What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Dry sift V Water hash Q&A

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hello all...
Old techs but I've some questions.

The first being....
Why did we go from dry seiving to water methods of making hash?

I mean...
Using a 5 gallon bucket & matching 120 micron bag, dry seiving is much more effecient!
In the same amount of time that it takes to make about an ounce water hash, the very same person can seive about 8oz of dry sift.

Is it the capacity to have your hash already graded that makes water hash desirable?

Another friend says he likes water hash over dry sift. This same person doesn't care about flavor or effects, just potency.

Is water hash, somehow, more potent than dry sift?
And if so... WHY?

If you've got questions, please ask.
If you've got answers, please share.
:tiphat:

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
One suggestion would be to check out the Hashish thread at the top of this thread. The hash experts are more likely to notice your question there.

I personally think choice between the two is a matter of opinion.

I've done them both and like them both, though do prefer dry kif. Primarily because it has better aromatics and flavor.

G

Gr33nSanta

one of the reason is that here on the West Coast it's really hard to make drysift, relative humidity is high most of the year and when it's dry it's very hot ... I ve given up on drysift because I get way better results with water. If I lived somewhere dry, I might chose drysift over water.

mack 10

Veteran
why did we change? good promotion I spose,
at the time waterhash was new,
basically its all good.
just different methods for diff situations.

EsterEssence

Veteran
I live on the west coast at 4500 ft elevation, in the hash making months, November to February, it gets below freezing with sometimes single digit rh. this is when I tumble, and make the kief, the best of the kief I make into rosin the other gets soaked in ethanol. Instead of rosin you can clean the kief to a high content of resin heads using the parchment on a dvd case. Which I think is far superior to any bubble hash.

H

HaHaHashish

Where I live it's humid or very humid all year and always dry sift so I dry material slowly later use a dehumidifier for a few days to make sure the material is dry before sifting. Then I dry sift with the A/C on.

Limeygreen

Veteran
I have seen people put their dry sift screens in the freezer as well as material in the freezer prior to dry sifting as well, not sure on the time to do it, I would imagine you still need a cool place after to avoid condensation.

H

HaHaHashish

I have seen people put their dry sift screens in the freezer as well as material in the freezer prior to dry sifting as well, not sure on the time to do it, I would imagine you still need a cool place after to avoid condensation.

Yes, if you can't sift in the freezer then you will need to move the frozen plant material to a cold, dry room for sifting. If you freeze the plant material, take it out into a room with normal RH 65%+ and temps in the 70's then the material will quickly thaw (in 20 seconds or so), become moist and so will become unsuitable for sifting and impossible to re-sift using multiple stacked screens.

Happy Sifting!

H

HaHaHashish

You can place a wooden screen box (like one of the RYOT boxes that have one or two layers of mesh) half filled with resiny trim or ground up bud in the freezer for a few hours. When you take it out of the freezer you really need to immediately vigorously shake the box for 20 seconds (remove the dry sifted resin from the bottom catching plate) then place it back in the freezer for another hour or so then repeat a few times yielding less sift each time.

H

HaHaHashish

The best tip for dry sifting is to use aged plant material, test the humidity with a hygrometer to make sure the environment is dry enough for sifting and use a magnifying glass to monitor the plant material before, during and after sifting as well as to check out the the resulting sift as it passes through the meshes.

Easy7

Veteran
Sift yields less if the same quality of water hash. Sift alao takes more time. Cannabis cowboy pisted years ago pics of pressed mixture of sift/ice hash.

It comes down to material used and how beat up it gets, to what green gets in the hash. Fresh plant water hash shouldn't get as much plant material. A gentle sift won't either but the yield will be less than fresh plant ice hash.

Many people choose oil because of yield and potency/flavor. The hashish forum is darn slow these days....shame too.

false

In my experience dry sift is more flavourful and has more perfume than waterthash but its not as potent . I much prefer water hash myself

H

HaHaHashish

Ice water hash is definitely has higher, headier effects, very frontal cerebral but with that altitude, there is I feel, a slight lack of complexity to the high but with clean dry sift made from the same plant, there's an added 'layer" to the high. I like dry sift best, but I really like ice water hash too, but I just don't make it anymore.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
In my experience dry sift is more flavourful and has more perfume than waterthash but its not as potent.

My experiences are similar.
The question is why.

Why is water hash more potent?

WHAT does the water extract, in addition to trichchomes, that increases the potency of the water hash over dry sift?

We're obviously bringing some water solubules into the mix but what are they?

Are ALL of a plants terpines contained within the trichomes?

Ringodoggie

Premium user
I believe that a lot of it depends on how you process the hash after it's collected.

If you press and roll it like Frenchy Canoli does, it smashes all the trichs and blends them all together. This is definitely going to taste different than just smoking dry sift.

Like someone a few posts up said, it's mostly a matter of choice. My choice is ice water hash.

Either way, I always press and roll and fold and press and roll and fold and press and roll and fold. LOL To me, this is what makes it taste like the old fashion hash I smoked in the 60's.

I did a comparison a couple years back on the 2 methods and sold myself on water. Here are a couple pics from those experiments. I love the 'fudge' I get from ice water. LOL One is ice and one is sift. I use a 3 screen method on sift (140/105/70) and 3 bags for bubble (120/70/45). I soft card the screened on 2'x3' screens to get a nice separation but I still can't seem to get that nice full melt bubble from dry sift.

You can see in the pics how the dry sift just stays a little more 'grainier' and never gets that nice 'fudge' consistency. I'm sure some have better luck with dry sift than I.

Attachments

• icehash-3.jpg
    icehash-3.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 72
  • sifthash-2.jpg
    sifthash-2.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 64

mack 10

Veteran
Just needs a slight cleaning.
Try static tech (parchment round DVD case)cleaning your sift.

Dry sift made with the right screens will out perform nearly everything
(for my tastes). But
Everything has its place.
Just depends on your needs at the time.

H

HaHaHashish

Why is water hash more potent?

It is when it's purer, it's not as potent when it's not as pure.