What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

House caught fire

shithawk420

Veteran
Recently my house caught fire and my insurance recently ran out . its pretty bad and I'm lucky to have a temporary place to stay as of now.anyway I was wondering if anyone went through something similar and might have advise.im absolutely penniless literally.i called Red Cross and they promised to call back but nothing.if anyone could recommend some resources my dog and I would greatly appreciate it.thanks

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

GoFundMe.......

or

talk to your local mobile home dealers, one of 'em might
have a unit needing a lot of work, it's a cheap way to start.

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
First of all I'm so sorry to hear about the fire. Losing everything is not something anyone should have to go through. My wife when she was young lost her father in a house fire. Absolute nightmare. Glad you and your dog are safe.

GoFundMe with a detailed account of what you are going through maybe someone can help. Wish I wasn't having issues myself or I'd send some cash. Hang in there!

kaochiu

Veteran
Sorry to hear that. From the other side of the pond, can't give you practical directions, hope the given suggestions help you there. Hate seeing a fellow from this site going through bad moments. If you've got to start from zero, only way's up. Good places to stay and a source of income are out there and you'll find yours. Best luck.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Wow, sorry to hear it. :( The good news is you both lived and you can move forward. My wife and I have lost everything a few times now, and always seem to have a place and plenty of junk again 6 months later. I have hope you'll work it out. :)

Churches are a good suggestion. You should have a food bank in your area, possibly a few. Call 411 (edit: sorry, 211 *facepalm*) and see what other services are available in your area as well.

shithawk420

Veteran
Thanks for all of the advice guys.ill try churches and salvation army if I can get a ride.i figure so many people on GoFundMe are either fake or they need the money more than me.

But thanks alot guys.ill try salvation army first but my county is so small I'm not sure their is a salvation army.y

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
Good luck shithawk, my Sister just got evicted and became homeless, lots of folks living on the edge and it doesn't take much to push 'em over. Hopefully you can engage with Social Services.:tiphat:

Green Squall

Is it a total loss? Were you at least able to salvage any of your possessions? Most importantly you and the pooch are ok. Salvation Army and Red Cross sound like a good idea. I often here of the Red Cross on the news, helping displaced families due to fires. Be persistent and keep on their ass.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
420giveaway
Call the county and see if they have a good pantry.

Food pantry is a great start. I had to use my county's food pantry about 5 years ago. They were VERY helpful. They offered lots of other services and had connections to many different programs. They even had dog food.

Internet is going to be your best tool. Many sites out there where people post items for free. Usually you have to pick items up, but explain your situation.
Good luck.

Bobby Boucher

Smile.

Sounds like fucked up advice, but people just throw money at you when you smile.

I've lived out of cars, offices, attics, treehouses, you name it. People respond really well to an upbeat attitude, especially coming from someone down on his luck. The world is your oyster when you play off of other peoples need to be around positive people.

Also, theres nothing wrong with living out of a car if you do it right. Indoor life ain't all that. Propane stove top, cheap solar panel to power your nintendo, little pressurized water tank you can refill at a buddies, a 2 gallon gamma seal to poop in.. shit like this makes all the difference.

And never let your chin down in company. Theres no quicker way to dissuade them from helping you. As long as you are smiling, things will turn around in a timely fashion. Call it manipulative, er sociopathic, whatever. It works wonders. I've easily grossed 100k dollars worth of help over the years just by acting likable. I would consider myself impervious to homelessness at this point. Just be nice. Really nice.

DJXX

Veteran
any church with a pantry will usually have the whole help system in operation...call several...they will help for sure...Salvation Army and Red Cross too...best of luck...DJXX

U

useless.gardens

im on month 15 after loosing EVERYTHING i own.

definitely not an easy ride.

while im not keen on the advice you've been given, if only as a long term solution to the problem, im caught at "insurance ran out".

rather than get into details, lets say im university educated, super legal savvy, and put my insurance company in a position to pay out $175k.

now. did all that $ make it into my hands?

nope.

however, i was able after 5 or 6 months into the process get my first payout.

got the last payout recently & even took the claim, as i feel im not be brought back to whole, the objective in a situation like that, to an adjudicator to review the #s in case.

my state has a process for the above. its "goverMental" for sure.

nevertheless, PM me with your specific living arrangement & the type of insurance you had.

if i can help you, ill need to see the expired policy.

dates are gonna matter.
proof is going to matter. (proof : police reports, fire people report, pics, paperwork, id, & more)

the idea no matter what is : that proof & data can be used several ways : you can maybe force the insurance co, you can make claim for faulty wiring, you can push against the landlord if that was the living arrangement, you can use data (pics for example) to prove to people at the salvation army, church, social services, internet funding sites. you can use data for an insurance claim or for a lawyer. you can use data to make a free website to get out there your situation. and more.

i empathize.

& real shit, struggling but on the way UP for sure, remember this is a NO QUIT game, if i can help you... definitely will.

you definitely need a phone & internet service. you need a PO box or an addy (which you still have if the house was your and the mailbox is there). you need data and proof. you need to have identification, birth cert, and ss card. you need a place to stay & grub.

you love your dog then use that to your advantage cause everybody loves animals -unless you're an asshole fuckwad.

you might try to find foster (temp) care for the doggy.

i cant remember, its called the blue cross or something like that.

for sure, help with the dog, use craigslist too !!! and of course for free shit.

you seem to have a transportation issue.
explain that to us all please.

ow and outreach stuff too. they can help you. like bring the help to you. SNAP (for you id suspect food stamps about 125 to 180 per month & maybe cash assistance & even medical coverage) you qualify for this very second ...& that would be at your county assistance office which i could get you the tele# for in 6 secs if i knew your location. you might be able to get set up on the phone with a case worker i bet. you'll need the EBT card so a ride to pick it up (or even apply in person) or have it mailed.

i can link you the application or mail it you you to fill out and send in old school (which is great cause you created more paperwork proof).

what state are you in? we need to know.

if you need a device, i can send you an RCA tablet. nearly brand new. works perfect. running android 6.0 i think. but still you can download apps to write & more !!! plus it has a keyboard (legit) & a cheesy 2mp camera but fuck that you can download pic enhancers too. probably could even download an app to get an internet phone # & voicemail which will help with any state processes and more.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts