Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Talk About It! > Well Wishes > Jerry Jeff Walker Songwriter died at 78, throat cancer

Thread Title Search
Jerry Jeff Walker Songwriter died at 78, throat cancer Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-24-2020, 10:39 PM #1
aridbud
automeister

aridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivor
Jerry Jeff Walker Songwriter died at 78, throat cancer

Jerry Jeff Walker, Outlaw Country Architect and ‘Mr. Bojangles’ Songwriter, Dead at 78

“Up Against the Wall, Redneck Mother,” about a ne’er-do-well “kickin hippies’ asses and raising hell,” stands as the album’s cult-favorite number. More of a sketch by Ray Wylie Hubbard than a proper song when Walker and his band decided to record it for ¡Viva Terlingua!, it was finished at the 11th hour after a phone call to Hubbard from Walker’s bass player Bob Livingston.

Mr. Bojangles will long live road trips.

Seeds have the power to preserve species, to enhance cultural as well as genetic diversity, to counter economic monopoly and to check the advance of conformity on all its many fronts.
Michael Pollan
"Never, ever be afraid to make some noise and get in good trouble, necessary trouble." ~John Lewis

afterthought autos
We are passionate auto breeders growing organically in the USA since 2008 and offer 34 autoflowering strains, 15 photoperiods, 10 CBD hemp hybrids in our decades of breeding expertise. afterthought autos - we are unique quality cannabis autoflower breeders for medical conditions and recreational stimulus. Auto breeding 14.5 years, and running strong! We're on SEEDBAY again...trio of goodies - autos, photoperiods and CBD hemp strains!

https://www.icmag.com/ic/forumdisplay.php?f=65770
aridbud is offline Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-24-2020, 10:46 PM #2
OldSSSCGuy

OldSSSCGuy is a glorious beacon of lightOldSSSCGuy is a glorious beacon of lightOldSSSCGuy is a glorious beacon of lightOldSSSCGuy is a glorious beacon of lightOldSSSCGuy is a glorious beacon of lightOldSSSCGuy is a glorious beacon of lightOldSSSCGuy is a glorious beacon of lightOldSSSCGuy is a glorious beacon of lightOldSSSCGuy is a glorious beacon of lightOldSSSCGuy is a glorious beacon of lightOldSSSCGuy is a glorious beacon of light
I saw him live a couple of times at Armadillo World Headquarters in Austin back in the 1970's. Back when Jerry Jeff, Willie Nelson, Asleep at the Wheel, BW Stephenson and Willis Allen Ramsey were all Texas-only acts.

Sad passing. He was one colorful motherfucker. Kinda like a musical Hunter Thompson.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-24-2020, 11:27 PM #3
aridbud
automeister

aridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivoraridbud is a survivor
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSSSCGuy View Post
I saw him live a couple of times at Armadillo World Headquarters in Austin back in the 1970's. Back when Jerry Jeff, Willie Nelson, Asleep at the Wheel, BW Stephenson and Willis Allen Ramsey were all Texas-only acts.

Sad passing. He was one colorful motherfucker. Kinda like a musical Hunter Thompson.
That had to be fun!!

Seeds have the power to preserve species, to enhance cultural as well as genetic diversity, to counter economic monopoly and to check the advance of conformity on all its many fronts.
Michael Pollan
"Never, ever be afraid to make some noise and get in good trouble, necessary trouble." ~John Lewis

afterthought autos
We are passionate auto breeders growing organically in the USA since 2008 and offer 34 autoflowering strains, 15 photoperiods, 10 CBD hemp hybrids in our decades of breeding expertise. afterthought autos - we are unique quality cannabis autoflower breeders for medical conditions and recreational stimulus. Auto breeding 14.5 years, and running strong! We're on SEEDBAY again...trio of goodies - autos, photoperiods and CBD hemp strains!

aridbud is offline Quote

Old 10-24-2020, 11:33 PM #4
moose eater

moose eater has a brilliant futuremoose eater has a brilliant futuremoose eater has a brilliant futuremoose eater has a brilliant futuremoose eater has a brilliant futuremoose eater has a brilliant futuremoose eater has a brilliant futuremoose eater has a brilliant futuremoose eater has a brilliant futuremoose eater has a brilliant futuremoose eater has a brilliant future
Another niche legend in the rear-view.

