What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Anything Outdoor 2018

Well I don’t know how big the root balls are or will end up being but don’t let the 400 gallon pot let your imagination run to wild.. I’m not just growing 1 huge monster in it.. I put 8 plants in it.. it looks like a big bush! Here in a few weeks I’m going to have to start doing some major trimming of fan leafs on those 8

-TheShortTexan-

Well I don’t know how big the root balls are or will end up being but don’t let the 400 gallon pot let your imagination run to wild.. I’m not just growing 1 huge monster in it.. I put 8 plants in it.. it looks like a big bush! Here in a few weeks I’m going to have to start doing some major trimming of fan leafs on those 8

That's still plenty wild for my west Texas imagination. I'm just thinking of all the work that ges into filling that pot!! Keep it up compadre.:tiphat:

MountainBudz

⛽🦨 Kinebud and Heirloom Preservationist! 🦨 ⛽
Hey could some of my Appalachian mtn guys help me out? Wvkind buds and mountain buds I know you guys for sure and anybody else out there who may know! I’m wanting to top dress all of my plants with oh about a 1/2 cup of epsom salt along with a cup of bone meal and a 1/2 cup of slow release fertilizer. My only big concern is that I have always stayed away from organic’s because the deer are everywhere around here and they have ate I couldn’t tell you how many seedlings over the years. I have never had problems with them messing with larger plants tho. My question is do you think the deer will eat and dig in the dirt and destroy my roots if I too dress with epsom salt?
P.S I’ve tried uploading pictures but still haven’t figured it out!
Everybody’s babies are looking awesome though!!!

Hey Kangaroo, sorry for the late reply but I haven't been on the forums much last couple of days as I've been super busy, as always, that's my life lol... But no man I wouldn't worry about the animals messing with the Epsom salts, or your plants as they are mature, especially deer. The ONLY thing I would worry about would be the bone meal. I have used it a lot and still do, most of the time nothing messes with it, however, sometimes they do.

I would go head and throw it to it bro... I would imagine you are perfectly safe. One option though I would go with, if you are doing it for the high P and the calcium, I would switch to guano for the P, unless you wanna go with a chemical source of phosphorus... For the calcium I would add dolomite lime, maybe crushed up more than it already is with a hammer, or, oyster shell flour. I personally enjoy using ALL of the above and giving different plants different things, that's the only way to learn is from experience and changes... Been growing 17 years and I NEVER wanna stop learning the bad or the good, and I still change things up till this day.

I will say that Sunleaves came out with a new bat guano caller "Madagascan Bat Guano", it is the highest source of P in the entire guano line and contains no N or K.... Only P... I love the stuff man!

Hope this helped a little buddy! Anything else just let me know.. :tiphat:

MountainBudz

⛽🦨 Kinebud and Heirloom Preservationist! 🦨 ⛽
I went ahead and got a screen shot of that Madagascan bat guano. This shit is the king of all guanos in my experience... I love that it has only P (and such a high number) in it and no N or K... I understand that a little N and K are also important in flower as well. But I personally would rather have my sources of N-P-K, from separate sources of compounds because in my experience it is easier to give the plant what it lacks the most and balance out the N, to the P, to the K according to what the plants are telling you rather than giving them a solid N-P-K whole formula... Like a base for example.. Indoors, I enjoy a good base nutrient, however outdoors I like my NPK to come from separate sources... An NPK complete base nutrient, in my experience is like having an automatic vehicle compared to separate sources of the elements NP and K which I would compare to a manual vehicle. Sounds crazy right? But hopefully you catch on haha... :biggrin:

Also, I love giving lots of liquid kelp extract (seaweed juice), because in my opinion K is very important during flower, especially early to mid flower( But don't give too much, as it can lock out P which can really fuck flowering up!). Not only that but seaweed (kelp) extracts contain natural occurring PGR's... One that really stands out is "triacontanol", which ime drastically reduce a stretch and adds more trich production as well. Ok... Lol i will stop now... Have no idea what led me to this explanation, I am super baked and just rolling with it though haha...:laughing:

But here is that guano...

Screenshot_2018-07-28-00-08-21.jpg

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yes! What is it, bats that eat fruit only have high P guano and bats that eat insects only have high N guano? Pretty sure thats right.

I hear what you're saying about using specific fertilizers to suppliment what the plants specifically needs, but I have had great luck using garden tone. I think becuase inorganic ferts are quicker release, it makes it easier to have luxury consumption, lockout, high fertilizer burn issues. Organics are generally safe even at high rates. The only issue with organics is acid build-up and using a little (1/4 cup) dolomite lime at the beginning of the year tilled in the soil buffers acidity.

I like the idea that I can put the fertilizer down and it has everything its going to need. I could probably suppliment with a little more N early on in the season, but this Garden tone is great! Plants speak for themselves. The mix seems to keep the plants moving. However every plants needs are different. So some may feed heavier on certain nutrients. I'd like to try foliar feeding some time and see what that does!

