What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Industrial Hemp in Oregon

Sam,
Can you give any insight on how you made and used your STS solution?

I've seen two different solutions.
1. Is taking .5g silver nitrate added to 500ml distilled water. Then 2.5 grams sodium thiosulfate into distilled water. Those two are mixed together then diluted 1:9 to make sts spray.

2. .7 gram silver nitrate in 70 ml distilled water. 2.6 gram sodium thiosulfate into distilled water. These are mixed together then added to 800 ml distilled water which is your spray. spray application day1,4,8,12,16 of flower.

As of now I am going to try the first recipe and do one plant with 1:9 dilution then another plant 1:4 and another with no dilution and sprayed every 5-7 days. Then I'll also try solution 2, as stated. Any guidance or suggestions would be helpful.

Socio is their any laws/rules being proposed that's going to make industrial hemp be grown only as females in Oregon? Is their currently anyone growing hemp and producing hemp seed oil in Oregon?

starke

So glad to see hemp is beginning to be treated with the respect it so richly deserves.

Sam,
Can you give any insight on how you made and used your STS solution?

I've seen two different solutions.
1. Is taking .5g silver nitrate added to 500ml distilled water. Then 2.5 grams sodium thiosulfate into distilled water. Those two are mixed together then diluted 1:9 to make sts spray.

2. .7 gram silver nitrate in 70 ml distilled water. 2.6 gram sodium thiosulfate into distilled water. These are mixed together then added to 800 ml distilled water which is your spray. spray application day1,4,8,12,16 of flower.

As of now I am going to try the first recipe and do one plant with 1:9 dilution then another plant 1:4 and another with no dilution and sprayed every 5-7 days. Then I'll also try solution 2, as stated. Any guidance or suggestions would be helpful.

Socio is their any laws/rules being proposed that's going to make industrial hemp be grown only as females in Oregon? Is their currently anyone growing hemp and producing hemp seed oil in Oregon?

You'll have good success with your first option at a stronger dilution rate. I like 1:4 as a general starting point once a week, but, again, it really is plant / goal dependent. RE: all female hemp. I proposed that rule two years ago, but it was shot down on the last day of the legislative session and led to many cross pollination events in 2016. As of today, that isn't going to be the case in Oregon in 2017 either, but we are doing all we can on farmer education in collaboration with the Oregon Department of Ag. There are a few farmers who grow for seed oil (and it tastes awesome), but we discourage that west of the cascades.

R

Robrites

Hemp industry members file legal challenge against DEA’s new marijuana extract rule

Hemp industry members file legal challenge against DEA’s new marijuana extract rule

The hemp industry has taken the DEA to court in the wake of a controversial new rule on marijuana extracts.

Denver’s Hoban Law Group, representing the Hemp Industries Association, Centuria Natural Foods and RMH Holdings LLC, on Friday filed a judicial review action against the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration, alleging the agency overstepped its bounds when enacting a rule establishing coding for marijuana derivatives such as cannabidiol (CBD) oil. The action, Hoban attorneys allege, puts at risk a booming cannabis and hemp industry and a wide variety of hemp-based products currently on the market.

“We’re talking about jobs and the economy and agricultural (revival),” attorney Bob Hoban said in an interview with The Cannabist on Friday.

The DEA last month confounded many in the cannabis industry with the filing of a final rule notice establishing a Controlled Substances Code Number for “marihuana extract,” and subsequently maintaining marijuana, hemp and their derivatives as Schedule I substances.

DEA officials said the code number would assist in the tracking of materials for research and would aid in complying with treaty provisions. However, compliance attorney Hoban and others expressed concern at the time that the language could result in federal agencies viewing products produced from marijuana and hemp as illegal.

The rule was set to take effect Friday — the same day Hoban filed suit in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit in San Francisco.

Hoban’s petition seeks a judicial review of the final rule on the basis that the action was inconsistent with the law — including the U.S. Controlled Substances Act and the Agricultural Act of 2014, or the Farm Bill — and effectively amounts to a scheduling action.

A scheduling action, Hoban said, would need congressional approval.

