What's new

Male-Female contribution to cannabis DNA

Treevly

I had always assumed that the male and females each made more-or-less half the contribution to the DNA of the child; however, I read a post to the effect that the female contribution is in fact about 75%. I had not heard that before, and have not the foggiest idea whether it's true of not. Could someone here clarify? Thank you.

CannaZen

Okay So the genes are split in half between both parents to create the offspring and males and females each only carry separate sexual chromosomes unique to their gender so, Some of the characteristics such as calyx and male pollen sack size appear to be correlated together but the sexual chromosomes responsible for the sex are mutually exclusive together from each seed as a dioecious species. Not sure if flower size is in the sexual chromosome section of the genes or not but it would not seem so.

You know, i think its interesting the function of that mode of reproduction in organisms having their reproductive separate parts organized on separate individuals rather than one single individual as an organism, trying to weigh the correlation of the curve path with the genes that they may take in re-version, myself. I wonder. apparently distance serves a purpose as a dioecious species, it has advantages genetically to do it that way it would seem. We have sensimilla.

Last edited:

resin_lung

I cough up honey oil
Veteran
HYB - The haploid chromosome set from the 'dad' is no different than the haploid set that comes from a sexually reversed SISTER of the 'dad', with the exception of a Y chromosome, which does not have a homologous chromosome to meet back up with during fertilization.

There are NO genes in males that contribute EXCLUSIVELY to FEMALE PHENOTYPE.

Last edited:

NeWcS

Great info here. Thanks for posting that, CZ

Okay So the genes are split in half between both parents to create the offspring and males and females each only carry separate sexual chromosomes unique to their gender so, Some of the characteristics such as calyx and male pollen sack size appear to be correlated together but the sexual chromosomes responsible for the sex are mutually exclusive together from each seed as a dioecious species. Not sure if flower size is in the sexual chromosome section of the genes or not but it would not seem so.

You know, i think its interesting the function of that mode of reproduction in organisms having their reproductive separate parts organized on separate individuals rather than one single individual as an organism, trying to weigh the correlation of the curve path with the genes that they may take in re-version, myself. I wonder. apparently distance serves a purpose as a dioecious species, it has advantages genetically to do it that way it would seem. We have sensimilla.

troutman

Seed Whore
Some may say they are equal. I suspect some traits are easier to fix with either the male or female.
Like I'm guessing males are more responsible for maturity dates and females are more responsible for
yields. Until you try it out there's no way to know for sure. I don't remember seeing any studies on
maternal and paternal plant genetics. Time to Google again. lol