What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

I suck at cloning. That's not a question but this is

Americangrower

Veteran
Until the power goes out..ill stick with formed medium.

power would have to be out for over 2 days maybe longer idk. I do know that twice this winter we lost power for over 36 hr and clones had zero problems. To each their own but I like simple things, I don't have time to mist, open dome, close dome.

PaulieWaulie

Veteran
I didn't have any luck trying to root in rockwell cubes/humdiity dome, with it sitting at the edge of the canopy. Could also be that the lighting was 18/6, & temps got down to 18-20C during lights off. But I also didn't ph soak the cubes in 5.5-6.0. got lazy and did at Ph 7.

Now back to 24 hour cycle with a fluro on top. 23 Watts for a 10" by 20" tray and dome, 12" from the cuts. Will soak rockwell in ph 5.8 solution next run. shoot for consistent 77F temps.

I had cloning figured out, rooted over 100 cuttings by now, but still intimidated and loose batches fairly often screwing up my perpetual cycles/.

starke

When I decided to simplify, cloning got easy:

One Rubbermaid container inside another with six or eight Tiki Torch wicks connecting the two containers. I sprayed the outside black to prevent algae. Top container is filled with pure washed perlite. Bottom container is filled with about two inches of ph'd, 110ppm/.5 well water with two drops bleach added.

Clones are cut and soaked for 8 - 12 hours in ph'd well water with a few drops of Superthrive added. These clones were cut about two hours ago.

In the morning these clones will be placed in the cloner. The cloner sits on an old heating pad connected to a controller that keeps the media temp at 80 degres F. The cloner receives indirect lighting from the homemade LED fixtures in my veg area and is covered with a clear Sterilte container turned upside down to further diffuse the lighting. I'm sure this container acts to hold in some humidity, but the clones are never sprayed. I never observe condensation on the inside of the container.

In 7 to 14 days (depending on strain) I have roots in 98% of my cuttings.

No pumps, timers, over or underwatering. Just clones. Probably don't even need the heating pad as my veg room stays around 80 - 82F anyway.

Starke that is a sweet setup man clones love to start in perlite I figured that out awhile back and have yet to have any dampen off using it. I usually just use small foam cups with a hole poked in them and run them hempy style and tear the bottom of the cup off and transplant without having to yank the clone free from the perlite. But that setup you got there looks pretty awesome I might have to try it out. With the hempy cups I have to water them frequently but your setup looks like it'd be a lot less of a hassle.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
You guys who are phing your water, what are you phing it to? Our water here comes out a 7 even so I didn't figure I needed to do anything.

You guys who are phing your water, what are you phing it to? Our water here comes out a 7 even so I didn't figure I needed to do anything.

I've heard a lot of people say ph is not that critical until roots form and some even using solutions with a ph as high as 8.0. I'm not sure if that's really the case though so I run a ph of around 6.0-6.5 and prewash the perlite in the same solution before using it. If the root riot cubes are giving you a lot of trouble i highly reccomend trying perlite out that setup starke has would give you a pretty high success rate i bet. Good luck man hope your next batch pulls through for you

DoubleTripleOG

Chemdog & Kush Lover Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor

When I clone in rockwool, I drop the ph of the soak water down to 5.5. When using seedling starter mix, I don't adjust at all. My water comes out of the tap at 6.8 -7. So the lime in the seedling mix brings it right into the perfect range(6.6-6.8)

starke

Here are the clones in the cloner this morning. Eighteen clones, six each of three strains:

I did not ph my well water until fairly recently when I switched from soil to Hempys. My well water ranges 8.2 to 8.6 and it made clones just fine. I ph my water now to 5.8 out of habit but for the cloner I have not noticed any real difference.

If I remember, Ill check back in with the end results of this clone run in about two weeks.

Peace,
starke

Last edited:
Here are the clones in the cloner this morning. Eighteen clones, six each of three strains:

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=73782&pictureid=1849096&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=73782&pictureid=1849097&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

I did not ph my well water until fairly recently when I switched from soil to Hempys. My well water ranges 8.2 to 8.6 and it made clones just fine. I ph my water now to 5.8 out of habit but for the cloner I have not noticed any real difference.

If I remember, Ill check back in with the end results of this clone run in about two weeks.

Peace,
starke
Please do if you can remember if that thing works as good as it looks I'm definitely building my own. Watering my mini hempy cups can get laborious I'd be down to upgrade.

