What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

General Health: Supps, herbs and more

G

also it does something for the day after. i sometimes prefer the day after feeling to the day on feeling.....please do try and let others know it is a good one

Cuddles

are there any kind of side effects , during or after? Do you expereience a crsh when it wears off?

Sunshineinabag

I bought non-iodized salt about 8 months ago.

VERY INTERESTING living with an Iodine deficiency.

I looked up high-iodine foods and realized I eat very little of them.

So when I cut out the Iodine in the salt ...

So went to Walmart and bought Morton's salt, the version with the trademark, the little girl with the umbrella.

Drank 3 half cups of salty warm water over the course of a few hours.

Could feel the difference last night. Slept real good.

A lot of Cannabis users who are looking for a better high, can get a better high by making sure they're not depleted.

And eating mangos.....religiously eat them! Preferably Philippines mangos

moose eater

Re. Metformin versus alternative(s) for glucose levels and diabetes, as well as an anti-cancer item (3 specific types of cancer, including mine, all with NIH research behind them), I've been doing bitter melon smoothies. Yes, they can be made so as to not be thoroughly disgusting.

Cautions on-line include that if a person is already taking a medication or (??) for glucose/diabetes, they should monitor their blood sugar closely if using bitter melon as well.

Bitter melon has been shown to have a positive effect for colorectal cancer, adeno carcinoma (my little critter that took a liking to my prostate gland), and a third one.

Ironically, we use lemon juice to help cover the 'bitterness' in the bitter melon. With my usb rechargeable blender(16 oz. with sharper blades than the full-size blender), we add crushed ice, about 1/3 cup of chopped bitter melon, I add about 7 fat organic domestic blueberries and about 3 small chunks of good ripe, red watermelon, maybe about 2-4 TBSP of lemon juice./extract (per taste), 1/4-cup of apple sauce or equivalent amount of fresh apple, and hit the blend button until the chunks of bitter melon are micro, so as not to be tasted by themselves.. you can also add a bit of fresh cucumber, as well.

The father of a friend in the SW USA used to do shooters of pure bitter melon pureed, but that's pretty hard-core. It did help him to notably lower his A1C, however.

*My smoothie recipe is custom home-grown; others may not like it much, but if it fights cancer AND diabetes, and doesn't come with a $300 office visit bill, then.. cool.

Bitter melon basically comes in 2 varieties that I know of; one is covered in warts and spiny features, looking like it kissed a horny toad in a fairy tale, and turned into the toad, but long like a cucumber. The other is smoother, still with bumps. We use the skin (which is quite bitter), along with the flesh of the melon, but discard the seeds. Some folks choose to use the seeds.

You can typically find bitter melon in your local Asian food market, and we pay about $5 for 2-3 medium small melons. It should be kept wrapped up in food wrap in the fridge, and will go from firm to a bit soft in the course of about 5-7 days, so only buy as much as you'll use until your next trip to the market.

G

not side effects that i noticed, it is a nootropic so it works in somewhat unknown ways....
but the effect is clarity. sometimes clarity is not what i want, i enjoy the foggy rampage style days, and intense ups that come with some intense downs... so i just make do without but for those days i want a really good handle on emotions, etc, i can take. i used to get frustrated with people talking, especially when its a little bit aggravated conversation, and this helps with that so much.
but i feel bored with such normalcy on a regular basis.... :):artist::woohoo::trampoline:

G

bitter melon i have never eaten raw but it is great sliced and cooked with eggs, not stirred as stirring brings out the bitter, the egg protein absorbs some of the bitter. also the shoots, or mature leaves, but immature leaves and tips of the growing shoot is the best stir fried with an egg. thank you for reminding me i have to plant. would be an easy plant to grow in a greenhouse year round in a cold place....

moose eater

bitter melon i have never eaten raw but it is great sliced and cooked with eggs, not stirred as stirring brings out the bitter, the egg protein absorbs some of the bitter. also the shoots, or mature leaves, but immature leaves and tips of the growing shoot is the best stir fried with an egg. thank you for reminding me i have to plant. would be an easy plant to grow in a greenhouse year round in a cold place....

A Philippine woman I know cooks bitter melon after slicing it, with black bean sauce and mung beans. She also makes it cooked with eggs, as you do.

When I'm using something for medicinal purposes, I try to ingest as much of the whole thing as possible, uncooked, as heat tends to undo some benefits for some things, such as with lycopene.

Heat changes so many things chemically, or in terms of content, with no other chemical additions needed to achieve the change. I'll stop there, lest I incriminate myself further. Think 'propylhexedrine'... Days gone by, from long, long ago. ;^>).

Amazing how much stuff I've encountered that has backing via NIH research; from the lycopene, to the sulforaphane/broccoli sprouts, to the bitter melon, and more.

I've used bitter melon in some of my vegan stir-fry, and the taste is certainly still there, in my opinion.

G

I agree totally on heat. raw food is amazing. fermented, raw etc is the food that is medicine....
i have heard of a lot of older people here swearing by bitter melon in particular. a few different varieties exist.

Cuddles

I´d love to give this a go but I very much doubt that I´ll be able to find bitter melon round here. Sugar melon sure but not bitter.

St. Phatty

The older you get, the more you need vitamins to have any chance of using the 87 billion brain cells (neurons) that humans have.

By vitamins, I don't mean pills - though pills can deliver the goods.

dlxtpnuo

When the potato is soggy in the sack, they are no very good chips! - Eric Cantona.

Eric_cuNt.jpg

moose eater

I´d love to give this a go but I very much doubt that I´ll be able to find bitter melon round here. Sugar melon sure but not bitter.

