What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Nanda Devi

acespicoli

Scooped this up for the reported 1.56 mg/ML Geraniol as well as it representing the majority of terpene concentration. Roses are calming, so rose scented cannabis should be pretty chill yeah? Much love

according to the research its a terpene

that reduces stress cortisol* in the blood,

in small doses just sniffing the jar should have a calming effect.

I always like to smoke small pieces of bud in a freshly cleaned pipe

just barely touching the edge of the sample with a flame

and letting it slowly burn across for a true flavor of the strain experience

I guess now the latest tech is a vape and im so old I have yet to try that.

Also we used to choose plants as keepers by stem rubs and terpenes

It was a important part of the selection process not so much ultra high thc

a small break seems to adjust your tolerance and the terpenes is where its at imo I wanna smoke that tastes good

sitting on a few packs of this myself so
im looking forward to plant guys smoke reports

only good vibes :huggy:

Last edited:

aliceklar

Also we used to choose plants as keepers by stem rubs and terpenes

It was a important part of the selection process not so much ultra high thc

a small break seems to adjust your tolerance and the terpenes is where its at imo I wanna smoke that tastes good

My thinking is developing on similar lines, ace. Where I've had to choose between males lately, I've based my selection mostly on the smells they give from a stem rub, although where I've separately pollinated with multiple males and kept each pollination labelled and distinct, I've also kept some male leaves to do a smoke test. I generally try to use as many males as possible for each pollination, to preserve diversity, just culling the ones that are either unhealthy, have a form I dislike, or have a smell that I dislike.

I reckon there has been so much work done on boosting brute THC amounts/frostiness/bud production - and those qualities can be easily worked in from existing strains - but there must be a wealth of interesting and unique terpene combinations, as well as nuances of high, in these old landraces, that are waiting to be discovered.

aliceklar

Mystical..

Mystical..

Nanda devi is certainly a special strain. Not in terms of strength but in terms of quality. The only strain that I would venture to describe as genuinely mystical.

That is an intriguing description - I'd also love to hear more detail!

I'm also wondering, have you also grown any of the other Himalayan landraces? How do they compare? I have Nanda Devi seed I havent popped yet, and also have seeds of Johaar, Kumaoni, Rasoli, and Highland Thai. I've grown the Johaar (the two female plants I grew from TRSC seed gave a gentle but positive and uplifting high with no noticeable comedown) and Highland thai (one female, which Ive kept clones of, had an inspiring crystal clear high, again with not much of a comedown, and again not too intense). I'd be really interested to hear how Johaar in particular compares to Nanda Devi in the quality of their highs... They are distinct landraces, but fairly close geographically.

ngakpa

Veteran
I'd be really interested to hear how Johaar in particular compares to Nanda Devi in the quality of their highs... They are distinct landraces, but fairly close geographically.

the basic difference should already be clear from the strain descriptions, I hope

Nanda Devi makes charas that is generally stronger and more stimulating

The high has more depth than you find in superficially "better" (i.e. oily) charas from Parvati Valley, which includes Malana

Consisently I also get feedback from people saying it has a more mystical or spiritual effect too

There's a deep sacramental tradition associated with Kumaon, e.g. the Naths, so that's what you'd expect

That is an intriguing description - I'd also love to hear more detail!

I'm also wondering, have you also grown any of the other Himalayan landraces? How do they compare? I have Nanda Devi seed I havent popped yet, and also have seeds of Johaar, Kumaoni, Rasoli, and Highland Thai. I've grown the Johaar (the two female plants I grew from TRSC seed gave a gentle but positive and uplifting high with no noticeable comedown) and Highland thai (one female, which Ive kept clones of, had an inspiring crystal clear high, again with not much of a comedown, and again not too intense). I'd be really interested to hear how Johaar in particular compares to Nanda Devi in the quality of their highs... They are distinct landraces, but fairly close geographically.

Hello there,

Well I certainly cannot claim to be an expert but all Himalayan strains provide the same signature intoxication : a high flying /soaring up/energetic kind of high. They're all hash strains so potency is all over the place from no hit high CBD to killer high THC etc as you already know.