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/01/13/hemp-legal-challenge-dea-marijuana-extract/

Thanks for sharing that Robrites! I think the legal challenge is unnecessary considering the current federal laws, but any suit against the DEA is a good thing. I think there is a very good chance the appellants will win that case too; it mirrors the HIA v. DEA (2003) 9th circuit case in important and judicially predictable ways. DEA definitely overstepped their authority, regardless of how you look at it.

We have received a lot of inquiries from our flower and seed clients about the DEA action in the last month. I put together a "compliance package" that we are sending out in response to these questions. I've included the brief policy / legal overview below. I also include the complete HIA v. DEA decision, the 2014 Farm Bill, and the 2016 Budget, along with our state hemp production registration and ODA test results from each of our 2016 fields (5). It helps assuage concern.

Compliance Package Overview​

We provide this general overview of current federal law and supporting documentation to help clients understand the opportunity that is presented by high quality industrial hemp in the US. Hemp products produced under federally compliant state agricultural programs can be sold anywhere in the country without federal restriction or interference from the US Drug Enforcement Administration (though health claims for said products are still under the purvey of the FDA and not recommended). Relevant federal laws and legal decisions include Hemp Industries Association v. DEA (2003), the 2014 Farm Bill, and the 2016 Consolidated Appropriations Act (all attached). A brief synopsis of each and the legal basis for federally legal hemp products is elucidated below.

Hemp Industries Association v. Drug Enforcement Agency (2003) (HIA v. DEA)
In 2003, the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals heard a case from hemp product manufacturers who sued the DEA after the agency issued rules preventing the use of hemp in consumer products due to the presence of trace amounts of THC. The court decided in favor of the appellants, ruling that the Controlled Substances Act only prohibits (1) synthetic THC and (2) marijuana, the latter of which is defined as cannabis containing THC. The court further specified that “non-psychoactive hemp is explicitly excluded from the definition of marijuana” and “non-psychoactive hemp is not included in Schedule 1” (pgs. 1798 and 1801). The amount of allowable THC was not decided in this case, as it was outside the purvey of the court and required an act of Congress to establish; however, the decision provided the legal basis for businesses to import industrial hemp for use in consumer products.

Agricultural Act of 2014, Section 7606 (2014) (Farm Bill)
This historic legislation establishes the legality of industrial hemp produced in state pilot agricultural programs. Congress provides the requisite definition for allowable amounts of THC that was missing in the HIA v. DEA case: “'industrial hemp' means the plant Cannabis sativa L. and any part of such plant, whether growing or not, with a delta-9 tetrahydrocannabinol concentration of not more than 0.3 percent on a dry weight basis”. An important legal distinction also appears in the first sentence of this bill, stating: “Notwithstanding the Controlled Substances Act (21 U.S.C. 801 et seq.), the Safe and Drug-Free Schools and Communities Act (20 U.S.C. 7101 et seq.), chapter 81 of title 41, United States Code, or any other Federal law”. The term “notwithstanding” was widely used by the 114th Congress as a way to supersede previous laws that may apply, without going through the process of overturning them. This confirms that hemp cannot be considered “marijuana” under the CSA.

Consolidated Appropriations Act, Sec. 763 (2016)
This legislation was the omnibus federal budget for FY2016. It contains a short, but critically important clarification that confirms Congressional intent regarding interstate commerce of domestically produced hemp commodities and products:

“None of the funds made available by this Act or any other Act may be used—

(1) in contravention of section 7606 of the Agricultural Act of 2014 (7 U.S.C. 5940); or

(2) to prohibit the transportation, processing, sale, or use of industrial hemp that is grown or cultivated in accordance with subsection section 7606 of the Agricultural Act of 2014, within or outside the State in which the industrial hemp is grown or cultivated” (pg. 2285).

No federal funds can be used to impede legal industrial hemp programs or to prohibit interstate hemp commerce. Identical language is currently included in the 2017 budget as well; despite dramatic changes in the executive branch of government this year, we expect to see this practice continued, as the principal proponent of hemp in Congress is Senate President Mitch McConnell (R).

