What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Secret Jardin Grow Lab Club! Wattage doesn't matter!

sednal

From my expierece, which is much like Thurdunkels, The vent and exhaust wholes are plenty to maintain smell and negative pressure. If you keep the bottom air vents open, the odor controll obviously wont work as well as when they are closed.

To asnwer your question about if the tent smells when you open it compared to closed, thats just obvious. Opening the tent is like getting kicked in the face with a skunk/fruit boot depending on strain, but when closed, is almost completly masked.

Again this depends on the CFM's of your fan and how big your tent is and how much negative pressure you are able to maintain.

When i close up all of the velcrow flaps at the bottom, all 4 sides of my tent are sucked in pretty good, and if i open one vent i can stick a piece of paper next to it and it is sucked hard against the tent, proving the negative pressure

As far as reducers, why do you need a 6 to 5, why not just a 6 to 4 so that it easily fits in the 5" opening of the tent. 6 to 4 reducers are much easier to get and can easily be cut down to make them as short as possible, which is what i had to do.

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran
Hows the smell when you open the tent? I mean is the tent stinkin inside but the odor sock keepin it in? I thought of gettin a odor sock because of the price. But always voted against it since i havent seen to many of them used.

Well indicameds it seems to be doing it's job, right now the the exhaust fan is off since it's kinda loud so it stinks if I stick my nose in there but when lights are on and the fans going I don't smell shit! I also keep my house smelling like vanilla from the Air Wick Essential Oil plug in things and they work GREAT!!! So yes I would get a Odorsok it seems to be working well and it's reusable for a year!

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran
RE: Odorsok, guys, be aware, I don't think I've read a GOOD review on that product yet. General consensus seems to be: avoid. :(

I had read 50/50 mixed reviews when I searched around before I got it, and I found a few dudes with BIG gardens that swore by them being close to the Can filter he had so we'll see when it's fully budded in there haha I don't need to worry too much my neighbors are cute stoner chicks on both sides of me!

S

Seismic

Good to hear you got chill neighbors Thundurkel, hopefully the odorsok will do fine by you. I personally have only had experience with can, phat, dutch breeze, and Profilters. So far I found the best for my situation to be a 8" phat filter hooked to a 8" elicent, though I can see how that might be a bit overkill for most tent users here.

Odorsok is the one you are supposed to be able to wash out right?

Last edited:

indicameds

Cute stoner chick neighbors huh... I need to move in with you then.
I got a can 9000 filter but its on another grow and I cant afford to take it off that one right now. In about 50 days itll be free'd up. And then im tearing down that cab, but I need something until then for one of the tents. The other tent is gonna be veg and I dont ever worry about filtering veg.

Big Beans

Beans Means Highns
ICMag Donor
I like the tip about Metal Halide bulbs for the last 2 weeks of flower

I'll be trying that this time round

I dont have a grow tent but an 80 x 80x 180cm approx wardrobe I built myself.

I saw the Secret Jardin stand at the UK hemp expo and they had a size and shape ffor every corner. Has anyone tried their TNeon Reflector light for cheap fluoroscent bulbs?

slowandeasy

Veteran
Quote: As far as reducers, why do you need a 6 to 5, why not just a 6 to 4 so that it easily fits in the 5" opening of the tent. 6 to 4 reducers are much easier to get and can easily be cut down to make them as short as possible, which is what i had to do.[/quote]

Well for obvious reasons, such as restriction. A fan with 6 inch ductwork will have greatly lowered CFM from moving down from a 6 to a 4. 6 to 5 not as bad. Fan/filter will not work to full potential if you reduce too much. Not saying it wont work, just not as well. Also, the smaller ductwork makes more noise.

Laventille

Has to be said, early on. Peeps may get the wrong ideas.
The only thing these tents are good for is providing a seperate environment that your plants will enjoy.

You can't hide a tent in full swing jammed with herb. Not with a velcro flap, or a sok, or anything other than a secure space that no one else can go in... and if you have that, then you don't need a 100% lightproof or 100% odour tight tent.

This is obviously not in many manufacturers blurb. They would like everyone to think that mum won't detect this throbbing obelisk in the back of the bedroom closet, cos it's zipped up tighter than a gnats chuff.

sednal

Quote: As far as reducers, why do you need a 6 to 5, why not just a 6 to 4 so that it easily fits in the 5" opening of the tent. 6 to 4 reducers are much easier to get and can easily be cut down to make them as short as possible, which is what i had to do.

