What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Landrace experiment in Alps

Rosomah

Interesting observation:
They are seeds from same mother, only difference is I fertilized one like i am used to, few handfulls of organic fert high in K at start of flowering. Oh boy what a mistake:

picture.php

Notice leaf salad and lack of trichomes

picture.php

No second fertilizing:
picture.php

picture.php

much better structure to look at

Rosomah

A friend of mine crossed Mulkharka with some Kush and this year i grew them out. They survived fog and rain very well, finished 2. 11. with 10-20% mold. This confirms himalayensis x afghanica lacks mold tolerance himalayensis has.
Wont continue experimenting with this hybrid seeds, in the fridge they go!

Oh and to that one fucker that ripped 80% of them enjoy the seeds :D

Rosomah

About the plants that died from drought: cannabis has 2 root zones: one in top 20cm of soil (nutrients) and second deeper for water. In my case they were in rendzina on vegetation covered scree meaning there was no deep layer with water, only rocks.

Reading Traditional Cannabis Cultivation in Darchula District, Nepal—Seed, Resin and Textiles by R. Clarke and yes, they fertilize once, before sowing. Same guidelines are made here for hemp. Too much nitrogen also makes stems weaker, that happened too if you look back at pictures. Also animal manure is slow release fertilizer, 50% in the first year, 25% second and 25% third (+/- for different types)

Rosomah

picture.php

Mulkharka 2019 smoke report:
untrimmed, air dried and cured at 10° for a year. (forgot about it lol)

Smell is light, mostly floral. Inflorescences are fluffy and lightly covered with trichomes. They crumble well when crushed with fingers in palm. Smoked without tobacco.
High is light and balanced, my educated guess thc:cbd 1:2 or even more on the cbd side. Perfect daytime, no fatigue after.

Next time i will make hash from it :D

ngakpa

Veteran
hi,

In the Himalaya, manure is used

That's not the same as using chemical NPK stuff, which is just a burst

Manure will provide long-term nutrition

Also, the usual forum caveat about over-generalizing

I'm sure plenty of himalayensis x afghanica crosses will work fine

a Chitrali landrace did fine in Hawaii

Just depends on the specific plants

Rosomah

First plant i ever grew was with home garden soil and compost, tried mineral NPK (15-15-15) once and didnt like it too much. There are a few instances i would use it but more on that next year :D

Amending soil is very easy for me. Never used peat, perlite, vermiculite, water crystals etc... If you know your soil you just have to add hummus, organic fert and mulch. Man i would love to work with compost, worm castings and aged cattle manure in the garden but sadly cant. Just remembered the stink of fermented nettles sitting in summer heat.

DownDeepInside did you make castings yourself? never tried them but what i read i can imagine that is basically hummus and nutrients rich soil?

ngakpa I imagine they save manure through winter? After manure breaks down hummus stays in soil for long time and acts similar to clay, bonding salts.
Haha, discourse on the internet is like throwing shit at the wall and see what sticks. Joke aside wish we would be better at communicating, but yeah internet is young and i hope with time we get better.

romanoweed

Rosomah

I hope ok to load two Picturs of Vietnamblack (southen x northern Vietnam).

20 Oktober

picture.php

5 November, starting to have a fight for sheer survival, no fresh resin:

picture.php

I live/grow near the Alps too. This Strain Stops Resinproduction, and starts fading around 1st November. I know this will never finish fully Bud. I still grow it. Heard some Thais can also be frostresistent. Actually North Thailands highest Mountain is 2500 Meters! Heighest Mountain in North Vietnam 3100 Meters.

And i know the trippiest Weed ever came from those Countries. Probably there are still some old Lines hiding in someones Seedstash, those Strains could proove perfect Compromiss between perfomability and trippyness.

Im huntng them, and may one day also try to make trippweed possible in Switzerland outdoors.

--

I heard also Reeferman managed to do longtime selection for shortflowering in his CambodianHaze. Added a fourth of Hybrid-Strain, but not pure Indica (Positronichaze) to the Cambodian and takes 11 now Weeks.