Implications
Our company is a national leader in the production of terpene-rich, high CBD industrial hemp; we specialize in plant breeding and large-scale cannabis agronomy, and use our advances in variety development to offer the highest quality flowers available. Because CBD is not listed in the federal Controlled Substances Act—despite the recent cannabis news industry misreporting—and due to our status as a Section 7606 compliant producer of industrial hemp, we have the legal right to ship our hemp products to anyone in the United States. These same laws make it possible for companies to extract and market the compounds derived from our plant material across the US (and internationally as well, depending on the destination country), which opens up an enormous emerging market. We look forward to establishing supply contracts in 2017 with clients who are interested in participating in this emerging global industry.

We produced high CBD hemp at five separate farms in Oregon in 2016—all five passed Oregon’s Department of Agriculture THC compliance tests (results attached). If you have any questions about the content of this compliance package, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Seth Crawford, Ph.D.
Co-Founder
Jack Hempicine LLC
seth@jackhempicine.com

Photoperiod Sensitivity

Photoperiod Sensitivity

We have released 5 new varieties in our "Early" series this year that, if all of our research and previous breeding work are correct, will give farmers the ability to have weekly, staggered harvests from early September through mid-October. When paired with our 2 "late" varieties, this increases the usefulness of a farmer's drying space by a factor of 7 and spreads the workload out over a longer period.

Test seeds were germinated in November, confirmatory leaf ratio sample results will be arriving soon, targets for future selfing have been ID'd and set aside, and now we begin the photoperiod sensitivity trials--something I've been waiting to do for years!!!

Space is at a premium at our farm right now due to a massive push for seed production in time for June planting, so plant numbers will be lower than I had hoped (wanted to run a full greenhouse, but nope!). For this experiment, I am growing out 45 plants (9 of each variety) in 10 gallon pots; lighting provided by Gavita and photoperiod manipulation made possible with a cheap Atlas programmable timer (minute resolution, battery backup. It's simple and I have to change the program once a week, but it should work.

The varieties (in order of hypothesized finishing):

(1) Special Sauce x SMGO
(2) Therapy x SMGO
(3) AC/DC x SMGO
(4) BaOx x SMGO
(5) Otto II x SMGO

The experiment starts with 9 hours of darkness to simulate conditions at our field (Willamette Valley, OR) on July 23rd, 2017. Hours of darkness increase a couple minutes a day, to approximate nature.

picture.php

nice!

ever hear of lions tabernacle?

Have not--what kind of ratio? I looked it up and found 9%-14% CBD content...that sound right? If so, that's pretty consistent with what we produce from seed. Our early harvests this year were at 9% and later harvests were hitting 14% (average across thousands of plants from seed). We had reports from clients in S. Oregon that a few really late stands were averaging 18%...which is pretty ridiculous and I haven't seen test results that confirm it (just pictures to accompany claims--see below).

picture.php

Last edited:
What a beautiful shot of some fine looking Oregon high CBD hemp! Do you know what cultivar that is in the photo? Looks like Jackson County with those mountains in background.

Man do I miss living in Oregon. Spent 12 years in S.W. Oregon now I'm in cold ass Vermont.

Keep up the awesome breeding work and giving hemp the respect it deserves!!

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
holly shit this thread is a real gem. awesome project! much respect and thanks for sharing this adventure with us.

maybe we should do a hemp section here on ic, its a vast subject and very interesting.

You aren't missing much this winter, it has been pretty damn cold here! Good eye and thanks for the kind words; that was a client's farm in the Applegate valley. There are two varieties in that picture, our JH-1 (Special Sauce x Otto II) and JH-2 (AC/DC x Otto II). They had the most amazing mold resistance we have ever seen and proved their value in a wet, wet, wet fall.

Bradley_Danks

bdanks.com
Veteran
We have released 5 new varieties in our "Early" series this year that, if all of our research and previous breeding work are correct, will give farmers the ability to have weekly, staggered harvests from early September through mid-October. When paired with our 2 "late" varieties, this increases the usefulness of a farmer's drying space by a factor of 7 and spreads the workload out over a longer period.

