What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Help me identify these bugs please!!!

yahooman

just noticed these today,have not seen any all year except today...they are all on the underside of the big fan leaves,the adults have wings and the minors are white/cream color,please help me identify and get rid of them

Attachments

• IMG_20200925_163713177.jpg
    IMG_20200925_163713177.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20200925_163711109.jpg
    IMG_20200925_163711109.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 25

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
Sorry man I cannot tell, that seems to be focused on the branch in the background and not the leaf the bugs are on. If it's a cell phone tap on the bugs and it should refocus on that leaf when you are taking another picture.

troutman

Seed Whore
They are aphids and suck the plants. :tiphat:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aphid

Simply mix a few teaspoons of liquid dish soap with one quart of water, then spray or wipe the solution onto the leaves, stems, and buds of the plant. (Don’t forget: These bugs like to hide beneath leaves, so take care to thoroughly coat the underside of the leaves, too.) Repeat the process every two or three days for the next few weeks, until you no longer notice aphids on the plant.
https://www.bobvila.com/articles/how-to-get-rid-of-aphids/

troutman

Seed Whore
Your eyes are better than mine :laughing: :D

The pic he posted is blurry. But I've seen enough aphids to know what they are. ;)

Then again my eyes aren't as red as yours. :biggrin:

Luckily, the soap and water trick isn't expensive and works if applied all over
the plant. Spraying other foliage nearby also helps keeps them away and
other bugs away too.

MelloYello

First year for the hemp aphids for me.
I'm noticing a lot of green lacewing eggs on the plants.
Might need to start with the lacewing eggs early next year

If your plant isn't big and if you don't want to spray anything on it you can use a paint brush to wipe them off.

...last year I had some aphids on my plants shortly before harvest, I had like 10 more days to go and didn't want to spray anything on the plant/buds so I used a soft paint brush to swipe them off the leaves every morning.

It was a bit tedious but it did the trick for sure.

Otherwise....some gentle water pressure should knock them off leaves, or a like already mentioned a mixture of soapy water with a bit of oil will kill them.

I used to totally despise and dread getting aphids....but after dealing with hemp/russet mites this year I find aphids to not really be a big deal at all lol. (relatively speaking)

yahooman

My plants are big

I'm going to try spraying with water,a bit of sunlight,oil and a bunch of blended jalapeno peppers,,see if that will work

Attachments

• IMG_20200922_083257870.jpg
    IMG_20200922_083257870.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 35
My plants are big

I'm going to try spraying with water,a bit of sunlight,oil and a bunch of blended jalapeno peppers,,see if that will work

Yea those are pretty chunky plants and using a paint brush to wipe them off would take all day lol.

Last year I only had 4 plants in 30 gal fabric pots so it only took me like 20 minutes or so to go over each plant entirely every morning and wipe em' off with a brush.

I concur with Troutman, nice looking plants for sure!

Hope that mixture does the trick for ya, it should tho. My only concern would be the oil & peppers potentially messing with trichomes and the aroma/flavor of the bud & smoke, since I'm assuming you're within a month of harvest like most folks right now? But depending on the dilution it may not be an issue. I've heard of folks using mixtures like that before just not sure about it during flowering.

Some stuff called "Dr. Zymes" is also great for wiping out soft bodied insects and is safe to use during flowering. I've been using it for mites and it has definitely done the trick, so I imagine it'd work very well for aphids.

....but I always try to do things cheaply & made at home first.

Let us kno how things go!

Mr. J

My plants are big

I wouldn't do that if I was you. I would spray them off as best as I could with a hose and I would stop there. Once you knock them off and they're on the ground they're pretty much done. That's what I did last year. And one more rinse at harvest.

If you spray ground peppers on your buds they're going to mold. Ever leave a pepper on the counter too long? Those things mold up real quick. If they don't mold then your buds will be spicy and taste like shit. It's too late once you have buds.

Oil is also going to fuck them up. Soap too, but probably less than oil and peppers.

Just knock them off, it's the best thing to do at this point. A hose with a decent nozzle and a firm but gentle spray and you're good.

yahooman

Its blended fresh jalapeno and only a tsp each of oil and sunlight per gallon
I'm not leaving this infestation to grow!!
Your nuts! Did u see the pics?

What the hell is a tsp of olive oil and sunlight going to do?just helps it stick to the plant better

I did a Google search and it is what's recommended to do this pre harvest infested buds

buzzmobile

Veteran
Luckily, the soap and water trick isn't expensive and works if applied all over
the plant. Spraying other foliage nearby also helps keeps them away and
other bugs away too.

Soap spray is a contact killer. It has to actually hit the bug to be effective. Once dry it offers no residual effect.

buzzmobile

Veteran
What the hell is a tsp of olive oil and sunlight going to do?just helps it stick to the plant better

Oil sprays can do damage under certain environmental conditions.
Horticultural Oils
Precautions

The following precautions are recommended whenever using an oil on a woody plant:

Avoid using oils on plants that tend to be oil-sensitive (Table 2). Avoid drift onto sensitive plants.
Do not apply when temperatures are excessively high (above 100 degrees F) or low (below freezing). High temperature limitations are primarily related to the drought-stress status of the plant. Plants under stress may be damaged. Those not stressed are much less likely to be damaged by an oil application. Dry conditions without plant stress generally reduce risk of injury by oil, because evaporation is more rapid.
Do not apply oils during freezing weather. This can cause the emulsion to break down and produce uneven coverage.
Do not apply oils if plant tissues are wet or rain is likely. These conditions inhibit oil evaporation. High humidity (above 90 percent) also may contribute to injury risk, while low humidity generally reduces it.
Do not spray when shoots are growing.
Avoid treating plants during the fall until after winter hardening has occurred. Fall treatments have sometimes caused increased susceptibility to winter injury.
Do not apply oils in combination with sulfur or sulfur-containing pesticides such as Captan or Karathane. They can react with oils to form phytotoxic compounds. Because elemental sulfur can persist for long periods, label directions on most oils prohibit their use within 30 days of a sulfur application.

I prefer soap spray over oil spray when treating for aphids.

Mr. J

Its blended fresh jalapeno and only a tsp each of oil and sunlight per gallon
I'm not leaving this infestation to grow!!
Your nuts! Did u see the pics?

I did a Google search and it is what's recommended to do this pre harvest infested buds

Ya. Blended fresh. That's not going to be good. Do you even really know that aphids are bothered by peppers? I don't see why they would be. Birds don't mind them at all. The internet is full of shit that's wrong and doesn't work.

I'm not telling you to leave the infestation. Im saying to knock them off. You'll need to cover everything top and bottom but you'll need to do the same to ruin your buds with oil and jalapenos. Happened to me last summer.

You kinda fucked yourself anyway by leaving those plants to get so out of control. Some pruning and training would have been good. I'd be chopping off a lot of that larfy crap from the bottom of those things and removing a ton of leaf from the inside before I tried dealing with the aphids.

Good luck anyway. Be sure to update us on how everything went.