He selected over 2 Decades the pure Cambodian itselve, at the End added the Hybrid (Positronichaze).

And its very trippy Strain.

I learned, there is way more possible than i was under imression at first. But it needs a very good Line to make that perfect Compromise. Needs good old Genetics if you ask me.

I too loove distinguished Effects of Landrace itselve, and far Hybridisation not needed.

---------

One last: Hoabac - Reeferman, collected at aproximatly 1000 meters in southern Vietnam, nearly finished bud at 7 November:

picture.php

ngakpa

Veteran
ngakpa I imagine they save manure through winter? After manure breaks down hummus stays in soil for long time and acts similar to clay, bonding salts.

Manure afaik is best used after rotting for several years

afaik just keeping over winter it will burn your plants because too fresh

ime the best manure for cannabis is horse if you can find it - again, need to be old enough

horse manure makes soil lighter, which cannabs likes

cow makes it heavy

Afghans use goat/sheep... (cue Afghan jokes)

Rosomah

romanoweed interesting, when was the last time you fertilized them? Good luck with your projects! Dont know a lot about genetics but am young and learning. How is cannabis scene over there in Switzerland?

ngakpa interesting, know a few mountain pastures where horses graze hmmm :D
oh no, i think i got another side project in my head now but composting manure could be really simple if i prepare pile in summer and leave it for a year or two. Plus its easier to carry weight down hill than up.

On animals: i often meet roe, reed deer and occasional chamois. Roe deer are smaller and will peel off stem with horns and nibble on side branches. If you can somehow put obstacles around the main stem (thorny brambles or sticks blocking access are enough) you should be ok. Red deer is more difficult, especially huge males who just bulldoze their way through shrubery and eat whole plants. Nothing much can be done, accept loses and move on.

All above mentioned animals make specific paths, sometimes more species use the same ones. Roe and chamois will make "highways" but will be very short and as a rule you will have to dodge a lot of branches. Chamois will stick to rocky, stony slopes, rarely venturing in lower forests if there is no rocky terrain there.

Once every few years mice will blow up in population size and will nibble on stem and young shoots, plus after much of the vegetation dies off in mid november they will start eating seeds

Same with “white grubs”, larvae of mostly maybugs. They love hummus rich warm soils and eat roots. Lately i have been noticing more and more of them as soils are getting warmer. Boars will dig up turf in search for them since they are protein rich.

Sunshineinabag

romanoweed interesting, when was the last time you fertilized them? Good luck with your projects! Dont know a lot about genetics but am young and learning. How is cannabis scene over there in Switzerland?

ngakpa interesting, know a few mountain pastures where horses graze hmmm :D
oh no, i think i got another side project in my head now but composting manure could be really simple if i prepare pile in summer and leave it for a year or two. Plus its easier to carry weight down hill than up.

On animals: i often meet roe, reed deer and occasional chamois. Roe deer are smaller and will peel off stem with horns and nibble on side branches. If you can somehow put obstacles around the main stem (thorny brambles or sticks blocking access are enough) you should be ok. Red deer is more difficult, especially huge males who just bulldoze their way through shrubery and eat whole plants. Nothing much can be done, accept loses and move on.

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=84537&pictureid=2092629&thumb=1]View Image[/URL] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=84537&pictureid=2092630&thumb=1]View Image[/URL] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=84537&pictureid=2092631&thumb=1]View Image[/URL]

All above mentioned animals make specific paths, sometimes more species use the same ones. Roe and chamois will make "highways" but will be very short and as a rule you will have to dodge a lot of branches. Chamois will stick to rocky, stony slopes, rarely venturing in lower forests if there is no rocky terrain there.

Once every few years mice will blow up in population size and will nibble on stem and young shoots, plus after much of the vegetation dies off in mid november they will start eating seeds

Same with “white grubs”, larvae of mostly maybugs. They love hummus rich warm soils and eat roots. Lately i have been noticing more and more of them as soils are getting warmer. Boars will dig up turf in search for them since they are protein rich.