What are ya smoking tonight? I'm finishing the 2017 crop in the next few smokes. Must be getting close to harvest time.... Still have to figure out what do do with this old herb. Have 2016 and 2015 jars still. Need to have a party I guess! I give it away to friends and family. Show God's Love..... Just Be Kind! :smoke:

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
The maxicrop SOULABLE type seaweed is 0-0-17....it's different from there liquid seaweed. I love both and am using the 0-0-17 SOULABLE myself this yr. I've used both types religious for at least the better part of the last 15yrs. I wouldn't start a grow without seaweed.....cannabis loves this stuff like a fat kid does a candy bar loł

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
Im pretty sure Triacontanol comes from alfalfa and kelp contains gibberellins, auxins, betaines, and cytokinins. I mixed alfalfa and kelp meals into my soil and also used them in feeds/teas/foliars simultaneously to get the benefits of both.

Dday391

I use dr.earth homegrown and it's been pretty good to me so far. I'm gonna have to grab the flower formula soon. I got it because I needed a simple mix that was organic and affordable. I've even read there full year regimen for cannabis haha. I didn't do that this year but I'm thinking I might next year. Have any of you used dr earth?

I haven’t used dr earth but next year I’m going to go out about a month before planting and put a heaping couple hand fulls of growilla in my holes and mix it in good.. I’ve never used it before but unless I change my mind I’m gonna get crazy and go for it! :woohoo:

Mountain buds I think I will experiment with some bat poo as well.. another old timer around here always swore by it.. I’ve just always stuck with my tried and true in fear of the deer! These forums make you want to stretch your neck a bit tho haha..

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
I used the different bat guano in my indoor grows back in the day. I tried to do as many different organic nutes per grow as I could. I didn't like to use the same nutes twice in a roll. I had a very strict,steady different blend of nutes in a strict cycle....I know this doesn't pertain to outdoors but the point is bat guano and a lot of organics work good but I kinda use a different regimen outdoors. I never really liked the fish fertilizer indoors but I use it outdoors pretty steady all through veg. I always liked the Indonesian bat guano but never have got to try the magagascar

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
Mountain buds I think I will experiment with some bat poo as well.. another old timer around here always swore by it.. I’ve just always stuck with my tried and true in fear of the deer! These forums make you want to stretch your neck a bit tho haha..

I dunno if you read my post about this huge buck on the other side of my grow area. It was prolly half a football field other side of my building/house area. I've mainly got moth balls, urine, deer repellent....I just sprayed the repellent after I saw him. I've got marine cuisine and America pride along with the seaweed and fish fertilizer I use in my soil. I'm hoping those bastards stay outta the garden. I've had a few guerilla plants that was small/not getting enough lite the deer nipped the tops off.

-TheShortTexan-

Lots of amazing info the past few posts... Is there a store close by all of you that you can find these specialty soil amendments or are you ordering them and having them shipped??

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
Lots of amazing info the past few posts... Is there a store close by all of you that you can find these specialty soil amendments or are you ordering them and having them shipped??

Well it's no secret in these parts you gotta order anything/ everything....especially guano, seaweed, pretty much if Walmart or Lowes don't have it I'm ordering it. In the past when I lived up in the Midwest I would drive to a hydro store. I could take a drive to superior growers supply I think was the name around East Lansing. They had everything I used to drive over there and get loads of Ocean Forest and other supplies for all my indoor grows. I'm not sure if those guys are still open it's been along time since I was there(at least 8yrs)but it was a nice store they had everything....including a website and mail order. But down in the Appalachias 95% of these guys just use miracle grow lol....it's very 20-30yrs ago still around here. But I've just been using amazon prime to order stuff, I've been getting the cheapest price with fast free shipping you can't go wrong. I know were it's illegal there's just no hydro stores or anything of that nature around here. But amazon prime should be able to hook you up on about anything:tiphat:

Wvkindbuds you sound about like me.. sometimes I break out all the deer repelling tricks, usually for my plants when there small.. I may apply them again when I top dress with the organics just to be on the safe side!

Shorttexan.. order everything usually.. but like wvkindbuds said, I can get a lot of my stuff at Walmart,Lowe’s etc.. I’m one of those guys that still use some miracle grow stuff lol.. not saying it in a bragging manner at all but me and plenty of people have grown some monsters with nearly nothing.. I put more into it now days.. but back in the day, oh yea..

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Im pretty sure Triacontanol comes from alfalfa and kelp contains gibberellins, auxins, betaines, and cytokinins. I mixed alfalfa and kelp meals into my soil and also used them in feeds/teas/foliars simultaneously to get the benefits of both.

Pretty sure I remember reading and hearing in class plant roots can't take up hormones because the molecules are too big. Whats triacontanol?

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
Thats really strange pipeline, i cant find anything about plant roots not being able to uptake plant hormones, PGRs or Phytohormones have been used on a wide assortment of crops and shown productive increases both as a root drench and foliar.