Try any Asian market in your area that sells fresh produce. You might be surprised. I'm in Interior Alaska, and the shop I go to gets in fresh bitter melon every week on Tuesdays. best to buy it when it's most firm, so Tuesday is typically our bitter melon day if we're low or out.

Cuddles

Try any Asian market in your area that sells fresh produce. You might be surprised. I'm in Interior Alaska, and the shop I go to gets in fresh bitter melon every week on Tuesdays. best to buy it when it's most firm, so Tuesday is typically our bitter melon day if we're low or out.
I would go but there aren´t any nearby :(

moose eater

My favorite, bubbly, sweet-as-can-be, most amazing retailer that I know, the Philippine woman who owns and runs the Asian market we frequent most office, told my wife to look something up this afternoon when we went there. (She's been talking with my wife about my cancer, etc.)

I don't know if this has been discussed or listed here yet, but.. 'Moringa'. aka, 'Tree of Life', aka, 'Drumstick Tree'

From the Interwebs (*Yes, I took the easy, lazy route & copied and pasted some of the findings from here down, but noted that by placing them in quotes):

"Moringa contains many healthful compounds such as:
It is also extremely low in fats and contains no harmful cholesterol."

-and-

"
1. Protecting and nourishing skin and hair

Moringa seed oil is beneficial for protecting hair against free radicals and keeps it clean and healthy. Moringa also contains protein, which means it is helpful in protecting skin cells from damage. It also contains hydrating and detoxifying elements, which also boost the skin and hair.

It can be successful in curing skin infections and sores.

2. Treating edema

Edema is a painful condition where fluid builds up in specific tissues in the body. The anti-inflammatory properties of moringa may be effective in preventing edema from developing.

3. Protecting the liver

Moringa appears to protect the liver against damage caused by anti-tubercular drugs and can quicken its repair process.

4. Preventing and treating cancer

Moringa extracts contain properties that might help prevent cancer developing. It also contains niazimicin, which is a compound that suppresses the development of cancer cells.

5. Treating stomach complaints

Moringa extracts might help treat some stomach disorders, such as constipation, gastritis, and ulcerative colitis. The antibiotic and antibacterial properties of moringa may help inhibit the growth of various pathogens, and its high vitamin B content helps with digestion.

6. Fighting against bacterial diseases

Due to its antibacterial, antifungal, and antimicrobial properties, moringa extracts might combat infections caused by Salmonella, Rhizopus, and E. coli.

7. Making bones healthier

Moringa also contains calcium and phosphorous, which help keep bones healthy and strong. Along with its anti-inflammatory properties moringa extract might help to treat conditions such as arthritis and may also heal damaged bones.

8. Treating mood disorders

Moringa is thought to be helpful in treating depression, anxiety, and fatigue.

9. Protecting the cardiovascular system

The powerful antioxidants found in Moringa extract might help prevent cardiac damage and has also been shown to maintain a healthy heart.

10. Helping wounds to heal

Extract of moringa has been shown to help wounds close as well as reduce the appearance of scars.

11. Treating diabetes

Moringa helps to reduce the amount of glucose in the blood, as well as sugar and protein in the urine. This improved the hemoglobin levels and overall protein content in those tested.

12. Treating asthma

Moringa may help reduce the severity of some asthma attacks and protect against bronchial constrictions. It has also been shown to assist with better lung function and breathing overall.

13. Protecting against kidney disorders

People may be less likely to develop stones in the kidneys, bladder or uterus if they ingest moringa extract. Moringa contains high levels of antioxidants that might aid toxicity levels in the kidneys.

14. Reducing high blood pressure

Moringa contains isothiocyanate and niaziminin, compounds that help to stop arteries from thickening, which can cause blood pressure to rise.

15. Improving eye health

Moringa contains eyesight-improving properties thanks to its high antioxidant levels. Moringa may stop the dilation of retinal vessels, prevent the thickening of capillary membranes, and inhibit retinal dysfunction.

16. Treating anemia and sickle cell disease

Also- **"Moringa might help a person’s body absorb more iron, therefore increasing their red blood cell count. It is thought the plant extract is very helpful in treating and preventing anemia and sickle cell disease."

-and-

"Although Moringa may have very few reported side effects, a healthcare professional should be consulted before it is taken.
Anyone considering using moringa is advised to discuss it with a doctor first."

(*It, like many natural plant products, also comes in a supplement form, but as I stated re. bitter melon, etc., when taking such products, I prefer them fresh, in whole form.)

"Moringa may possess anti-fertility qualities and is therefore not recommended for pregnant women.

There have been very few side effects reported.

People should always read the label on the extract and follow dosage instructions."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sounds like potentially magical stuff to me. So, when the road looks a bot desperate, I tend to expand my horizon where options are concerned. So, moringa, here we come....

Cuddles

I thought I had posted this already but upon checking this thread, I realized I had skipped it for some reason.

Serrapeptase

Serrapeptase is a proteolytic enzyme which works in the body to help clear dead tissue and target inflammation and pain. It is commonly used by people to help with painful inflammatory conditions such as arthritis and other musculoskeletal issues, as well as clearing scar tissue, supporting cardiovascular health, wound healing and recovery from trauma. It is also an ideal choice to help with natural healing, sinus congestion, fluid balance, joint mobility, post-surgical recovery, as well as assistance in waste and toxin removal. It is safe for everyday use, both for general anti-ageing support or as part of a recovery plan.

Serrapeptase is clinically proven and supported by studies. Good Health Naturally offers a range of strengths of this incredible enzyme in both capsule and tablet forms, all of which are suitable for vegans and vegetarians.

https://goodhealthnaturally.com/218-serrapeptase

It´s really great stuff ! I´ve been using it for years now, whenever I needed it it and it it really works :)