What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Coins are for more than buying bud!

Prof Sublime

Hard working pothead
Veteran
Anyone else check all their changes' dates. They might not be too old but, Ive found quaters, nickels, and pennies from the 40's.. Ive got plenty of collectable coins that I got from an uncle too. I really like coin collecting..

D

djam

i like silver eagles and bullion . silver and gold ...
I just got my son the state quarters proof set all fifty states .

doublejj

Veteran
Many uses!

Many uses!

I agree coins have many uses!

Like hash press!

Look closely you can see Jefferson's Monticello!

So when you coin collectors out there see 'dirty money' take a closer look!;)

Peace
doublejj

I've gotten into collecting random, not-so-valuable coins that I still treasure. I have an 1888 dollar coin, a 1943 steelie penny, various Canadian coins, wheattail pennies, etc.

NugsofScienceII

Another one here too!

Another one here too!

Yup, been collecting since I was a kid. Got more serious in my 20s with high grade and rare coins. I enjoy old US coins especially silver though I do collect moderns too. I guess my mind is easily charmed by shiny objects.:) Either that or it's a means to control my undiagnosed OCD.:xmasnut: I like to think coin collecting gives me a connection to the past. Maybe, it is the love of nostalgia. Coin collecting does have a plus side. It is probably one of the few hobbies where the assets do not depreciate. Granted, I collect for the love not the investment potential but it's a nice extra. I like to think that I could pass the collection to the next in the family like a family heirloom. However, the new generations seem to have little appreciation for coin collecting and I have no kids yet. Maybe, I got cart in front of the horse?:biglaugh: Fortunately, I have many nieces and nephews.
Wow, I miss posting here. I glad I finally got back. You guys/gals rock!-NoS

trichosaurus

*Stoned User*
Veteran
Collecting coins is a great hobby if you have some extra money and would like to invest in certified coins. Have been a collector of primarily us currency for about 6 years now. :)

Bicentennial Quarter

2007 Silver Eagle

got me quite a collection. if its silver or gold I must have it :D just picked up a decent 1917 type 1 standing liberty quarter off craigslist for cheap.

TripleDraw27

Veteran
coin collector here and bank roll hunter lol.

I focus strictly on MS dollars, minted from CC, almost have the full set. And Silver Tetradrachm and silver denarius. Marc Antony, J Caesar, Cleo 7, right now I am focusing on Attica-Athens, AR Tetradrachm, c.440-420 BC. And The Imperators and 12 Caesars, theres tons lol. But makes it fun to collect when you do it by theme in terms of ancients.
Anything that long ago is truly a time machine for me.

As far as bank roll hunting lol, every week I buy a box of pennies, gotta have my wheats lol. I usually buy a box of halves, and once in awhile ill buy boxes of nickels for war nickels. I usually have great results with buy boxes of dimes, I end up with a nice hand full of pre 64 and mercs.

I belong to this Numismatic forum and these guys go nuts...A few of the dudes on there buy roughly 14-15k worth of rolls. And some months they do very well in terms of the silver they attain. Its a pretty neat, kind of off-ish business. Its not like you lose money =)

I have tiny vending machine business, Im in hogs heaven with that too lol.
I love my silver lol

had no idea about this collector section!

I have about 9 of these silver tetradrachm, they are big, 17 grams. Many of these have a pmd, basically a crude mint mark across the Owls head, or sometimes holes in the cheek of Athena.

Attachments

• 57464q00.jpg
    57464q00.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 33

TripleDraw27

Veteran
As far as coin roll hunting, its good to know this guide.

Dollars

Silver:
1878-1921 Morgan (90% silver) 0.7735 troy oz silver per coin
1921-1935 Peace (90% silver) 0.7735 troy oz silver per coin
1971-1976 Eisenhower (40% silver) 0.3162 troy oz silver per coin
*not all Eisenhower (Ikes) are silver check the edge and if copper is showing it is clad.

Other keepers:
Eisenhower dollars often sell for a small premium over face value even if they are clad.
Key dates: ????
Proofs and silver proofs
Common error coins: ????

Halves
Generally consider the most productive coin to search for due to low circulation and high silver content.

Silver:
1964 and older (90% silver) 0.3617 troy oz silver per coin
1964 to 1970 (40% silver) 0.1479 troy oz silver per coin

Other keepers:
Low mintage: 2000 and newer
Proofs and silver proofs
Common error coins: ?????
???????