Well for obvious reasons, such as restriction. A fan with 6 inch ductwork will have greatly lowered CFM from moving down from a 6 to a 4. 6 to 5 not as bad. Fan/filter will not work to full potential if you reduce too much. Not saying it wont work, just not as well. Also, the smaller ductwork makes more noise.

Agreed. It just seemed to be my best bet because my can9000 had 4 inch ducting coming out so instead of gettin 1 6-5 and one 4-5 i just went with 2 6-4's. And i did this just becuse of the readily available 6-4's wrather than going to a custom duct shop and paying out the ass.
Oh yeah i missread the part about 6" fan ducting, my canfan has 4". Sorry!

Again, WHY THE 5" wholes Secret Jardin and Grow Lab??

On another note, My Home Box XL(origional makers of Grow Lab) has 6" holes!!! thing is a beast. 4.5'x4.5'x6.5'

slowandeasy

Veteran
Has to be said, early on. Peeps may get the wrong ideas.
The only thing these tents are good for is providing a seperate environment that your plants will enjoy.

You can't hide a tent in full swing jammed with herb. Not with a velcro flap, or a sok, or anything other than a secure space that no one else can go in... and if you have that, then you don't need a 100% lightproof or 100% odour tight tent.

This is obviously not in many manufacturers blurb. They would like everyone to think that mum won't detect this throbbing obelisk in the back of the bedroom closet, cos it's zipped up tighter than a gnats chuff.

No offense dude, nobody claimed tents to be low key on the stealth department looks wise. The whole point of it is to have a controlled environment. With proper venting and scrubber, it should be odor free. Plus, anyone who grows should have a totally light proof environment for proper flowering. Some people run there lights at night, so having a lightproof tent is essential for "daylight".

indicameds

Well said SlowAndEasy.
I want to point out, I wasnt asking about the smell of the tents when in flowering, but rather the odor sock. My buddy has a rather large tent and a smaller one. He has a 1k hid running in one with a Ebb&flo table packed full with a 60plant sog and last time I was there it was in full bloom.

When I walked into the room, I couldnt smell anything upon entering. Once the tent was unzipped I could of course smell the budding plants, but that is any flowering room, wether it be a sealed room, tent or a hard shelled cab.

With the proper carbon scrubber and the right exhaust fan used right. It will make for a odor free room that it is in. I think your off base with your post Laventille. With that said, you are right about part of it. They are not stealth out of the box. I mean its a tent sittin in your room. Its deffinetly not a wardrobe closet. But if placed in a closet that no one uses it will simply disapear. Its up to you to provide the right filter for smell extraction and the right fans for silence. And as far as light proofing goes, I cant comment on as I havent run a tent yet and mine wont be here until tomorrow. But ive yet to see any one complain about hermies or anything using a well made tent from a reputable company. And if they have most issues was more than likely traced back to stressed plants or a less than perfect enviorment for the plants.

Well everyone that is my rant for the night.. take care and stay high. Ill get some pics up of the new tents in a day or two. And Laventille dont take it the wrong way, I wasnt knockin your post only stating my opinion.

Laventille

Sorry if my previous post came over sniping at you indicameds. I appreciate your measured response.
How bad is "off base" man? Any chance of getting back on it? :1help:

I reckon one post pointing out the (obvious, to seasoned growers) negative aspects could be beneficial to prospective buyers (going for their first grow), in the face of so much bloody enthusiasm! (which I share).

I was given a gentle reality check by the retailer when buying mine...and my requirements are minimal. Turns out the waterproof floor is its most valuable feature!

I should probably have waited for someone to post: Will my landlord be able to see a dr80?

Technique

I love my tent,

its no the Secret jardin brand however.. am i still welcome here? haha

running a 1000w cooltube, odor sock, centrifugal fan, home made muffler.
4 bucket rdwc, 1/4hp chiller, and pondone 8000 air pump.

Had an overflow problem. flodded the whole thing.. water will slowly leak out the waterproof bottom but it takes time to get thru both layers. water left on the floor also took some of the reflective material off..

I shall report on what i think about the odor sock in a few weeks.. might put it in the clothes dryer to activate it before i start flowering however.. (it does say to do this right?)

indicameds

Hey its all good man. My post probably came off in a different way than meant also. Your not off track so to speak, I mean you made good points and they were right in certian situations. I just think they were off base for this thread is what I meant. It just that this isnt a thread about how stealth grow tents are. But I think it is posible to make em fairly stealthy.