Then on top of this signature high, each strain deploys its own touch. I have experience with only 3 Himalayan strains from RSC:

1. The old Nepalese (not the present one; don't know if they're related). That strain was very very trippy/psychedelic. We're talking space/time distorsions, closed eyed visions. It seemed of great potency for a hash strain. I loved it a great deal but sadly didn't reproduce it. I dry sieved the crop and was more than happy with the result.
  2. A strain called Garhwal Shiva (GS), which I also dry sieved and well it did put me into orbit lol. Quality stuff.
  3. And then ND which I have been reproducing for many years now and to this day. It has a special benevolent touch that I can only describe as mystical. Also ND is a complete package : not only is it a beautiful deep mental trip devoid of dark corners but it also provide you with a warm pleasurable radiating voluptiousness in the body that feels very satisfying and intensely enjoyable. My words can't do this plant justice though. Also ND seems to be the most untamed and wild of the three.
  4. I am not experienced with tropical strains.
At the risk of sounding like a broken record, they all were pleasant quality highs but the ND has something extra special that makes it shine. Unlike the other two, I use it as buds which is clearly not the best way to use it. I encountered all kinds of phenos potency wise, and the smell (when you consume it that is) isn't the most pleasant and refined of all : it smells like grassy spices or citric hay But I don't care because its high is special and unique. It made my heart sing.

ngakpa

Veteran
all Himalayan strains provide the same signature intoxication : a high flying /soaring up/energetic kind of high.

no, they don't

prime example being the plants in Parvati these days

hybrids have brought flat dreary effects to the valley, and it's getting more common

nothing like a real heady euphoric Himalayan high

one of the last times I was there, an old boomer had a brick of Thai ganja with him

the contrast between the up euphoria of the ganja and the flat fuzzed out effect of some skunky Parvati resin I found could not be more blatant

ngakpa

Veteran
I was talking about the classic Himalayan strains

sure

real ones

but the context is that various kids (mostly Indian kids on Instagram) are pretending that Parvati landraces are authentic

and some people are getting taken in, partly because of the various shit-weasels associated with these kids, who promote them on forums etc.

see this thread
Extinction by Hybridization

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=374724

meizzwang

I was talking about the classic Himalayan strains you partially sell (since I gather you're the owner of the TRSC company).

RSC Parvati. One of them physically appeared to look as though it had modern hybrid contamination:
48943540991_31f486a6a0_c.jpg

48943732342_28e75a3cfc_c.jpg

While I can't confirm the other two are 100% pure, if they were contaminated, I certainly couldn't tell. Potency was moderate to low, resin was relatively low, but the high was outstanding! Zero skunky smell, very unique guava/banana aromas. The two pure looking females definitely had a feral trait as well: seeds fell out of the buds when they ripened! Here's one of them:
48942992788_6d210243f3_c.jpg

Here's the other:
48942992428_aa114c75d3_c.jpg

48920869882_5e22550704_c.jpg

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
RSC Parvati. One of them physically appeared to look as though it had modern hybrid contamination:
View Image

View Image

While I can't confirm the other two are 100% pure, if they were contaminated, I certainly couldn't tell. Potency was moderate to low, resin was relatively low, but the high was outstanding! Zero skunky smell, very unique guava/banana aromas. The two pure looking females definitely had a feral trait as well: seeds fell out of the buds when they ripened! Here's one of them:
View Image

Here's the other:
View Image

View Image

No sweet carrot aromas in any of them?

meizzwang

No sweet carrot aromas in any of them?

Sorry, totally missed this question! No, zero carrot in the plants I grew out. Aroma-wise, they smell like feijoa guavas, which are commonly known as pineapple guavas, but I don't think they taste like pineapples. Anyways, others have said Parvati smells like mangoes, and I can see that interpretation as well. With one female plant from the first generation directly from the source, there was a background banana aroma, but when I grew out seeds from that exact mother plant, I found one plant with a much stronger banana aroma!

