What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

First Attempt seems fine but.....

Hello,

First, thank you in advance for taking a look see. I have really read up on the forums taking in as much as I can regarding cannabis. There are overwhelmingly so many opinions and recommendations for the whole process from equipment to genetics to what soil or medium etc...etc...ect... At some point you have to pull the trigger and make your move so this is what I got.

4X4x7 tent
400W MH/HPS interchangeable ballast
5 gal smart pots
Fans, humidifier

Soil (Base Mix)
1.5 cubic ft of FoxFarm Ocean Forest
1 cubit feet of FoxFarm Light Warrior
1 cubic feet of Earth worm castings
1/3 cubit feet of Sphagnum Peet Moss

The soil base is very light and airy

I amended the soil with:
2 cups Botanicare Pure organic plant food (bloom)
1/2 cup Gypsum

Temps are ranging 79 degrees to 85 degrees on the high end keeping humidity around 60 to 70 percent lights running 18hr on 6hr off.

These are right at 1 month from popping the soil. I just transplanted them from solo cups 3 days ago. The transplant went smooth with very little noticeable stress.

The girls seem like they are doing ok however I was thinking I would see more new growth quicker since they have new homes. They just seem sort of stalled out but maybe I am just tripping.
I have read that most cannabis plants don't need any feedings the first 3 to 5 weeks when transplanting into a new batch of soil. I have heard you need to let the plants tell you what they need when they need etc, I have read that over watering is one of the biggest mistakes noobs make. So I am very keen on that. I lifted the pots in stages of watering so I have a really good idea what the weights of the pots feel like completely dry to fully watered and in between.
I would like some advice on if there is anything I can do at this stage as far as feeding if any. What is a really good nutrient supplement that is "Organic" (this is a must) if I was to get one. I have read up on a lot of products but there are so many choices. I also have this Microbial superpack product called Recharge. I prefer to keep it as simple as possible try not to over think it but I want the best results possible as far as taste/terpenes,yield etc..
The strains are purchased from Growshopalien.com so I have really good genetics all feminized. Anyway, this is my first crack at it and I am hoping with help from you all I can have an excellent outcome. Gotta start somewhere. Anyways, thanks for reading and as always your humble opinions are appreciated...

Thank you :)

attachment.php

Attachments

• Five.jpg
    Five.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 29

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Those plants look happy & healthy to me.
I don't see a need for any additions at this time but I bet you'll get a few ideas about what you can add from others.

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've been growing for a long time. But I'm still new to growing. Always learning.

I think the stall you think you're experiencing is the plants growing roots. In my readings and limited experience, I've learned that the plant grows in spurts - roots then leaves, roots then leaves, etc. It grows root structure to increase size, then the rest of the plant catches up until it needs to do it again.

I'm sure if I'm wrong someone will be along to correct me. I wish could remember where I saw/heard that. It might have been one of the Kis Organics podcasts. Which are awesome, btw.

It might have been one of the Kis Organics podcasts. Which are awesome, btw.

I am familiar with kis organics. I agree lots of good info from those folks especially with no till and learning about microbial life. I will look into what you said and see what I can conjure up. I have heard explosive growth occurring during the bloom phase. I looked at the girls this morning and they seem like they haven't facilitated any new growth but again I am looking at them quite a bit which may have something to do with my perception. There is something therapeutic about just staring at them because they are such a kick ass plant. I could stare for hours. I told my girlfriend I need to turn my grow area into a shrine of sorts haha.

Thanks

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Take pics every once in a while and compare them to one another.

I'm sure you'll see some differences then.
Kis-Organics is a kick ass show...

wutwut

Veteran
420giveaway
i say that change 400w to 600w. it's optimal for 4x4 sized tent. your crop will thank you later :)

i say that change 400w to 600w. it's optimal for 4x4 sized tent. your crop will thank you later :)

Yeah, I have another 400W interchangeable light but I think the heat would be excessive as these hoods are not light cooled. I do have an 8 bulb 2ft fixture I could ad though. It's just laying around and it would ad another 20000 lumens. I don't think it is a light issue. I have the light about 16-18 inches away from the tops and I have a Lux meter reading around 30000 plus Lux but the outer plants drop significantly but I do rotate the pots as well as angle/adjust the light for optimum coverage. The soil as I mentioned is very loose and airy and is damp at best the first 3 to 4 inches but the pots still weigh as if they are holding quite a bit of moisture So I don't think that they are dehydrated. I mean do they look like they are in need of anything or am I just being over protective. lol

https://www.icmag.com/ic/attachment.php?attachmentid=468202&stc=1&d=1536156577

Attachments

• 20160201 142129 resized
    20160201 142129 resized
    54.5 KB · Views: 46

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran

Wutwut he said lol

Everything looks good except a little low on light. It will work fine and maybe upgrade in the future.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I agree, 400w is very small for a 4x4. Turning your plants will only help a little. Personally, I run a 1000w HPS in a 4x4 and it turns out rather nice with 6 plants. :)