He lived hard, played hard, sometimes disappointed fans at live concerts due to some of his past excesses.

But many a goat was milked to his lyrics and tunes, and pigs were slopped, chickens fed, eggs gathered, & gardens planted, as the barn's Pioneer Super Tuner cranked out some Jerry Jeff... and in particular, this gem...

His testament to country living and back to the land movement way back when.

Bless Jerry Jeff.

L.A. Freeway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtHOUC6UY9s

Hairy Ass Hillbillies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2NTaE_1zSI

Happy trails, Jerry Jeff.... Later on...
moose eater is offline Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-24-2020, 11:36 PM #5
aridbud
automeister

Good to see you Moose!! Hope everything is fine as can be.

Michael Pollan

afterthought autos

aridbud is offline Quote

Old 10-24-2020, 11:40 PM #6
moose eater

moose eater has a brilliant futuremoose eater has a brilliant futuremoose eater has a brilliant futuremoose eater has a brilliant futuremoose eater has a brilliant futuremoose eater has a brilliant futuremoose eater has a brilliant futuremoose eater has a brilliant futuremoose eater has a brilliant futuremoose eater has a brilliant futuremoose eater has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by aridbud View Post
Good to see you Moose!! Hope everything is fine as can be.
Thanks ab. Stroking 'til I can't, laughter to tears, and back again, with lots of time in between..

Take care.

It's now a Jerry Jeff afternoon.... Likely calls for some oji OG; not too sedate, and not too uppity, and will allow me to get stuff done, jamming to Jerry Jeff now.

Sorry to read, but thanks for the news.

Old 10-24-2020, 11:42 PM #7
moose eater

Desperados, one and all...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGxSuU9ymYw

Old 10-25-2020, 05:15 AM #8
moose eater

Well, I've already commandeered your JJW thread with the number of posts herein, but after reminiscing and bathing in musical nostalgia, it occurred to me that in my experience, there's a handful of tunes that are truly Jerry Jeff signature songs that defined his spirit.

One of them was LA Freeway; can't recall how many times I raised my thumb on the side of the road in the 1970s and early 1980s while singing that tune and similar.

But one that truly reminds me of good times at an off-grid 100-year old cabin in Norther Michigan on that farm I mentioned is this one;

'Hill Country Rain' Maybe you had to be there. LSD, reefer in the garden, folks making their own path in the woods, kerosene lighting, and this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlqpT_QJ0A4

I'll leave your thread alone for a while now...

Thanks for letting me/us know about his end.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-25-2020, 05:30 AM #9
Gry
One Nation Underground

Gry is a survivorGry is a survivorGry is a survivorGry is a survivorGry is a survivorGry is a survivorGry is a survivorGry is a survivorGry is a survivorGry is a survivorGry is a survivor
RIP

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-25-2020, 10:00 AM #10
Betterhaff

Betterhaff is a survivorBetterhaff is a survivorBetterhaff is a survivorBetterhaff is a survivorBetterhaff is a survivorBetterhaff is a survivorBetterhaff is a survivorBetterhaff is a survivorBetterhaff is a survivorBetterhaff is a survivorBetterhaff is a survivor
Too bad. RIP Jerry Jeff.

I bought ¡Viva Terlingua! in the mid 70’s and one day in college I played it and my roomie tells a story about one time he was playing it at home and walked into the kitchen to find his mom dancing with a broom to “Gettin’ By”.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6o26HgKCcT0
Betterhaff is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.