In case you haven't already seen this, here's a full, in depth grow and smoke report for Parvati: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=366594

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
Sorry, totally missed this question! No, zero carrot in the plants I grew out. Aroma-wise, they smell like feijoa guavas, which are commonly known as pineapple guavas, but I don't think they taste like pineapples. Anyways, others have said Parvati smells like mangoes, and I can see that interpretation as well. With one female plant from the first generation directly from the source, there was a background banana aroma, but when I grew out seeds from that exact mother plant, I found one plant with a much stronger banana aroma!

In case you haven't already seen this, here's a full, in depth grow and smoke report for Parvati: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=366594

At the time i had three phenotypes sweet carrot, orange and earthy hash aroma.Indian varieties are the ones with the sweet carrot aroma like Colombians with the incense aroma, which are not found in varieties from Thailand, Afghanistan etc.

Plantguy

At the time i had three phenotypes sweet carrot, orange and earthy hash aroma.Indian varieties are the ones with the sweet carrot aroma like Colombians with the incense aroma, which are not found in varieties from Thailand, Afghanistan etc.

I had 7 plants that were good enough to be seed keepers with 4 more runt-like. 16 males.
Aroma seems to be about like your description!
All fluffy flowers but the little bit I've tried shows me it won't take much to get a nice effect.

meizzwang

Wasn't really sure what to do with these. What I'm learning about Nepalese sativas is that in some cases, the bud themselves give you weak to moderate effects. Some taste decent, while others are very grassy and not worth smoking. But that same exact plant, when extracted and converted into rosin, can be overly powerful if you consume too much at once!

With Nanda Devi, I literally fear rosin because if you smoke too much in one rip, it can get you excessively high, probably due to the "no ceiling" effect.

This feral Nanda Devi is very resinous, so I'll try some of the buds and see how that goes. If it doesn't taste great or have much of an effect, then it'll all be turned into hash, which will then be converted to rosin. For that reason, minimal manicuring was done on these buds.

Nanda Devi, Harvested 11/27/20 when grown outdoors in the pacific Northwest. This was from seeds that were produced by crossing 2 different RSC nanda devi accessions:
50658227467_824d536b5f_c.jpg

50658224432_4f185f1927_c.jpg

50658134141_e16861720c_c.jpg

50658236572_49e0fd163d_c.jpg

acespicoli

Wasn't really sure what to do with these. What I'm learning about Nepalese sativas is that in some cases, the bud themselves give you weak to moderate effects. Some taste decent, while others are very grassy and not worth smoking. But that same exact plant, when extracted and converted into rosin, can be overly powerful if you consume too much at once!

With Nanda Devi, I literally fear rosin because if you smoke too much in one rip, it can get you excessively high, probably due to the "no ceiling" effect.

This feral Nanda Devi is very resinous, so I'll try some of the buds and see how that goes. If it doesn't taste great or have much of an effect, then it'll all be turned into hash, which will then be converted to rosin. For that reason, minimal manicuring was done on these buds.

Nanda Devi, Harvested 11/27/20 when grown outdoors in the pacific Northwest. This was from seeds that were produced by crossing 2 different RSC nanda devi accessions:
View Image

View Image

View Image

View Image

nice photography would love to see some trich close ups of them
these are beautiful in their own unique way
I wouldnt discount good grass in the race for THCV
eat some hash, its great start with a little and wait about 90 minutes make sure you dont have any plans
so this is a f1 or f2ish

:canabis:makes me wonder what it would take to bring out this strains best
well done

Last edited:

Plantguy

Meizzwang, thanks for the info!
What I've tried so far has had an effect but easily controlled by dosage. The whispy buds help with that. Definitely stimulating buds, mild flavors.

elanius

Veteran
wow, that is looking wild, based on the looks, I would be surprised if the high sucks. I bought some Nanda Devi the other day as well, who knows how long will these strains remain pure...Thanks for sharing and looking forward for smoke report

View Image

View Image

View Image

View Image