MrBungle

The medium looks a lil dry... When they are transplanted into big containers as relatively small plants they can stall out, especially if the roots don't have moist soil to spread out...

When they are like that I like to focus most of the water to the outside ring of dirt around the pot then just a lil bit towards the base of the plant to keep it moist ,but not water logged.. once the roots start to spread out you can water more evenly....

Keep up the good work!

I agree, 400w is very small for a 4x4. Turning your plants will only help a little. Personally, I run a 1000w HPS in a 4x4 and it turns out rather nice with 6 plants. :)

I am on the interwebs as we speak looking at a new light. There is a kit from grow light central Air-Cooled Hood 1000 Watt HPS & MH Grow Light Kit seen here if you want https://growlightcentral.com/collec...r-cooled-hood-1000-watt-hps-mh-grow-light-kit

With discounts I can get it for just a couple of trichomes over $300.

The medium looks a lil dry...

Keep up the good work!

Thanks man, I will heed your suggestions. The soil looks dry and for the first 3 to 4 inches it is. I just want to be careful not to water log them. I am thinking that these 5 gal smart pots would take 1 to 1.5 gallons poured in at stages for even saturation. The soil is airy enough IMO where this amount of water would make it to the bottom. It's a learning process. I would rather underwater than overwater but I think I will start with 1 to 1.5 gallons per plant and take it from there. I wish I could see what the roots looked like since I transplanted. With the soil being so loose and airy I am sure the roots are not having any issues as they should easily be able to move their way through the soil.

MrBungle

I use 1 gal for a heavy watering once in a while, but usually a half gallon or so is good enough for 5 gal smart pots in my experience.... If its staying wet at the bottom then maybe consider circulating more air in the lower section of your room... I'm sure you'll get it dialed in soon enough!

Edit: I also use saucers as to not waste or cause a mess

Last edited:

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
Most likely they just stalled out a bit due to the transplant. They look happy and healthy, so give them a few days and they should get back on track.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I am on the interwebs as we speak looking at a new light. There is a kit from grow light central Air-Cooled Hood 1000 Watt HPS & MH Grow Light Kit seen here if you want https://growlightcentral.com/collec...r-cooled-hood-1000-watt-hps-mh-grow-light-kit

With discounts I can get it for just a couple of trichomes over $300.
Keep in mind you'll also need a 6" inline fan, at least 3 6" hose clamps and 6" ducting. It's designed to have air flowing through the hood using an inline fan.

Keep in mind you'll also need a 6" inline fan, at least 3 6" hose clamps and 6" ducting. It's designed to have air flowing through the hood using an inline fan.

Thanks Douglas,

Yeah, currently I have a 4" fan that will be used to scrub the air once they start putting off that beautiful smell we all love. If I can find a reducer from a 6" to 4" I will be able use the existing 4" ducting I have leftover. I have seen setups where growers use an exhaust fan to both pull air through their hoods and scrub the air all in one setup which seems resourceful. I have no problem creating a negative pressure using just the 4" inline I currently have and it has a speed control so I can dial it down to where the tents sides even out. I might go with a 6" but IMO I don't think it is needed for reasons I stated. A 4" dedicated exhaust fan just to keep the lamp cooled (somewhat) and exhaust into the attic is what I am leaning towards :good:

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I am familiar with kis organics. I agree lots of good info from those folks especially with no till and learning about microbial life. I will look into what you said and see what I can conjure up. I have heard explosive growth occurring during the bloom phase. I looked at the girls this morning and they seem like they haven't facilitated any new growth but again I am looking at them quite a bit which may have something to do with my perception. There is something therapeutic about just staring at them because they are such a kick ass plant. I could stare for hours. I told my girlfriend I need to turn my grow area into a shrine of sorts haha.

Thanks
I am 100% certain every single person on this site has experienced that at one point in their growing careers.:biggrin: