What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Help with too many tops for Half whiskey barrel grow

thedudefresco

The right one is a monster. :good:

Heheh.

Appreciate the comments, all!

Still just chugging along. Here are some pics. I have contemplated support a bit, maybe tying some branches to the cage if need be. Haven’t had the motivation to do so yet.

This is my baby plant this year though. I’m stoked on her and am open to any and all suggestions to make her best she can be!

Attachments

• 68CF1DA4-21F3-441A-BD28-6074BE9FB5A0.jpg
    68CF1DA4-21F3-441A-BD28-6074BE9FB5A0.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 47
  • 4DC26F56-3B7B-4070-A616-538320ECA2D5.jpg
    4DC26F56-3B7B-4070-A616-538320ECA2D5.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 40

thedudefresco

I’m an organic “farmer, mon.”
...but with this plant I’ve decided to start using synthetics as a supplement for flower.

Past month or so she’s sucked down the majority of a bottle of “age old bloom” which is a 5-10-5 (I believe). I used up the rest of the bottle on some veggies.

No burn as you can see. I’m now using some raw bloom which is a powdered 3-12-12.

She doesn’t need any supp I don’t think but this entire grow has been an experiment for me and I’m trying to push her.

Also, due to my various fears, as this is my first container grow, I’m using enzymes (hygrozyme) and a bacillus supp (hydroguard). For any one following this grow, I don’t normally use either of these. I am using them because the pot size is small, and I need to frequently water. In the past I’ve had various non-cannabis plants get into trouble when they are root bound etc.

YukonKronic

Heheh.

Appreciate the comments, all!

Still just chugging along. Here are some pics. I have contemplated support a bit, maybe tying some branches to the cage if need be. Haven’t had the motivation to do so yet.

This is my baby plant this year though. I’m stoked on her and am open to any and all suggestions to make her best she can be!

Just frickin.... badass! I love that plant. I would cut the extra nutes aside from potassium as you near last few weeks of heavy production... which looks a ways off yet.

thedudefresco

Thanks dude!!!

I'm using molassas but I ran out of the nutes just a few days ago.

I think I have a while more for flowering. A buddy of mine gave me a freebie pack of a vegan bloom booster lol. I think its 0.1-10-20. I might give it a shot.

Here are some progress pic!

attachment.php

thedudefresco

The nugs are a bit shrimpy. ( I will post a close up soon).

I expected this because last year I grew various landraces and one, a sativa called Kumaoni, was fairly loose as well.

I want to bulk them up though. Looking a photos of zam, the nugs look characteristically a bit fugly (compared to commercial strains), and while I understand this doesn't change potency, who doesn't love denser nugs?

I don't know if i mentioned this but I have pollinated a few low branches with a commercial strain called Tuna God, which produces standard skunky hard nuggets. I have a good cluster of seeds growing.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Super-cool!

When you move the plant, do you also rotate it so the sun orientation changes, or not move it at all?

One thing about having the keg on wheels is you can make another wheeled platform (imagine a mechanic's creeper), which will accept the upright poles, and roll the keg up onto it. Still have portability, and if the keg was secured to the platform (lock the castors), a tressis support of 4 upright poles could be made that stayed with the plant. Support for a late flowering raintarp.

A guy posted somewhere here about his grow in Canada. 4 huge plants, 3 layer netting. That is where I saw that idea.

Last edited:

hellfire

Might wanna at least toss a trellis on for some suppprt. You could put some big stakes in there and make a box with 4 of them as posts. Or if you have the means buckets with concrete abd sone heavy stakes to support the trellis. If your feeding finishes her out right you'll have some heavy branches to support I'd imagine :biggrin:

thedudefresco

Super-cool!

When you move the plant, do you also rotate it so the sun orientation changes, or not move it at all?

One thing about having the keg on wheels is you can make another wheeled platform (imagine a mechanic's creeper), which will accept the upright poles, and roll the keg up onto it. Still have portability, and if the keg was secured to the platform (lock the castors), a tressis support of 4 upright poles could be made that stayed with the plant. Support for a late flowering raintarp.

A guy posted somewhere here about his grow in Canada. 4 huge plants, 3 layer netting. That is where I saw that idea.

Hey! Thanks for the comment.

I do try to rotate the plant so that it gets more even sun. Ive been pretty good about it but its more of a "when i remember thing" than an exact thing.

Definitely helped me achieve the flat shape, imo.

That mechanic creeper idea is a good one!!! Would also help me navigate areas of the deck

thedudefresco

Might wanna at least toss a trellis on for some suppprt. You could put some big stakes in there and make a box with 4 of them as posts. Or if you have the means buckets with concrete abd sone heavy stakes to support the trellis. If your feeding finishes her out right you'll have some heavy branches to support I'd imagine :biggrin:

I hear you, Hellfire. Next bit of freetime I get I am going to get to work on some support. Definitely better safe than sorry!

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
I hear you, Hellfire. Next bit of freetime I get I am going to get to work on some support. Definitely better safe than sorry!

