What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Pine Tar Kush: Grow-along and hopefully make some seeds!

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
looks lovely Lean! i like that 'velvet' type quality to the resin coverage. I also see similarities to bubba, the leaflet shape, the bud structure and the stripey purpling on the leaves are all similar, but not exactly the same. how does she smell? also was this a selected clone?

sifted, tbh, the stem rub isnt something i'm often able to smell much on other than a generic 'weed plant' type smell.. but i will say that these ptk dont have the sweetness that you can smell on most young plants. not savory either, perhaps a bit more woody or leathery.

VG

Lean Green

Operating Outside the Law
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Not really a selected clone. Her greasy/silky resin smells just like fresh Georgia pine needles. Her tight structure, and low yield are the only things keeping me from calling her a keeper. I'm picky though... other growers would probably choose to keep this one.
My style keepers are the clone I posted in Drows thread about PTK. More of a slight yeasty note to those types. Larger yields but at the price of having slightly milder scents. I have a clone of my style keeper in the veg room and hope to self it soon, so I can see if she throws more of her type.

Scent wise though, once you've smelt this strain you can smell it anywhere, outcrosses too.

Also, I just dropped 9-D's, 2-A's and 5C's into cups of coco this morning! I'll try to catch up to you and I don't know, maybe dry some pollen out for a trip across the pond

Last edited:

siftedunity

cant re Member
Veteran
looks lovely Lean! i like that 'velvet' type quality to the resin coverage. I also see similarities to bubba, the leaflet shape, the bud structure and the stripey purpling on the leaves are all similar, but not exactly the same. how does she smell? also was this a selected clone?

sifted, tbh, the stem rub isnt something i'm often able to smell much on other than a generic 'weed plant' type smell.. but i will say that these ptk dont have the sweetness that you can smell on most young plants. not savory either, perhaps a bit more woody or leathery.

VG
Yeah I know what you mean.. I've had a few berry strains that you could easily guess would be sweet from a veg stem rub. But many just have that generic thing. But I'm thinking leathery/sounds promising! Can't wait to see how they pan out for you vg..

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
sounds great Lean! i would love to get as much diversity as i can, and i will probably make seeds over 2 rounds if i manage to take clones. they look like the type of plant where the seed yield will be quite low.
Pine needles sounds delicious, i have a strong evocative memory of sitting next to my camper van in France, having camped in the shade of some pine trees - the smell of the pine first thing in the morning was amazing... and i can remember drinking coffee and that smelling awesome too. maybe a PTK bubba cross can combine those two scents?
only one way to find out!

sifted, thanks, i love trying new strains!

VG

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
thanks all, here are some pics of the plants from today just before i topped them all

the A's (there is one smaller A not pictured which i repotted today)
picture.php
picture.php

the B's - i should have removed the fading power leaves before taking the pics!
picture.php

picture.php

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey all, quick update. plants were repotted today after a slow recovery from topping. i now have cuts off half of them and should get some off the rest with luck.
these hashplant types do not really appreciate topping and do better left as is - but without some cuttings to back them up i would be foolish to flower them as i dont know how many good females i will get. apparently intersex traits can show in mid flowering so some plants may not be any good for making seeds. with cuttings i can bulk up the good ones.
VG

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
hey all, quick update. plants were repotted today after a slow recovery from topping. i now have cuts off half of them and should get some off the rest with luck.
these hashplant types do not really appreciate topping and do better left as is - but without some cuttings to back them up i would be foolish to flower them as i dont know how many good females i will get. apparently intersex traits can show in mid flowering so some plants may not be any good for making seeds. with cuttings i can bulk up the good ones.
VG

That's the rub. With these wide leaf types long veg
time is the trade off for their fruits.

How many watts do you veg versus flower anyway,
and at what schedule on/off, I wonder

Good to know you take the time to make back ups,
hate growing stuff to only be surprised later at the
intersex or crap phenos.

Better for you to do the work now than to make
the cross quickly with iffy plants.

Thanks for caring, It's hard on you, so its easy on us.

Good stuff.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
thanks guys and girls!

DC, i vegged these under a low wattage LED, which the plants like but it is fairly slow - which suited my logistics this time round as i was waiting for space in other cabs to become available. also i think chronological age is one factor in getting them to show sex.
because it is not a very bright light, i vegged under 24 hours light - to maximise the anount of light hitting the plant - but all things being equal i prefer to give plants a dark period of 4-5 hours if i can.
now they are under a bright LED at 16/8 for a week to boost up the veg and then i will flip to 12/12 and i hope to sex them fairly soon after that.
it is worth noting also that topping will delay them showing sex because you are removing the area of the plant with the most hormones!

VG

siftedunity

cant re Member
Veteran
the hormones are produced in the stems buds and roots, so when you remove the top, the hormones produced in tips will just be produced in the lower tips/stems instead.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
thats true sifted, but it does tend to slow the sexing process down a bit.

plants have grown pretty quickly since moving them into a bigger space - i will flip them at the weekend i think.

VG

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
ok, after a week or so at 12/12, it's looking like 5 girls and 3 boys, which is cool