What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

A good way of collecting and storing pollen

bozga

Does anyone know for how long can I store pollen on a room temperature? I don't have my own fridge so I can't keep the pollen in the fridge.. :S

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Does anyone know for how long can I store pollen on a room temperature? I don't have my own fridge so I can't keep the pollen in the fridge.. :S
As long as it is dry, dark and cool it should last for years when dried properly. Room temp, completely dry, I would guess at least a few months.

I use toasted flour, made in a dry frying pan on the stove. :) Small foil bindles, double folded on all sides, work great for storing pollen with a few grains of rice. I place my packets inside a thermos for additional thermal shock protection and keep them in the freezer. I've used packets from a few years ago and they're still definitely viable. :D

Adding 50-100x your pollen amount in toasted flour adds additional moisture and thermal shock protection, while also diluting it out so you're not wasting it when pollinating. :)

Good stuff!!

White Beard

Questions, if you please

The toasted flour: how dark do you let it go? Does it cake up on you when it cools?
When combining with pollen, any special steps / preferred method for mixing?

Do you not fry the rice as well? Have you tried a popcorn kernel? (UN-popped, of course)

G

I know it's super lazy but a while ago I put a bunch of male flowers in a container straight into the freezer as I didn't know any better. Anyone ever tried this? Was it still active when you used it? I don't expect good results just curious. Thanks

Latest posts

Latest posts