What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Mylar...Might save your ass?

Military

ya :p thanks pseudo krypto Thats what I do :p my lights on are during the day, because then i really dont have to worry about light leaks. And the sun heats up sides of the house and everything else is warmer :p

green_tea

Military said:
BUT maybe I was thinking of an X-ray style IR device.. that would have to see through the "wall/object" in order to detect the heat signitures from human bodys...

people may say such a thing doesn't exist, but if the camera in the SR-71 was able to zoom in so far that if you had a quarter in your hand it could tell you if it were heads or tails, i'm betting the tech they have currently is magnitudes higher than that.

If i recall reading correctly, also make sure you pay special attention to your warm air exhaust, if you have it where its blowing on an outside surface, its going to be creating a huge hot spot. (a huge giveaway to a grow; i mean who has their dryer going 12/7 ?)

TGT

Tom 'Green' Thumb
Veteran
This was an excellent read! Great job Military, and I agree it should be a sticky.

After reading this I realize my grow is very safe as it is in the middle of the basement with empty rooms on all exterior walls. There is 4 - 1000's so I was a little concerned. With just a little work on my part I should be able to totally make my room invisible.

Thanks again for all the great information!

TGT

Military

Nice TGT :p Ya 4x 1000watters is pretty much enough heat for a good detection.. But If you got it setup like that and you got your hot air venting INSIDE another room in the basement then have that room venting the COOLED hot air out, you gold :p

I already posted about a 3 page review with FLIR technology, I cant remeber the thread and im not about to go into another long winded rant when this has already been throughly observed several times around ICM.

Its not the mylar that is going to save you.

What you have to do is control all heat issues with intake/exhaust and supplement with air conditioning if necessary.Regardless if your using 400 watts or 400,000 watts; If you can control the heat, then mylar is unneeded.

Not to mention DEA has shown IR pictures of grows that were utilizing mylar to hide their grow showing it useless and to prove their technology was superior.

The fact is my grow room is usually the coldest area in the house and when the air is exhausted it is pulled with cold air so even the exhaust is no more than 76degrees which is nothing suspicious.

But im a medical cannabis patient and only grow for personal use so I really have little to worry about since local PD wont bust me. Feds can still get their foot in the door, but why would they want to waste their resources on twenty plants?

As long as you dont make any money, I dont think anyone cares...

swampdank

Pull my finger
Veteran
this thread has gotten me wondering. at peak bloom i run 2 1k sunmasters(and a t5) inside a grow tent. the tent is in a garage type setting. there is a huge air gap between the tent wall and the wall leading outside. this is my problem. how to successfully conceal the grow from the street.(i have a huge oak tree over the roof so i think the would offer some protection from above)

goalie

use air cooled shades vented into the house's ducts so it's like having a mini furnace run. I don't think it will get too warm even in the summer unless you have 10+ lights running into the ducting.

cmstar34

"By venting down the sewer, the exhaust will be chilled and smell is distributed amongst you and your neighbors"

How strong would the smell be for the neighbors? Enough to raise alarms?