What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Super Cheap Mass Cloner

mpro

novice: how are your cuttings coming?

I believe greatful said he scratched the 'skin' to encourage growth.

sysprog

Novice, I find I get quicker roots if the clone is taken so that a pair of leafs are at the bottom. Scarring along the stem also may help.

G

I'll post up some pics and a description later... I've been meaning to, but life has been busy...

DrLongbottom

Veteran
Dont stress so much,... with G.H.'s system you almost cant mess up,you will get roots if you cut no angle with no extra nodes, what I mean by this is even poor cuttings stand an excellent chance of rooting. I think the most thing to make sure of is you have at least 4 inches of perlite in the pan and bury the clones deep and secure firmly with perlite. Sometimes I scrape the cuts sometimes I dont, scraped cuts seem to produce more initial roots. peace D.L.

Desiderata

Bodhisattva of the Earth
Veteran
Thanks Dr.Longbottom with all the reassurance and the 4" deep with perlite and a secure fit down deep around the clones.

"and I have been using wick method for a couple of years...
they are under a 27wCF..." by Grat3fulH3ad

Bro, would 4' (2)-40 watters fluro one cool and one warm work fine, or is that still too much light? Say 12" away from the tops?

I've bought everything. The wicks are now $2.99 at HD, but the dishpans are still a DOLLAR! I've painted two of them black. The Family Dollar store only had white ones.

Two more questions bro:

I've been flushing the mother with rainwater for two weeks or more to remove the extra N out of the shoots (still on the mom). They are showing N and Mg deficiency now.

Is it too late to make cuts with a slight def showing?

I went ahead and feed them a medium 20-20-20 Peters/Mg and already they are greening back up. I figured that was best while I build the cloner.

Should I take cut's form the revegged top shoots, or the bottom limbs?

Thanks a million for your invention! I know I can make this work.

G

Desiderata said:
Bro, would 4' (2)-40 watters fluro one cool and one warm work fine, or is that still too much light? Say 12" away from the tops?

Two more questions bro:

I've been flushing the mother with rainwater for two weeks or more to remove the extra N out of the shoots (still on the mom). They are showing N and Mg deficiency now.

Is it too late to make cuts with a slight def showing?

I went ahead and feed them a medium 20-20-20 Peters/Mg and already they are greening back up. I figured that was best while I build the cloner.

Should I take cut's form the revegged top shoots, or the bottom limbs?

Thanks a million for your invention! I know I can make this work.

The lighting sounds fine...

Healthy limbs root better...

Is the plant reved and growing again? if so any vegatative limb or shoot should root...

mpro

Desiderata: If you are only using tap water, there is no need to paint the containers.

maybe have your floros 2-3 feet from the floor, then raise the container till your cuttings like it. These are plants that have been around for millions of years they can take some abuse.

just Keep it simple

G

Mpro... nice looking cloner there... I have found that blocking the light extends the useful life of the pearlite...

Desiderata

Bodhisattva of the Earth
Veteran
GH, thankyou. The mother is a re-vegged Williams Wonder bx2. She has been revegging for two months and is covered totally in 6"-8" shoots. I'll green her back up some more before I make cuts. I won't worry about too much Nitrogen in the shoots, I guess. Of course I won't over due it either. I'm a couple weeks behind because of all the confusion lately. So now the WW is flushed too much. She greened up instantly though except around the edges yet.

Mpro said: "maybe have your floros 2-3 feet from the floor"

I'll do as you did bro in your picture! I'm getting a picture in my mind now of how.

Thanks a million guys!

Desiderata

Bodhisattva of the Earth
Veteran
GH, okay, it helps keep the green algae down. I'll still use the black pans with tap water for the Clorine to control bacteria/fungus right?

Mpro, oh yeah, man are those some beautiful green clones! That's why I better green up some more. Haste makes waste.

mpro

gratefull: Thank you for sharing your method. Wish more people looked into perlite as a medium. I'm growing in perlite/vermiculite @ about 4:1 and It couldn't be easier.

desiderata: Thanks bro. It's my first go...so we'll see how everything turns out.

Desiderata

Bodhisattva of the Earth
Veteran
mpro, by the looks of it, you are well on your way to success. I'm amazed how large your leaves are, and so healthy looking. I have that large horticultral perlite now, and before it's gone, I know it's perfect for the mass cloner.

I'm glad you mentioned vermiculite and the ratio bro! I was wondering about the ver also. I have some large left of that also. I believe I'll go 4:1 too. It should help retain alittle more moisture with the perlite.

Thanks again for helping!

G

Thats pretty cool, but have you built a cheap-o bubble cloner? If so how does this cloner compare to the bubble one?

Desiderata

Bodhisattva of the Earth
Veteran
THC, that black monday when OG went down (or Sunday) I was planning on spending the whole day on checking that out also, but...........I was a day late and a dollar short. I was about half way through all the cloning FAQ's when she hit the ice berg and sank.

Some valid opinions wouldn't hurt I guess if GH don't mind. GH can probably answer that question, or has GH ever tried the cheap aero-bubbler cloner?

I'm gonna try this mass cloner first. I have a good hunch that I'll be trying to build a bigger one next.

Last edited:
G

Damn talk about bad luck desi.. I had the exact same thing happen with FIM.. the day before OG goes down, I was like ok tommorow im gonna read the thread on FIM again, this time look at the pics then try FIM'ing my plants.. the next day, poof its gone.. and I ended up screwing up the FIM and just topping instead.. but thank goodness ive burned those images of the cheapo-areo cloner into my head, ill be needing to build one soon

G

I switched to this method after some hit and miss with the cheapo-aero...
The pearlite will retain enough moisture on its own...
I have done a bit of hydro with only pearlite and it works well...
The vermiculite can't hurt, though, I've just never used any...

Desiderata

Bodhisattva of the Earth
Veteran
Grat3fulH3ad said:
I switched to this method after some hit and miss with the cheapo-aero...
The pearlite will retain enough moisture on its own...
I have done a bit of hydro with only pearlite and it works well...
The vermiculite can't hurt, though, I've just never used any...

GH, I'll stick with using straight large perlite. My large vermiculite is contaminated by the open elements anyway. I know this needs to be a clean and sanitary job. BTW, should I wash out the dishpans first with mild detergent/10% clorox. Duh, stupid question, right?

Desiderata

Bodhisattva of the Earth
Veteran
THC, It sucks that we all lost a part of our selves over at OG. I just thought OG was like the sun, it would shine forever. I was stopped dead in my tracks on cloning until I remembered about this thread. I thought I lost Gra3fulha3d's mass cloner over there and found it in my subscribed threads here.......sheew, what a break,......"I'm so glad!"....(Cream)

GH, I'm going to re-read the entire thread again. You've been a champ with your generosity and answers. Thankyou so much!

I'm going to build it tomorrow and start with the re-vegged Schromy D and take cuttings. She is still real green I guess because she's been in a 10gal, where my WW mother is in a 5gal.

Last edited:
G

Desiderata said:
GH, I'll stick with using straight large perlite. My large vermiculite is contaminated by the open elements anyway. I know this needs to be a clean and sanitary job. BTW, should I wash out the dishpans first with mild detergent/10% clorox. Duh, stupid question, right?
The cleaner the better...:D