What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Permissions on Phone

I

Insomniac420

Sup Icmag I was on my partners phone & if you take a pic and you go into gallery it say allow to record sound or allow to view pics. If I don't you can't access gallery why? I don't own a phone myself but why do they need to access your phone dodgy asf. Any ideas. And if I turn of permission you can't see pics...

I think it's Google asking why they want to record
Sound or view pics

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
420giveaway
To do anything on a smartphone the app you are using the needs permission from other apps.

Like, I downloaded a new podcast player. Before it worked it needed permission to play audio.

Or to use a map, the map app wants permission to use your GPS location.

Or download Facebook and it wants permission to access your files and camera. It needs that permission for you to post a picture. Either one on your device or to take a pic with the camera.

Before downloading and using an app, always check the list of permissions the app wants access to.
If it's something like a calculator wanting access to your contact list,. It's a bullshit app.. they are trying to steal personal data.

A social media app may want alot of different permissions. You can select which permissions to allow, but this may effect how the app works