food Inc.

just my point of view.

minds_I

uefear

I have one that I put out from time to time. I keep it in a ziplock when I aint using it.

During lights out I will usually stick in the no pest strip and also turn off the ventilation and then let the no pest strip do its thing in the non circulated room. Then remove in the morning and repeat every night for 5 - 7 nights. Then I put it away for a good month or two.

They work, just don't chill with them near by.

thekingofNY

Cannasseur
Everything i read about Dichlorovis(sp) said that it can't be absorbed by plants, not thru the roots or leafs. I wish I would have saved the link cause i did alot of searching to find good info.

There is no doubt the fumes are toxic to animals and humans. They are also heavier than air... so it will concentrate at the bottom of the house. Good or bad depending on if someone lives or sleeps in the basement or 1st floor if you don't have a basement.

Wait...What?

Veteran
being alive causes cancer. new car smell causes cancer. coffee causes cancer. chemical sweeteners cause cancer.

i live in an asbestos house. with an asbestos garage [the miracle fiber of the 1950s!]

a no-pest strip is the least of any of our worries.

Mr.Hades

Some of you just need to take a chill pill... Why are some arguing to the fact that the chemical is absolutely harmful to humans and animals? I dont get it, its like you want people to start licking these things before they go to sleep at night.

Some of you make good points but most of them are completely irrelevant. Like the above post... (Just using your post as an example.)

This thread is simply means as for growers to use them correctly and to use "caution" when using these strips. Like I said again, I use them myself, they are effective at getting rid of mites. But, I seldom use them and if I do, I take the proper precautions so that even if it did indeed cover my plants with something that may harm them or us, that no one would suffer any ill effects and the maryjane that we consume is safe for everyone. Not to mention again, that some people use these things wrong, and have their family, pets, and themselves breathing in this chemical for a long period of time.

This threads just here for information, its not here to hurt you guys... haha

Hank Hemp

Veteran
WOW

WOW

How well it works is not the issue. Is the chemical getting ON our plants? Seems it would almost have to, to be effective, or does it work as a gas? I don't like the idea of smoking this insecticide, Know what I mean Vern. Alot to think about and ponder. :joint: :canabis:

attila76

When stating the potential dangers of any pesticide its important to actually read what is said about it. Also, when it comes to the toxicity of any substance health concerns are largely a matter of dose. Levels of exposure in relation to the toxin really matter. Also accumulation matters because if low levels of the substance quickly break down, so what. However, if low levels slowly build up, you can eventually have high levels and a potential problem. Such is not the case with dichlorvos.

Some quotes from the Dept of Health and Human Services.
http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/tfacts88.html

Emphasis added-

"Studies on people who were exposed to dichlorvos by breathing air in the workplace containing LOW LEVELS of dichlorvos have not shown ANY HARMFUL effects. Animal studies have shown that breathing HIGH LEVELS can cause nervous system effects."

THE BOTTOM LINE: BEING IN A ROOM WITH PEST STRIPS IS SAFE.

"INGESTING LARGE doses may cause nausea and vomiting, restlessness, sweating, and muscle tremors, while VERY LARGE DOSES may cause coma, inability to breathe, and death. Animal studies have also shown effects on the nervous system when animals drank water or ate food containing dichlorvos."

THE BOTTOM LINE: DONT PUT THEM IN YOUR MOUTH BECAUSE IT'S NOT SAFE.

"Dichlorvos DOES NOT appear to ACCUMULATE in plants, fish, or animals."

THE BOTTOM LINE: LOW LEVELS OF dichlorvos STAY AT A LOW LEVEL AND IS THEREFORE SAFE.

attila76

Dichlorvos is bad shit. Read about some of the lawsuits that Shell, the original maker of the pest strip, settled out of court.

Kids have gotten seriously sick from this shit.

NPS are gross and for lazy growers imo.
Large corporations get sued all of the time for bogus reasons. Very often they settle out of court, not because there is merit to the case, but because they do not trust the public (the jury) to be fair to the facts. Turning corporations into the boogie-man is how sleaze-bags (former prez candidate) John Edwards make a living. It comes from a mindset that is based on ignorance, paranoia, covetousness, and greed. Lawsuit abuse is a serious problem that causes all sorts of completely safe products to be pulled off the market.

If kids got sick from it they probably were ingesting it.

Mr.Hades

When stating the potential dangers of any pesticide its important to actually read what is said about it. Also, when it comes to the toxicity of any substance health concerns are largely a matter of dose. Levels of exposure in relation to the toxin really matter. Also accumulation matters because if low levels of the substance quickly break down, so what. However, if low levels slowly build up, you can eventually have high levels and a potential problem. Such is not the case with dichlorvos.

Some quotes from the Dept of Health and Human Services.
http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/tfacts88.html

Emphasis added-

"Studies on people who were exposed to dichlorvos by breathing air in the workplace containing LOW LEVELS of dichlorvos have not shown ANY HARMFUL effects. Animal studies have shown that breathing HIGH LEVELS can cause nervous system effects."

THE BOTTOM LINE: BEING IN A ROOM WITH PEST STRIPS IS SAFE.

"INGESTING LARGE doses may cause nausea and vomiting, restlessness, sweating, and muscle tremors, while VERY LARGE DOSES may cause coma, inability to breathe, and death. Animal studies have also shown effects on the nervous system when animals drank water or ate food containing dichlorvos."

THE BOTTOM LINE: DONT PUT THEM IN YOUR MOUTH BECAUSE IT'S NOT SAFE.