Test seeds were germinated in November, confirmatory leaf ratio sample results will be arriving soon, targets for future selfing have been ID'd and set aside, and now we begin the photoperiod sensitivity trials--something I've been waiting to do for years!!!

Space is at a premium at our farm right now due to a massive push for seed production in time for June planting, so plant numbers will be lower than I had hoped (wanted to run a full greenhouse, but nope!). For this experiment, I am growing out 45 plants (9 of each variety) in 10 gallon pots; lighting provided by Gavita and photoperiod manipulation made possible with a cheap Atlas programmable timer (minute resolution, battery backup. It's simple and I have to change the program once a week, but it should work.

The varieties (in order of hypothesized finishing):

(1) Special Sauce x SMGO
(2) Therapy x SMGO
(3) AC/DC x SMGO
(4) BaOx x SMGO
(5) Otto II x SMGO

The experiment starts with 9 hours of darkness to simulate conditions at our field (Willamette Valley, OR) on July 23rd, 2017. Hours of darkness increase a couple minutes a day, to approximate nature.

View Image

I've been considering trying photoperiod testing trials for a few years now too. It always concerned me that factors like root restriction, different mediums, nutrients, light spectrum, environment, or other unknown factors could skew the results. It will be real interesting to see if your results indoors parallels your results outdoors this year!! Good luck :D

I've been considering trying photoperiod testing trials for a few years now too. It always concerned me that factors like root restriction, different mediums, nutrients, light spectrum, environment, or other unknown factors could skew the results. It will be real interesting to see if your results indoors parallels your results outdoors this year!! Good luck :D

Totally agree with all you wrote Bradley--the only true test will happen in the field next season. The first issue is (to me) the most important, since root restriction plays such a critical role in the flowering process. I'm transplanting the test plants from 3 gallon pots into 10 gallons to start, which I hope will reduce the impact of that variable. Time will tell!
We believe in what we are doing enough to have planned the drying of 60 acres according to the photoperiod sensitivity we ascribe to these lines and a colleague has committed to 150 acres for the same reason...definitely hope we are right! Hell of an experiment either way :).

Wanted to provide an update on this experiment but have been waiting on our lab (OG Analytical, Eugene) to return our early CBD:THC ratio tests. They shut down temporarily in early December to move to their new facilities, but it is taking much longer than anticipated. We were able to get our samples in last week, but Rodger said no results until next week. I'll post those as soon as we get them.

Due to space constraints, I had to scale back total numbers to 40--8 of each early variety. They were transplanted on 1/21/17 into 10 gallon pots. Their light cycle draw-down began on 1/25/17 @ 15:25 hours of light (simulating the 2nd week of July here).

Here they were last night:
picture.php

Aether

Any other growers participating / interested in Oregon's industrial hemp program? The program is pretty awesome. $500 cost to register as a grower. Counties and cities can't ban it. Federally legal due to the 2014 Farm Bill

Wow, haven't heard any noise about that federal legalization for industrial hemp. It's totally legal now to grow industrial hemp at the federal level?

Socio,
You're saying you fill a 20'x100' hoop house with females then spray them with sts while light depping then collect all the pollen from this hoop house to use on field crop?

To collect the pollen do you bend each branch into hash bag and shake it to collect?

Socio,
You're saying you fill a 20'x100' hoop house with females then spray them with sts while light depping then collect all the pollen from this hoop house to use on field crop?

To collect the pollen do you bend each branch into hash bag and shake it to collect?

It's for one of our summer projects this year using the auto flowering high CBD hemp lines we developed and tested last season. The plan is to run three 20x100 greenhouses full of our favorite female (pictured below--we all agree that it's the best smelling plant we've ever encountered), preserved and replicated via tissue culture, for outcrossing on a 100 acres worth of other CBD hemp autos we made (3 separate varieties). Have several different highly theoretical plans on large scale pollinating without males at the moment, but won't know what works until sometime next fall :).

picture.php

yortbogey

To Have More ... Desire Less
Veteran
watching, and taking notes... if only WA state would get on board... w/ the quickness....

Mukind

I had no idea something that could be labeled "industrial hemp" might have such beautiful flowers

And so much of it

Thanks for sharing