What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Why redeyes?

420SOS

Although some people develop a certain amount of tolerance to cannabis, most consumers seem to get red eyes from time to time, there are a couple of medical reasons but I'm researching about individual cases, are there any conditions that might trigger that reaction on you? for me it is definitely mixing cannabis with alcohol

packerfan79

Veteran
Although some people develop a certain amount of tolerance to cannabis, most consumers seem to get red eyes from time to time, there are a couple of medical reasons but I'm researching about individual cases, are there any conditions that might trigger that reaction on you? for me it is definitely mixing cannabis with alcohol

The same reason your eyes get red, is the reason weed treats glaucoma. This happens because cannabis lowers your blood pressure causing dilation of blood vessels of the eyes. Alcohol has a similar effect.

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
One of my earliest pot head memories was looking out a friends window to see his mom coming home earlier than expected. As he rushed to spray air freshener I grabbed a bottle of eye drops and squirted into one of my eyes and immediately started screaming. Eye drops were actually cassette tape cleaner. Told his mom we were fucking around and he shot me in the eye with air freshener to explain why it was all red and I was in tears.

Man was that stupid. Read the label before putting stuff in your eye kids.

G

Gauss

Seems to be strain dependent for me as well, some do it and others don't. You can build up a slight tollerance to it as with every strain, but cannot avoid the effects. If you smoke more or have low tolerance you will get worse dry eyes, if you smoke less or have high tolerance you will have less dry eyes. That has been my observation, but I don't know what actually causes it.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Same here, I don't usually have red eyes except once in a while. I'm not sure if it's more common with WLD types, since I don't use those very much. I do have a VERY high tolerance. I have found there are different strains which have this effect for me, but constant use of a strain reduces my redness to nothing.

Gry

Visine profited massively from cannabis.
Always felt badly for those who felt a need
to use such things.

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Damn - I must be a newb then Lester - 'cos I get bloodshot eyes - when I am very toasted.

I rushed that post Gypsy, newb wasn't the right word. People always said smoke before you drink not after a few or you will get spins, puke etc. More seasoned smokers seem to be fine smoking and drinking in any order.

Was a dumb post on my part anyway. Everyone is different. Me personally I do not get red eye.

Stay lifted friends

Galaxy420

your eyes are loaded with cannabinoid receptors , phytocannabinoids from cannabis express themselves there

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The cause for red eyes from cannabis is a harmless, even perhaps beneficial one, but that doesn’t necessarily make it a welcome reaction to all. There are a few simple steps one can take to minimize or reduce redness of eyes during or after smoking.

Opt for low or no THC strains. Strains high in CBD, CBN, and the like may be a desirable alternative for those looking to lessen red eyes when toking.

Have eye drops on hand, especially brands specially formulated to reduce eye redness.
Stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water. Increasing your fluid intake may help alleviate the dryness you experience.

Simply let it run its course and plan smoke sessions for leisurely moments spent at home. Ultimately, red eyes are not harmful and come with no negative outcomes (other than the dated stigma associated with them).

The next time a glance in the mirror reveals a pair of bright red eyes after a smoke sesh, just remember that a little extra blood flow is nothing to worry about!

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
The medical reason for red eyes is what's called vasodilation. It literally means that blood vessels are dilated (made bigger) and this is very visible on the white background of the eye. You could, in theory, offset this by consuming a vasoconstrictor (makes blood vessels smaller) such as caffeine or nicotine.

As to which cannabinoid or cannabinoids are responsible for the vasodilation, I do not know.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks for that hush. Got me thinking, I would get glassy eyes but not so much red eyes back in the early days when I actually cared, because of parents etc.`

I always smoke a cig after toking so it might have countered the red eye.

Mr. J

Opt for low or no THC strains. Strains high in CBD, CBN, and the like may be a desirable alternative for those looking to lessen red eyes when toking.
If you're gonna do that you might as well not smoke anything at all, lol.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
420giveaway
I always heard the reason you get red eyes was because cannabis dries Mucous membranes.

Dry red eyes and cotton mouth.
Supposedly Victorian doctors would prescribe it to women with "heavy flow" because of its drying qualities.