"Dichlorvos DOES NOT appear to ACCUMULATE in plants, fish, or animals."

THE BOTTOM LINE: LOW LEVELS OF dichlorvos STAY AT A LOW LEVEL AND IS THEREFORE SAFE.

Not entirely true my man... Did you partake in the studies? You dont know exactly how they were done or all of the factors that were involved in the studies... Theres a huge possiblity that they did not test low dosages for a long period of years... Theres a possiblity they didnt even test it on humans. Infact there are plenty of factors that you have to consider that they did not test for.

The fact is that its a dangerous chemical and should be used cautiously wherever you use them... Would you use it in the same room as a newborn infant because they say its "safe?"

i have mites and just put up a hot shot strip...

i though i'd check out ic mag about any user that tried them, and i find this thread its a good one but there is so many different opinions i dont know what to do!

i dont want my family to get hurt but it cant be that bad

i like the idea of keep it up a week with no vent, and then air the room or house out when the kids are at school..etc.....

bicyclebenny

I use one about once a month at lights out for one night, then reseal it in its original package. No mites ever. I also smoked ciggies for thirty years, so I'm hosed no matter.

D

djam

This is why growing your own plants you control your own medicine .
I am scared to think whats in some of the hash and buds ive purchased .

gnarly

Not entirely true my man... Did you partake in the studies? You dont know exactly how they were done or all of the factors that were involved in the studies... Theres a huge possiblity that they did not test low dosages for a long period of years... Theres a possiblity they didnt even test it on humans. Infact there are plenty of factors that you have to consider that they did not test for.

The fact is that its a dangerous chemical and should be used cautiously wherever you use them... Would you use it in the same room as a newborn infant because they say its "safe?"

You didn't partake in the studies either, which is something to pay attention to in your argument here, and furthermore you've done no studies of your own.

And so while one body presents evidence from research, you present evidence from anecdote and skepticism. And when you follow up with 'the fact is it is a dangerous chemical', you're leaving out the relative evidence that discusses the doses and exposure rates required to *be dangerous*.

And so I put it to you, did you drink water? It is a dangerous substance. (Should I leave out that you have to drown on it or drink a shitload of it for it to kill you? or fall on a sharp shard of frozen water?)

Be a skeptic all you want but until you involve yourself in the science you are no more qualified than a kindergardener.

Here: http://pmep.cce.cornell.edu/profiles/extoxnet/carbaryl-dicrotophos/dichlorvos-ext.html
Fate in Humans and Animals
Amongst the organophosphates, dichlorvos is remarkable for its rapid metabolism and excretion by mammals. Dichlorvos was not detected in the blood of rats, mice or people after exposure to atmospheric concentrations of up to 17 times that normally reached for insect control in homes. Exposure of rats to 11 mg/m3 (250 times the normal exposure) for 4 hours was required before dichlorvos was detectable in the rats. Even then, it was detected only in the kidneys. At 90 mg/m3 (2000 times normal exposure), dichlorvos was detected in most tissues of the rat. Following exposure to 50 mg/m3, the half-life for dichlorvos in the rat kidney was 13.5 minutes. The reason for this rapid disappearance of dichlorvos is the presence of degrading enzymes in both tissues and blood plasma. From the gastrointestinal tract, dichlorvos is absorbed into the portal blood, rather than into the general bloodstream. From the portal blood, it is moved to the liver where it is rapidly detoxified. Thus poisoning by nonlethal doses of dichlorvos is usually followed by rapid detoxification in the liver and recovery. Rats given oral or dermal doses at the LD50 level either died within one hour of dosing or recovered completely (3, 6).

Dichlorvos does not accumulate in body tissues and has not been detected in the milk of cows or rats, even when the animals were given doses high enough to produce symptoms of severe poisoning (3).

--- also, to another person wondering about the breakdown of dichlorovos. Half-Life of chemicals mean how long it takes for a given amount to become half the amount. So a gram to half a gram, half a gram to a quarter of a gram, etc.

http://www.speclab.com/compound/c62737.htm
Dichlorvos may be released to the environment during its production, disposal and use as an insecticide in households and on crops and livestock. Dichlorovos is one of the more volatile organophosphates. If released into water it will hydrolyze with a half-life of approximately 4 days although its half-life varies considerably between pH 4 and 9. It will degrade very slowly at pH 4 and quite rapidly at pH 9. Biodegradation may aid in its disappearance, particularly when acclimated colonies of microorganisms exist or under more acidic conditions when hydrolysis is slower. Bioconcentration in fish will not be significant. The Henry's Law constant indicates that volatilization of dichlorvos from environmental waters and moist soil should generally be slow. The volatilization half-lives from a model river and a model pond, the latter considers the effects of adsorption, have been estimated to be 57 and over 400 days, respectively. If released on land, dichlorvos will leach into the ground water where it will hydrolyze and also degrade through chemical and biological processes with reported half-lives ranging from 1.5-17 days. If released into the atmosphere, dichlorvos is expected to exist almost entirely in the vapor phase in ambient air. In air, vapor phase dichlorvos will react with photochemically generated hydroxyl radicals and ozone with estimated half-lives of 2 and 320 days, respectivley. Human exposure will be primarily from indoor air where dichlorvos is used as an insecticide and from food which has been prepared where it is used.

By the way, your pet collars might have it in them too.

Mr.Hades

^I can clearly tell from that post youre just here to argue... Find something more constructive to do instead? :)

Latest posts

Latest posts