Irish spring bar soap cut into 1 inch squares spread around grow area keeps veggie eaters away from.mt experience. I know it sou ds wacky but it works

romanoweed

@ngaakpa

Do you knwow that for a Fact the Hoabac is Melfanks Cambodian?

@Rosomah

I brought in Compost the Year before i planted at one Spot. Or just used very rich soil. 1 I use to look at vegetation, it can show if PH is good. Alltho i forgot the most, i recall Needle-Trees are bad for PH. 2. I look at soilstructure, if its sandy (dosent crumble much) its bad, if its to clay like (doesc clump) its bad, needds to be middle. 3. I collect Soilsample, place it into clear glas Water, shake, and when the look of the dust is nerly clear that means no nutrients inside, if its rather dark that means nutrients.

Yeah i also tend to use longtermfert, just once . I found Seaweed (probably that from lakes works aswell) has nearly all Micronutrients. Plus some Chickenpoo, or buyable NPK fertilizer would bring in Macronutrients, that way i could grow in a Desert.. All cheap, all lightweight, all Nurtients there, all longterm. good for Guerillas like me.

@nakpa
Im not shure if you know exactly what the whole Vietnam Thai peoples grow or grew up there in History. Its a good Info, and might be often truh. I know there is much Hemp at the northern Viet, i know. But do we know everything that ever happend there , even in the 1900? I think we know basically nothing. If you really do, please tell me how good the viet was from vietnam in 1900s, and exactly wich region had the best. I never ever heard anyone know more than some hints and bits especially about SEAsian Cannais History. And i google atleast like an idiot for the old viet Thai, cause i smoked the old one once. And if the strains changed so extreem, so if today the hmong only live at hills, who knows what happend in 1900, when the realdeal tripweed was around (in my Oppinon).
I asked up and down the net how vietnamese/ thai was bread. I only found 2 Peoples on my idiotilike hunt that knew a tiny bit. You sound so convinced, makes me bit unshure. I apprecjhiate it as a general information, but to say it was a given Fact sounds too convinced .

I mean i have seen three 70s Vietlines that two of them are fat and shortflowering, one was reasonably shortflowering. And are good in Effect (one i dont know, but looks strong). That doesent debunk what you say, but does say what i could imagine: that there are prety good compromiss-Lines between trippyness and performability from this higher Altitudes in SEAsia

Last edited:

ngakpa

Veteran
@nakpa
Im not shure if you know exactly what the whole Vietnam Thai peoples grow or grew up there in History. Its a good Info, and might be often truh. I know there is much Hemp at the northern Viet, i know. But do we know everything that ever happend there , even in the 1900? I dont think we know basically nothing. If you really do, please tell me how good the viet was from vietnam in 1900s, and exactly wich region had the best. I never ever heard anyone know more than som hints and bits especially about SEAsian History. And i google atleast like an idiot for the old viet Thai, cause i smoked the old one once. And it the strains changed so extreem, so if today the hmong only live at hills, who knows what happend in 1900, when the realdeal tripweed was around (in my Oppinon).
I asked up and down the net how vietnamese/ thai was bread. I only found 2 Peoples an my idiotilike hunt that knew a tiny bit. You sound so convinced, makes me bit unshure. I apprecjhiate it as a general information, but to say it was a given Fact sounds too convinced .

I mean i have seen three 70s Vietlines that two of them are fat and shortflowering, one was reasonably shortflowering. And are good in Effect (one i dont know, but looks strong). That doesent debunk what you say, but does say what i could imagine: that there are prety good compromiss-Lines between trippyness and performability from this higher Altitudes in SEAsia

romanoweed

i didnt mean to claim, that you claimed. Its hard to understand the exact meaning of Words as nonnative english-speaker. Oh thats good info about Mel Frank stating his Cambodian is from Hoabac. So, im pretty convinced now too, that reefermans Hoabac is Melfranks Cambod. As he also had recieved one of his Thai Breedingstock from him. Well researched, it makes sense.

Reeferman sometimes might make some things up, but rather not the typical Claiming-his-Landraces-as-pure-if-they-arent. i tend to think.

Latest posts

Latest posts