What's new

Hermaphrodite

G

.........a plant havin stamen and pistils in the same flower........

what is concidered a true herm?

is it a plant that has a few bananas, here and there,durin flower, most times at the end of flower.

is it a plant that produces male balls right from the get go.

or both? i see lots of growers callin a plant a hermie when they see a single banana in flowerin. myself, a herm plant, the whole plant produces bananas or male balls.

ive had both many times. plants that i keep sometimes, not all the time, they might toss a few nanners late. and ive had plants that theres no way you could keep up pickin the male flowers off. they just blow up.

just recently i recieved a clone, when first put into flower(room has a small light leak, intentional) right about the end of the stretch, she put out male balls, looked just like a regular male plant. culled that plant, and tryed the clone again in the same room, but it had time to acclimate to my spot, and in the same room she grew fine.

seems that quite a bit of the reported herm plants in seedlines are not actual hermie plants? gettin a plant dialed in, is also givin the plant time to adjust to your spots conditions. especially a clone from another growers enviorment to yours.

whats your thoughts?

CBF

Herbalistic

Herbal relaxation...
Veteran
Hola Cedarberry!!!

This is very intersting subject, I think it would be good thing if everybody classifies their strain hermafrodic using same criteria´s!

My opinion is that if plant throws couple nanners at the middle/end of the flowering she is herming (usually because of somekind of stress), if the whole plant is covered of maleflowers in top of / inside buds -> I consider it´s a "true" hermafrodic! Does this make any sense to you?

What is interesting, is that many of the Asian strains have hermafrodic qualities. Is it normal, that so many of them throw maleflowers, or is it because of stress? This is a subject, that I think needs more discussion.. Im talking about strains that reputable breeders said are 25 % pure male 25 % pure female 50 % hermafrodic. Is this a result of bad selections of many years? I dont think so, these Asian countries have grown mj for centuries and have wisdom considering their own landrace´s. Or is it because accidental pollunation? I quess we aint gonna never know for sure, but we still need discussion of this topic to understand our belowed plant better and to make somekind of general criteria/standard to classifie hermafrodics!

That was just my :2cents:

G

hey herb, i dont know if ya could classify um, as theres just so many different conditions that will cause a plant, or certain plants to produce male flowers.

lets take sourdeez for example, if grown under great conditions, you wont see a male flower, but a slight light leak and they flip. the plant has been decribed as hermie prone. is it a herm plant?

most times when outcrossed, that trait if ya can call it that, passes on.

thats what im tryin to get straight in my mind, if you see male flowers, no matter how many or what percentage of the buds, what stage of flower and such, its a herm plant plain and simple.

ive read where quite a few growers dont get to worked up over a few bananas late in flower, where they do no damage to your crop.

the rodelization(sp) tech used to produce fem beans. bananas late in flower are produced by a plant that hasnt been pollinated durin its flowerin cycle. seems theres some lines that wont do this and some that do.

would this be considered a hermie plant? seems its a survival mechinism, a reaction to not bein pollinated, so the plants trys to self, and make seed.

ive seen plants that will show bananas do to bein in to small of a pot. when reran in a larger pot they do fine. so if its your first run from beans, and you see the male flowers and say its a hermie. but if you reran from clone in a bigger pot and it was fine, it really isnt one, but induced from indoor growin conditions.

CBF

Salam Herbalistic, cedar..

I have one question, if you cause stress to a landraces, how they will be the resulting seeds?. Only in a landraces.

I classifie a hermafrodic plant at in two weeks of flowering, this is my way.

peace.

G

high guys! Well, to me a hermie is a plant that has a good many male flowers along with the female. Some strains (like my Strawberry Diesel) might have one or two male flowers on the entire plant at the end of flowering, myself I don't regard that as a hermie. My Chemdog D occasionaly does the same thing. My Panama Red cut has a tendency to get a few more male flowers and even produces a few seeds. I do think it's strain dependant as I grow about ten other strains and none of them ever have any balls. I did grow Reeferman's Odin's Hammer and that bitch was hermie for sure (wasn't great weed either). I think that strains from equatoral zones (Mexi's, Thai's, PR, etc) have a tendency to herm just from what I've grown. Really though, a few balls late in flower really doesn't affect anything in my opinion. The Chem D and Strawberry D never even produce any seeds and even though the Panama Red sits in the flower room for up to 20 weeks it hasn't pollinated any of my other strains even though it always gives me a few beans. When I see a picture of Strawberry Diesel posted and it has a nanner and everyone starts ragging on how it's a hermie I just laugh because Strawberry Diesel is great fucking weed and one stray nanner doesn't do a thing to change that.

Herbalistic

Herbal relaxation...
Veteran
I agree with Rudedude + these plants that produce occasional nanner at the end of the flowering are usually more psychoactive than strains that dont produce nanners!! I have go now, but let´s get back to the subject later!!

Very interesting thread/read Cedarberry :yes:

B

BeAn

^^The Floater Sativa threw out male flowers, due to cold temps.