Illuminate

Keyboard Warrior
Veteran
I left a few cheese clones in one of them on my windosill and when a came back from vacation not only had they rooted but they had grown 6".

Maddas

I had a clone before and this is how I set about getting it to grow, which it did, quite vigorously too. After having made the cutting, I left in water over night. The next day I completely covered the cut area in aloe Vera goo. Wrapped it with a little tissue and stuck it in the soil. Watered only around the area where i inserted it into the ground. Needless to say it rooted perfectly and the rest was history. Don't forget to trim the leaves, you want the plant to focus solely on making roots at this point. With regards to how much water it was given, id say I gave it about a cup and a half each day until noticeable growth was obvious. Hope this helps.

bsgospel

Bat Macumba
Starke- do you rinse the perlite between batches? I can't quite tell in the pics but are the wicks sticking out of the perlite at the top? Good show- that looks really simple/cool etc.

Always an impressive show Starke. I use jiffy cubes that i presoak in ph'd water, cut at 45 degree angles, and gently scrape the outer layer of the bottom stem, dip in water again then cover with powder hormone. Ive used several "clone" domes, but now i just use two sterilite containers that are about 7x3x4 and dome them together.

Every one has a slightly different approach.

starke

bsgospel: When I pull the rooted clones I pour about a gallon of well water with a quarter cup of bleach in it through the perlite and let it saturate the perlite and wicks for anywhere between an hour and a week - depends on when my stoner ass remembers to dump it out. I then separate the top and bottom like in the second picture in my first post above and let the whole thing air dry until needed again. The perlite in the cloner now has been through three previous runs of cannabis clones and a run of hibiscus and cigar butterfly plant clones. It is still in good shape but I will probably replace after this run just because perlite is cheap.

The tiki torch wicks are fiberglass and other synthetic materials so they do not rot and the bleach does not bother them. Yes, the wicks reach up to the top of the container.

ColoSpringBudZ: Thanks. You are right. We all find a way that works for us...pretty much in everything...cloning, growing...life... :)...knew I should not have taken that last hit.

Last edited:

budsicles

I feel your pain. It took me years to get my cloning technique down. Here are the keys that got me from 0-20% success rate, up to greater than 90%.

1) Use Rapid Rooters or other similar plugs made from composted tree bark.

2) Get a tall dome for your tray. Don't use the small flimsy domes from big box stores. I keep the vents closed for the first week.

3) Get a heat mat with thermostat that has a sensor/probe. Keep the plugs around 75-81F. I set mine for 77. Higher temps can root faster, but also increases the chances of rot/death in my experience.

4) Always have a thin layer of water on the bottom of the tray to maintain humidity, but don't let the plugs actually sit in the water. The plugs need to stay moist, not waterlogged.

5) Clonex gel.

6) Don't use too strong of a light, or too much blue spectrum. I just use an 18" 15w fluorescent strip with a warm white bulb sitting directly on top of the dome.

7) Use sharp scissors cleaned with rubbing alcohol. Razor blades and angled cuts work, but isn't necessary. Trim the leaves down so that neighboring clones won't have touching/overlapping leaves that can hold condensation and cause mold.

8) I never spray clones. Just make sure the leaves are subjected to high humidity, and the plugs are always moist but not waterlogged.

edit...
9) I don't use any nutrients or supplements, just well water or bottled spring water. I also just rinse out the trays in the sink in between runs. No bleach or sterilizers.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
Fuck me. Yesterday I took 7 more cuttings. Soaked the ends in room temprature water overnight. Sprayed with Clonex Mist, cut the ends right below a node and dipped in Clonex gel, put into the vermiculite ice tray cloner. Today 6 of them fell over with weak stems and 1 of them is standing up like a champ. I'm really bad at this, but I am gonna keep trying. Perseverance in the face of adversity and all that.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
That's the one I just made :D I can fuck up a way that people are getting 100%. At some point I am gonna have to question if these plants are just a bad source of clones. I'm already popping more seeds as a contingency plan.

I dont soak my cuttings over night. The time between the cut and being inserted in whatever plug i use is about 90 seconds. If they are getting mushy try lowering the humidity in the dome a lil. 80% is way low for clones but if they get mushy, mold will follow within a few days, and thats a dead plant.

In the past I've had over 90% success with this method. See my previous post.

I make sure everything is damp but not soaked.