I just got my tents in the mail today so Ill be posting some pics in the next couple days. And a review of the growlabs from what i gather before I get some things flowering in em.

Well ima quit ranting until i get some pics taken to contribute to the thread. Take care guys and stay high..:joint:

Sorry if my previous post came over sniping at you indicameds. I appreciate your measured response.
How bad is "off base" man? Any chance of getting back on it? :1help:

I reckon one post pointing out the (obvious, to seasoned growers) negative aspects could be beneficial to prospective buyers (going for their first grow), in the face of so much bloody enthusiasm! (which I share).

I was given a gentle reality check by the retailer when buying mine...and my requirements are minimal. Turns out the waterproof floor is its most valuable feature!

I should probably have waited for someone to post: Will my landlord be able to see a dr80?

Laventille

All good is sound. :joint:

Get your erection in action indicameds, and in the mean time... this buds for youuuuuuuuu

picture.php

Walt Jabsco

the DR80 has 5" openings because it is designed to run 4" ducting and have 250 watts HID max. stuffing it with more watts than that is possible but its really not intended for more than 250 watts. 4" ducting is more than adequate for cooling 250watts but may not be optimal for more than that. :2cents:

indicameds

I got the tents in today. I didnt have much time tonight to set much up. But I did get the small cab up. Im running a grow lab 60 with a aircooled 250watt with a S&P 125td inline fan. A lumatek digital ballast, and Xtra sun air cooled hood. With a can 9000 carbon filter. This is gonna be the head stash tent for personal. I got a larger one to set up also and another gl60 to set up with floros for mothers and clones. Im tearing down all my hard shell cabs.
And now for some pics while its still empty.

I still gotta hang the filter and route the cords out the tent and place the ballast out side. And then I got to hang the fan and try and cram the ducting in it with no room left on the sides of the hood. But all in all the tents seem great so far. Good zippers, tough material and easy to brake down if need be.
Ill update more when I get my five 3 gallon hempy buckets in it and get the fan and shit running. Then ill move on to settin up the others. Take care and stay high guys..:joint:

DankSide

the DR80 has 5" openings because it is designed to run 4" ducting and have 250 watts HID max. stuffing it with more watts than that is possible but its really not intended for more than 250 watts. 4" ducting is more than adequate for cooling 250watts but may not be optimal for more than that. :2cents:

The Dr80 can get along just fine with a 400 watt.

Dr60 is best for 250watt coverage IMO. With healthy plants and a well planned scrog you can net 1 gpw easy from it. I have seen a 250 in a DR/GL 80 and there was plenty of room left over. Tents are about maximizing light output, being stealth and maintaining the dark period even if lights in the room are on.

Stuffing the dr80 with 400 watts is not only feasible and efficient, I'd recommend it.

As for the exhaust - if you aren't venting back into the room or in a hot summer, I don't see why a 200cfm or so 4' extractor wouldn't work.
I use a vortex 173cfm 4' to cool the 250 I have in a smaller DR/GL 60 vented right back into the room the tent is in and temps are constantly 73-75. Never went near 80 except for summer

Mist

I love my tent,

its no the Secret jardin brand however.. am i still welcome here? haha

running a 1000w cooltube, odor sock, centrifugal fan, home made muffler.
4 bucket rdwc, 1/4hp chiller, and pondone 8000 air pump.

Had an overflow problem. flodded the whole thing.. water will slowly leak out the waterproof bottom but it takes time to get thru both layers. water left on the floor also took some of the reflective material off..

I shall report on what i think about the odor sock in a few weeks.. might put it in the clothes dryer to activate it before i start flowering however.. (it does say to do this right?)

What the hell, the reflective material came off from water sitting on the floor?
Whatever brand of tent that is, it isn't made very well or of good material. I have spilled plenty of water on the floor of my tent while doing inbetween grow cleaning. And I mean that I get in there with a hose and spray out each ebb&gro plant site with a hose and spray gun connected to a sink. I always just take a towel and sop up any puddles and let the rest air dry. It is one of the things I love about having a tent. The floor can be mopped to keep it clean without any damage.
I would look into something of a better caliber tent and you won't have that problem. Don't mean to be bashing your tent, but there is much better out there for a low price.