Quarters
Generally considered the least productive coin to search for due to high circulation and large modern date mintages.

Silver:
1964 and older (90% silver) 0.1808 troy oz silver per coin

Other keepers:
Many different sets that some consider collectable such as state quarters and the national park series.
Proofs and silver proofs
???????

Dimes

Silver:
1964 and older (90% silver) 0.0723 troy oz per coin

Other keepers:
Proofs and silver proofs
??????

Nickels

Silver:
1942-1945 war nickels (35% silver) 0.0563 troy oz silver per coin
Not all 1942’s will be silver. Look for the large mint mark on the reverse above the Monticello to confirm it is silver

Other keepers:
Buffalo nickels
Low mintage: 1938, 1939, 1950-D, 2009??
Proofs and silver proofs

Pennies

1859 to 1909 Indian head pennies
1909 to 1958 Wheat back pennies
1943 steel pennies
1981 and older have a high copper content. (0.0065 lbs of copper in 1 penny) At the time of this writing each penny contains 3 cents worth of copper. They are currently illegal to melt for the copper however many feel that will change in the future.
Low mintage: ????

Common abbreviations/expressions:

CWR – Customer Wrapped Roll
BWR – Bank Wrapped Roll
LCS – Local Coin Shop
Ender – A coin roll that has a valuable coin showing on the end of the roll
Bender – Ben Franklin half showing on the end of the roll
Wender – Walking liberty half showing on the end of the roll
Kender – 1964 Kennedy half showing on the end of the roll
Lil’ Kender – 40% silver Kennedy half showing on the end of the roll
Roosie – A silver Roosevelt dime
Merc – A mercury dime
Frankie – A Franklin Half dollar

What does a box of coins cost?

Halves - $500
Quarters - $500
Dimes - $250
Nickels - $100
Pennies - $25
*Each box of coins contains 50 rolls

Really good post above there. Covers all the bases. I've been collecting silver for the past couple years and lately started picking up silver eagles when I've got extra cash. Also have been going through my change and so far this past year have come up with five 40% kennedy half dollars and 4 pre '1964 90% silver dimes. Always is fun to score some silver unexpectedly!!

ogatec2

i collect silver eagles cause they are easy for a novice to understand..interested in general coin collecting but its easy to lose your shirt in any investment that is new so i am proceeding with extreme caution.

gingerale

Veteran
I got some Euros....soon to be a rarity....lol.

Also have three '23 silver dollars. '43, '44, and '45 Liberty dimes, in packaging. Lots of other assorted interesting coins and paper money from around the world. Ten Japanese pesos; the occupation currency of the Phillippines during WWII. A series 1953 $5 silver certificate. Four crisp new $2 bills; one series 1963 w/ red numbers; three 1976 w/ signing of Declaration mural on back. One Russian ruble, 1961. Three 1998 American Eagle silver dollars in packaging. 40 UAE dirhams. Two Kuwaiti dinar (worth about $6 USD.) 10 piastres from the Arab Republic of Egypt. Nothing particularly valuable, but some interesting history.

bentom187

Veteran
i have no idea what these are except they are 1943 ,they are kind of light 3.1g 3.3g and 3.4 im guessing the weight difference is from corrosion. do i have anything at all?

1943004.jpg

1943003.jpg

1943001.jpg

doublejj

Veteran
Coins test Positive for drugs!

Coins test Positive for drugs!

I read where most of our money tested positive for drugs.
I wonder if you realize that applies to coins too!lol!
I use a roll of nickles & a piece of plumbing pipe to make 'Nickle Pucks' from bubble hash.
Look close you can see Jeffersons Monticello!:tiphat:

doublejj
attachment.php

Attachments

• Hash nickle 5.jpg
    Hash nickle 5.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 43
  • Hash nickle 6.jpg
    Hash nickle 6.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 37
  • Hash nickle 2.jpg
    Hash nickle 2.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 46
  • Hash nickle 1.jpg
    Hash nickle 1.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 45
Hey ogatec2 , Probably a couple dollars for the mercury dime, unless it is a key date, but most likely a couple dollars.

Also love the hash coins above there! hell yea!

bentom187

Veteran
does anyone know about my 43's? i know they are not copper but somone stated somthing about steel ones,they might be steel im not sure.

gingerale

Veteran
Does a magnet attract them? If so...they are steel. If not...you should mail them to me for further inspection......lol