What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Degumming of extracts

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I had something of the same issue, with what sounds like the same mysterious white substance. I resolved it by putting the hazy or "Dirty Oil" into a beaker and began heating it up to 130c. once it reached temp I began to stir at about 700-1000 rpm. The weird substance started to trail up the sides of the beaker and rise to the surface. there they somewhat clumped together into a weird goo. I scraped off this goo (think skim milk), and carefully poured the "dirty oil" into another beaker. This beaker was then placed in the same position as the previous (on a hotplate with a stirrer at 130c, 500rpm). Next you wait to see if anything else seems to rise to the surface, if not then you should be good to go. Warning- it is a bitch to clean the substance from the first beaker, you may want to use a steel pad.

An aqueous NaOH solution should make short work of removing the deposits.