What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Parvati grow and smoke report

This is my type of pot can't wait to see more. Himalayan, Nepalese are just so interesting and pleasant as far as aromas go.

meizzwang

Got 2 of the 3 parvati plants curing right now. Just for comparison, when I had several different malana buds fully cured, when you open the bag, it smells mostly grassy, but if you broke the crystals, the buds would smell really good. In contrast, Parvati, while curing, smells like fruity chronic, definitely not grassy! As an aside, a lot of these weaker landraces smell grassy or like hay when fully cured.

Anyways, the largeer bract pheno of Parvati has higher resin content as expected: when doing rosin squeezes, I got a bigger yield, but it's still much lower than most modern day hybrids. Better yield than Malana, and about on par with Kumaoni, which is the highest resin yielder of the himalayan strains that I've grown.

After doing a lot of smell tests, the larger bract Parvati individual smells exactly like like feijoa guavas to me, commonly known as pineapple guavas (although I don't think those guavas taste or smell like pineapple). Here's the larger bract pheno of Parvati:
49015147303_07cd522c5f_c.jpg

49015165353_c688d10ce6_c.jpg

Interestingly, the red stemmed pheno, at least aroma-wise, is the winner! This is the first time that I was able to detect a distinctive, yet subtle BANANA aroma! Almost unbelievable, and as an aside, I tried banana OG from a dispensary that had absolutely zero banana aroma to it. Afterwards, I thought the claim that some weed smells like bananas is bogus until now! When squeezing the buds for rosin, the banana smell is much louder and more obvious than breaking up crystals and doing a smell test. It also has the feijoa guava aroma to it, but much stronger and sweeter than the large bract pheno. Here's what I guess I'll call the banana pheno:
49015669461_97c03be36a_c.jpg

49015976202_f09d97b29b_c.jpg

More updates to come in the near future, so stay tuned.....

meizzwang

Sorry for the long wait guys, here's the smoke report, which is way long overdue! I haven't tried this variety until yesterday! I don't consume cannabis very often and still have a lot of strains to try out.

Strain: Parvati (RSC)

Material Consumed: Rosin derived from water hash (Vaped), cured for almost a full year under ideal conditions. Organically grown outdoors.

Aroma(buds): Green mangoes, subtle banana background, feijoa guavas...

Potency: Moderate, but this based on rosin(concentrate). I took 3 very large vapes, and surprisingly, even though the effects weren't very strong, it gets you in the zone and I didn't really want to consume anymore after that! Usually you want to get higher, but this one hit the spot! I haven't tried smoking the buds themselves, I surmise it won't really get you all that stoned.

Smoke: : this was surprising: despite taking 3 enormous vapes, every single one was incredibly smooth and silky! Very pleasurable, zero coughing. I've taken much smaller rips of other varieties that are way more harsh to the throat/lungs, leaving you almost uncomfortable for a few minutes afterwards while you recover. Parvati, on the other hand, is a very fine, "light" and easy to consume variety.

Flavor(rosin): The first rip I tried, it tasted slightly savory: wasn't too bad! Second rip I took after reloading the rosin, it was extremely hashy...like very well cured, primo hash flavor with a hint of spice...tasted excellent! However, I didn't get any of those fruity flavors as sensed in the freshly dried buds possibly because the bud was cured for so long. Maybe freshly harvested buds will have those fruity flavors.

Effects:Creeper! It took at least 5 minutes for the full effects to kick in. The high was warm, calming, and extremely comfortable. Your mind remains crystal clear the whole time and it's very functional. Mild visual distortions, and I definitely felt something throughout my entire body, especially some light headedness and relaxing, maybe mild, electric body high in my arms, legs, and torso. The subtle body high was a surprise for this sativa, maybe as a result of the long cure? It almost seemed indica-like in some ways, I didn't want to get up at first! In stark contrast, compared to some indica varieties, this doesn't leave your mind cloudy or leave you feeling like shit the next day, it's very easy on the body and mind. This is a great variety for relaxing in the evening, and I got excellent sleep on it too! Woke up the next day refreshed!

Rating: 7/10 As always, refer to the descriptions to draw your own conclusions, this is just my personal opinion. The quality of the high is what really gives this strain a higher rate than I was expecting, it's worth breeding with and improving on. Also, from a growing perspective, the plants themselves are very ornamental and have some of the most beautiful structures out of all the varieties I've grown. Pictures posted in this thread don't do this plant justice!!!

It was also very difficult extracting the resin from both flowers and from trim: the extract yield was moderate, but not as bad as some other landraces like malana. Could have just been my luck though, these populations are diverse and some individuals push out more resin than others.

As mentioned earlier, you definitely need to concentrate this strain for optimal effects: I don't think the buds are worth smoking alone...didn't even attempt that! Despite not being a strong strain, it leaves you very satisfied and definitely gets you "in the zone": it absolutely hits the spot! I don't think this is a strain for hardcore stoners: this seems more like something people should try out for medicinal purposes, or for those "weed pricks" (ie. the equivalent to snooty wine connoisseurs) who are interested in experiencing a different, unique high that you can't find in modern day hybrids.

achille

Veteran
Your description really reminded me of the wonderful Parvati hash, it can leads to very mystical situations...

elchischas

Veteran
Bear in mind these are names that don't necessarily correspond with strains per se.

The name Sheelavathi afaik is used to refer to the landrace-modern hybrid crosses used by "ganja mafia" groups. Certainly, Sheelavathi offerings from these IG guys have not been pure landraces. I can see that, and people I know who've grown them can confirm it.

To what extent Orissa has been affected by hybrids, I don't know. I'd expect it is still relatively easy to find authentic landraces there.
But I'd intepret "Orissa Gold" to mean good ganja from Orissa, rather than there being a definite strain called Orissa Gold.

The impression I get is that most of the Indian IG "strain hunter" guys don't have a great understanding of the plant. That's not a problem if you want to get seeds off them. But I'd take more or less all information from them with a big pinch of salt.

A couple of says ago I was reading one such account talking about how many "cultivars" there are in Kerala. Others claim the Idukki landrace has vanished. More likely what you have in Kerala is the basic Idukki landrace with variations upon that theme.

Differences in the end product (i.e., bud) are explained by variation, terroir, and how well the ganja has been cultivated and prepared. Clearly, eradication will have taken its toll on diversity. But the main reason for the decline in quality in Kerala is that farmers are forced to harvest early. People cut closer to 5 months rather than the 6 or more they would have done. Plus, the active role farmers need to take in selecting for quality has obviously gone down the pan since the '80s.

That said, there's absolutely nothing stopping people growing and working these genetics back toward their full potential. Even in a couple of packs you are very likely to find standout plants in a good ganja Sativa, i.e. mid to high double-digit THC etc.

Recently
I have seen many Indian "companies" of landraces that sell seeds for very high prices seeds that in my opinion are not worked
do you think there is a possibility that they are offering hybrids?
how to know if they really are landraces from India?
:chin::chin::chin:

Rajas

Premium user
Recently
I have seen many Indian "companies" of landraces that sell seeds for very high prices seeds that in my opinion are not worked
do you think there is a possibility that they are offering hybrids?
how to know if they really are landraces from India?
:chin::chin::chin:
If you tried them once you will find a very unique effect typical of this area. Terpenes will be very non modern and even somebody who is not an expert will say this doesnt smell like I used to think weed smells...

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
From the reports i read, nobody is talking anymore about the sweet carrot scent in Parvati, which is unique imo in Indian varieties.

Latest posts

Latest posts