^^The indy threw a single nana when i touched her against one of the bulbs.. :chin:

I scrapped um both and went with somthing new..

No hermies yet, only males are drpping pollen this year.

Bless..:rasta:

KillerQueen

Occasional nanners are not a big issue; I agree that hermaphrodites are plants that grow male flowers all over the plant.

Tom Hill

Veteran
Hi Cedarberry,

Intersexual plants produce flowers some of which are male, & some female, this is what we commonly & incorrectly refer to as hermaphrodites. A hermaphrodite would have a flower/s that are both male/female (within the same flower as opposed to male flower here female flower there). I've never seen a true hermaphrodite in cannabis though they may exist.

ganjalf

TomHill said:
Hi Cedarberry,

Intersexual plants produce flowers some of which are male, & some female, this is what we commonly & incorrectly refer to as hermaphrodites. A hermaphrodite would have a flower/s that are both male/female (within the same flower as opposed to male flower here female flower there). I've never seen a true hermaphrodite in cannabis though they may exist.

Ehh Ok?

Hermaphrodite is used in botany to describe a flower that has both staminate (male, pollen-producing) and carpelate (female, seed-producing) parts that are self fertile or self pollenizing.

Intersexuality is a term used to describe a person whose sex chromosomes, genitalia and/or secondary sex characteristics are determined to be neither exclusively male nor female. A person with intersex may have biological characteristics of both the male and female sexes.
From wiki

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
I don't understand why everyone refers to subdioecious or trioecious lines as intersexed. I think Sam may have started the trend in his post pushing the idea of true males and true females being the only plants worth keeping.

CBF everything you need to know about the nature of dioecious plants and hermorphadite plants is in this paper... sorry it's not easier to read...
http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=58992

Tom Hill

Veteran
A cannabis bud is not a single flower, it is a collection of many individual flowers. A hermaphrodite plant contains hermaphrodite flowers. A hermaphrodite flower is one where the individual flower is both staminate & pistillate. I doubt anyone here can show us a viable hermaphroditic cannabis flower? For trioecy or subdioecy to be correct there must be hermaphroditic flowers & there isn't with cannabis. Intersexed is most correct, plant world or otherwise in my opinion.

If Sam feels that way, mark me down for disagreeing- strongly. Too much would be lost.

Tom

Last edited:

truecannabliss

TrueCanna Genetics - Selection is art
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Cedarberry said:
seems that quite a bit of the reported herm plants in seedlines are not actual hermie plants? gettin a plant dialed in, is also givin the plant time to adjust to your spots conditions. especially a clone from another growers enviorment to yours.

whats your thoughts?

CBF

I agree 100%, many plants i've grown have thrown out a few before i got to know her properly and had them dialed.
Peace

Herbalistic

Herbal relaxation...
Veteran
TomHill said:
A cannabis bud is not a single flower, it is a collection of many individual flowers. A hermaphrodite plant contains hermaphrodite flowers. A hermaphrodite flower is one where the individual flower is both staminate & pistillate. I doubt anyone here can show us a viable hermaphroditic cannabis flower? For trioecy or subdioecy to be correct there must be hermaphroditic flowers & there isn't with cannabis. Intersexed is most correct, plant world or otherwise in my opinion.

If Sam feels that way, mark me down for disagreeing- strongly. Too much would be lost.

Tom

^^ I agree, like I said before, "female" plants that produce maleflowers are usually very potent. (at least in my experience) + The pollen that comes from these maleflowers is very often sterile and dont pollinate any femaleflowers!

Very interesting discussion people!

ps. thank you for the interesting link grat3fulhead!

Last edited:
P

pSi007

despite the fact that i do like some herb taht does have hermi traits, the bad part is that bananas dont have THC on them. so in a way, they are just extra fiber to inhale, which i believe sux asses. if you try to work with a hermi in breeding, try to get those off.

purp&kush

i found a seed in the best sour diesel i've ever had in a gram. i found 3 seeds in a 3.5 of some pretty good og kush. my questions are is the chem d family just hermed out meaning a quality that shows up frequently. 2 if i grow these out what should i expect???

KingRalph

just for the record...

banana cluster with pistils from a fat calyx on a plant from feminized seeds that was pushed too far with nutrients late in flower. a true male flower was never sprouted on the plant in its entire cycle.

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
KingRalph said:
just for the record...

banana cluster with pistils from a fat calyx on a plant from feminized seeds that was pushed too far with nutrients late in flower. a true male flower was never sprouted on the plant in its entire cycle.
Good one Ralph... I was going to say I've seen this before, but could find no old pics to back it up... I've watched those sprout out of calyx before, over the course of a couple of days, surronded by pistild and nothing resembling a male flower other than the stamen themselves...

Species that produce discrete male and female flowers on the same plant are actually monoecious, then, still not intersexed... there are correct terms we can use in these discussions so that our definitions will all match, and we can be sure which expression we are talking about. It seems like intersexed is being used by different people as a broad term for several different specific reproductive situations...

Latest posts

Latest posts