Triacontanol Info:

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/17429145.2011.619281

"Triacontanol (TRIA) is a natural plant growth regulator found in epicuticular waxes. It is used to enhance the crop production in millions of hectares, particularly in Asia. Quite a number of researchers have reported the TRIA-mediated improvement in growth, yield, photosynthesis, protein synthesis, uptake of water and nutrients, nitrogen-fixation, enzymes activities and contents of free amino acids, reducing sugars, soluble protein, and active constituents of essential oil in various crops.

Expectedly, TRIA enhances the physiological efficiency of the cells and, thus, exploits the genetic potential of plant to a large extent. TRIA mediated increase in dry matter production could influence the inter-relationship between primary and secondary metabolism, leading to increased biosynthesis of secondary products. Various studies present strong evidences that application of TRIA applied either to the root medium or to leaves enhanced the growth and yield of vegetables and other crops, including agronomic and horticultural crops as well as medicinal and aromatic crop plants under normal and adverse conditions."

More Information From:https://buildasoil.com/blogs/news/12749473-triacontanol-as-a-growth-stimulant?page=4

"For many years beneficial effects of alfalfa on plants, animals and humans have been suspected. In the mid-seventies intense interest was generated by Stanley K. Ries et. al. when they observed significant increases in growth and productivity of plants which were in close proximity to alfalfa hay (Medicago sativa L). Further investigation led to the isolation of the active principle in alfalfa, 1-triacontanol. Alfalfa and triacontanol in small quantities not only stimulated growth and productivity of plants, but did so in the dark independently of photosynthesis. Triacontanol is a ubiquitous long chain alcohol found incorporated in the surface of many plants and is a major component of beeswax.

Triacontanol in that the long chain alcohol is very insoluble in water and in most other solvents. Ries and others have used combinations of solvents, detergents and surfactants in efforts to keep triacontanol in solution. A.J. Welebir is reported to have found additional requirements such as a solution at a pH of 8 or higher and the presence of metal ions such as calcium in the triacontanol solution. Using a solution of triacontanol with the above additions, Welebir has produced even more amazing growth and production than others have achieved and has done it consistently.

Materials for experiment #2 consisted of eight first-year rooted cuttings (clones) of genetically identical plants of W. Delp's hybrid rhododendron (R. pink carolinianum x R. scintillans) #1. The cuttings were about the same size, consisting of one or two stems, small leaves and fairly uniform small root systems. They were placed in a rooting bed in a cold greenhouse (minimum temperature was 40°F.) The soil mixture was equal parts of peat and perlite. Bottom heat of 80°F was present.

One mg of 1-triacontanol was dissolved in one ml of chloroform, carefully diluted with de-ionized water to make a 0.1 mg/liter solution. (Ries had found that aqueous solutions containing small amounts of chloroform had no effect on plants.) The pH of the solution was 5.3. The pH of the rooting mixture was 5.5. No calcium ions were present except in buffers found in the well-water (pH 7) with which the plants were sprayed at frequent intervals.

The trial began in mid-January when plants were dormant. Six of the eight plants were painted thoroughly with the triacontanol solution and this was repeated in one week and again in mid-April. In May the rooted cuttings were transplanted to individual pots. In June only four of the 8 plants were sprayed and in August only 2 of the 8 plants were sprayed making 5 the maximum number of doses for two of the plants.

The first results of the experiment was an obvious premature break in dormancy within the first two weeks in the triacontanol treated plants (end of January), whereas dormancy did not end until early May in the control plants. After 2 months the growth in treated plants was double that of the untreated plants. At the end of the growing season the amount of growth roughly paralleled the number and duration of treatments. A fantastic amount of growth had occurred especially in those plants which had 4 and 5 treatments over most of the growing season. Those receiving 5 treatments had tertiary branching as compared to secondary branching in those with 3 and 4 treatments and primary branching in the remainder. The root system after 5 treatments appeared proportionately larger than other aspects of the plant. One of the most profound differences was that of a total weight of 2¾ times greater in maximally treated plants as compared to untreated plants. Of great interest also was the double number of blossom buds in maximally treated plants and the diameter of those buds was twice that of the untreated plants.

Fig20.jpg

Comparison of control vs triacontanol treated plants:

Plant weights without soil:

Control plant: 30.2 grams
Treated plant: 83.1 grams (275% increase)

Trunk base diameter:

Control plant: 4mm
Treated plant: 8mm (100% increase)

Number of branches:

Control plant: 4
Treated plant: 10 (150% increase)

Number of leaves:

Control plant: 62
Treated plant: 167 (269% increase)

Number of flower buds:

Control plant: 4
Treated plant: 8 (100% increase)

Last edited:

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
Oh yea I'm sure it can be done. My first 2-3 grows back when I was a young teenager in the late 80s I used miracle grow. That's all everybody used around here especially yrs ago. I've seen guys grow trees with miracle grow....stalks like baseball bats lol. I'm not knocking miracle gro....yea it'll work if you get the rt type and be very careful. There's just a lot of better options I've learned to use over the yrs.

I'm gonna hike up to my guerilla patch up on the mtn top and check on things. I've got 1 plant I couldn't tell if it was m/f and I've afraid it's a male and will dust the fems up there. I've got 6-7 nice fems up there. I'm gonna take some nutes up there too!!!