That "creeper" platform idea is the support for the trellis, and the whole thing is still movable. Make it a square frame with wheels and a floor strong enough to roll your barrel up onto. Have holes in the 4 corners where you can put the vertical poles after the plant is on the platform. Build the trellis around the plant, and you can have more than one layer of net. I would make a square PVC top that can be slipped on without glue, on to hold the four poles in place, and make it more rigid. All can be disassembled when you are ready to chop. Still moveable, cause the platform is on wheels too.

thedudefresco

That "creeper" platform idea is the support for the trellis, and the whole thing is still movable. Make it a square frame with wheels and a floor strong enough to roll your barrel up onto. Have holes in the 4 corners where you can put the vertical poles after the plant is on the platform. Build the trellis around the plant, and you can have more than one layer of net. I would make a square PVC top that can be slipped on without glue, on to hold the four poles in place, and make it more rigid. All can be disassembled when you are ready to chop. Still moveable, cause the platform is on wheels too.

This sounds like a project for next year that would allow me to get a few more hours of sunlight per day (by rolling the barrel) which would be interesting.

For this grow, my original intent with the tomato cage in the center was to use that for support. I think that by tying branches to the tomato cage in the center on one side, and on the other, the cage will have about the same pull from all sides, and this might be enough to keep everything in place.

I'll try this first before taking on any more DIY. I need to find a "real job" lmao!!!!

___

I would guestimate this plant is around week 5-6 of flower but things have been strange in my locality lately. Other people's plants have initiated flower early this year and my other plants are already hang drying.

This is in opposition to last year where I had most of my plants finish in late october/early nov and the sativas in DECEMBER lol. Anyone reading should know I tend to harvest on the later end rather than the early end though.

If you don't mind, I have a question for you, Flylowgethigh:

As a refresher, this lady has been in an organic soil mix but I began feeding her 5-10-5 Age Old Bloom about a week pre-flower and then a 3-12-12 Raw Bloom around week 3 or 4 of flower. Ran out of the nutes a week ago.

I have this now, a .1-10-25 :
71e2aJpc0mL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
A guy in the nute forum cautioned perhaps not using it. I'm impulsive though and used it today.

In your opinion, based on where my plant is at, do you think it would hurt to use this? Or should I "cruise" with some molasses instead?

Value your opinion! Thanks bruv

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
If you value your plants, NEVER ask me anything about how to grow them. Justa stoner who likes your set-up, and tried to figure out how to expand on it. I have a brown thumb, and it's broke.

thedudefresco

Ahahah love the honesty!

To be a bit honest myself, I’m probably overthinking it. Sometimes I think smoking the plant has hijacked my brain tho and now I have an irrational desire to baby the plant lolll

thedudefresco

Update and an unexpected sprouting of penis mushrooms

Update and an unexpected sprouting of penis mushrooms

Hey all,

She's full fledged into flowering now, healthy ( I think ) aside from some yellowing lower leaves and on a few branches.

I'm aware of senescence etc and all my grows yellow end stage; however, this zamaldelica has had some of the darkest natural leaves on a cannabis plant that I have ever seen. Talkin dark green in veg.

Past few days, Ive noticed all leaves are a more matte hue, less vibrancy. The leaves are a muted green now which is probably normal, but yeah this is my baby so I'm running through the possibilities in my mind.

I gave her some 4-3-4 yesterday and today so we will see if that does anything. I don't think its magnesium or calcium deficiency because I'm in soil and think my watering habits are pretty good. That being said, a deficiency is still on my radar.

If she doesn't green up, I'll assume its senescence and cut back the N. The soil SHOULD be fairly rich in food.

Here's a pic of the yellowing leaves:
attachment.php

Anyways the most interesting thing about this post is the penis mushrooms.

The what, you say?

Thats right: Penis Mushrooms. These oddly phallic shaped "fruiting bodies" have been poppin up in my soil. Check it out lol.

attachment.php

Attachments

• bellend shrooms - Copy.jpg
    bellend shrooms - Copy.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 41
  • yellowing.jpg - Copy - Copy.jpg
    yellowing.jpg - Copy - Copy.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 33

thedudefresco

it’s preference (and circumstance)
but i'd let her go a little longer than 10 more days

Thx for the comment. I hear you sir. How much longer would you let her go?

Oddly enough, I almost always harvest on the later side of things. Last year I harvested my sativas in December. Some BHO made with it was rather clear, too.

Problem is, I had two tragedies this year. I killed my largest plant and unfortunately, my densest indica got botrytis pretty bad after a heat wave broke and humidity skyrocketed. If I had harvested her a week or so earlier, she would have been fine.

I know that this zam won't be as prone to mold as the denser strains, but I'm not liking waking up to her being soaked in morning dew for the past few days.

I would rather harvest her on the earlier end of things if it means the buds will look the prettiest, too. Vain, but I have few show off nugs this year due to fucking botrytis only leaving the B grades unscathed.

We will see when the time comes. I might wait a bit longer, i just dunno.

eugenegreen

herbalist
Veteran
oh i'd personally take her past election day...

she probably won’t mold up given the sativa structure... but it’s always a good idea to shake off the morning dew this late into flower