What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

A good way of collecting and storing pollen

vicious bee

This is a cut and past from the autoflower thread. It works good for me so I thought I'd put it here. I have pollen stored like this for a year in the frig. that is still good.
Some points to remember. You must remove all vegetative matter. It holds moisture. Big no no. Use super dried wheat flower and rice. I tested artifical desiccants and they did no better. Seal up in a mason jar so no moisture can get to it. I keep in the frig.. I have no idea how long it will last outside the frig.. I've been told that it will last for years if put in the freezer.
Someone was asking about pollination and here's some tricks that seem to work for me.
1st here's some males that are crowded together with pollen catchers at their bases. The pollen catchers are made of wax paper, drinking straws with the accordion type bending on one end, a small clothes line type clip, and clear packing tape to tape the whole mess together.
picture.php

I first use a mirror and bending the plants over the mirror shake them. Collecting the pollen on the mirror.
picture.php

Below you see pollen and flowers collected in the pollen catcher and the little clip that holds up one side.
picture.php

I unclip one side and use a small artist brush to brush all the flowers off the wax paper onto the mirror which is held below.
picture.php

This shows it with the mirror placed below the wax paper.
picture.php

Here's the back of the pollen catcher. It has 5 straws. Two in front and two in back. I'll get to the fifth in a moment. Notice the wax paper is at an angle tilted to the front so that the pollen falls out when you need it to.
picture.php

Here's the fifth straw. It's in between the front two straws but offset to one side. It holds up the clip. Without it the wax paper sags and will not catch your pollen.
picture.php

Next picture is the fifth straw with the clip. See how it holds up the clip?
picture.php

Now all the pollen is shaken off the plants and the catcher cleaned of pollen and flowers. Scrap it all in a pile. The flowers and pollen are all mixed up on the mirror.
picture.php

You have to separate the pollen from the flowers. I use a 200 mesh piece of stainless steel screen that I bought from Small Parts. They sell small quantitys of all kinds of neat stuff. Here's the flowers and pollen scooped up and placed on the mesh screen.
picture.php

I use the artist brush to move the flowers around and brush the pollen through the screen mesh. I then raise all the edges of the screen kind of like a tea bag holds tea. I give the mesh sharp little taps to dislodge the last of the pollen. Here's the cleaned pollen.
picture.php

I store it in little test tubes I bought on ebay. I read a lot about storing seeds, pollen, etc. and the main thing seems to be getting it as dry as possible. I did a lot of searching and testing. I found the simplest way to dry is to use wheat flower and rice. I put rice and wheat flower in small jelly mason jars. I then put the jars in a toaster oven on very low temp. Maybe 125 Deg. F or less. You don't want to burn the wheat flower or rice. I leave it for about five days then put the top on the mason jars to keep moisture out. I did a test with all kinds of desiccants in mason jars and good old dried rice and wheat flower did great. I put two small humidity meters in the jars for several days with the rice and wheat flour and they read below 4% humidity. I read, I can't remember if it was D.J. Short or who, about thinning pollen with wheat flower. I thought using it to dry it out at the same time might be a good idea. I add about 100% or more wheat flower to my pollen in the test tubes. If I'm not using the pollen right away I add the wheat flower and rice immediately to the pollen. I then roll the test tube around until the flower and pollen are thoroughly mixed. I then store in the frig. .To use the pollen later I just dip the artist brush into the test tube and paint the buds.(EDIT) Make sure you store the test tubes in a mason jar. On some the caps were loose and the pollen was ruined. I now put dried rice in a mason jar then place the capped test tubes in the mason jars.
(EDIT) This next part about using water to deactivate pollen may not always work. I now pollinate the bottom. Then cover the bud with a sandwich baggie then pollinate the bud above etc... I'm not sure about this I did mix a few seeds up and I'm not sure if I mixed some or watering down the bud failed. Probably better to use the baggies. Also before removing the baggies. Start at the last pollinated spot. (Remember the others are still covered with baggies) Wet with spray bottle. Shake off water, then remove baggie below, wet with spray bottle, shake off water ...repeat... etc..
Another idea, I can't remember if I thought this up or someone else did, is to pollinate one plant with multiple strains of pollen. Tap water deactivates pollen. When you pollinate a plant you want to separate it for a day or so then spray the plant with water so the pollen on it will be deactivated. This will keep the pollen off of your other plants. I use this to selectively pollinate separate branches. I like to plan and pollinate the bottom branches first. He's an example. I had a Short Term Amnesia female. I pollinated the bottom branches with a male Ducksfoot. I waited a few days then pollinated the upper buds with STA male pollen. To keep STA pollen off of the Ducksfoot pollinated branches I sprayed tap water with a hand held sprayer on the buds I pollinated with Ducksfoot pollen. That way any pollen falling on the Duck pollinated buds would be inactivated.
One other thing. I use a lot of straws to prop up my males. They don't have a fan on them so they never become very strong and have a tendency to fall over. Here's a picture.
picture.php

See the straw below? That's where the plant started leaning over. I taped straws to it to support it. Above the straw is where it fell over from me shaking the pollen off. Here's a picture where i used packing tap to tape it back up straight.
picture.php

Maybe this will help you out a little. I don't claim it's the best way or even the right way but it works well for me. One last picture. This is a Short Term Amnesia male. Look at the resin on this male flower. I've been collecting all my STA pollen and mixing it but this ones going to have to be separated. It's smells divine. Like Juicy Fruit chewing gum. A month ago I finally used the last of it's pollen on a super good looking STA. I originally made the thread on 03-26-2010. The pollen is still good after all this time.
picture.php

That's an interesting pollen catcher. Aside from that, my methods are very similar. My pollen is still viable after 3 years in the fridge. It will be interesting to see how long it will keep.

Strapped

you leave the wheat flower and rice in the oven for 5 days, is that correct? Leaving the oven on right?

vicious bee

you leave the wheat flower and rice in the oven for 5 days, is that correct? Leaving the oven on right?
Correct. Maybe longer. I used a small toaster oven. Not the big in wall kind. Got it from a Salvation Army outlet $5. The idea is to remove almost all of the water. Five days is probably overdoing it but you want as much of the water as possible out. I bet you could actually get most of the water out in 8 hours in an oven but in five days you know it's going to be about as dry as you can get it..

dasher65

Mate, that's a brilliant thread. With all the femmed seeds available it's making the males that much more important for genetic diversity. Well done

G

googolsack

Hello, i don't quite understand your directions to dry the wheat flour? You don't leave the wheat in the oven for 5 days do you?
Also is it really necessary to oven dry the flour, can you just leave it in the sun?
Thanks anyway

vicious bee

I used a small toaster oven. Maybe 1 foot x 7-8 inches high. Turned on low. I don't know the exact temp. 125 DEG F ? I had a oven thermometer in the oven that started at about 225 and it didn't read at all so it was less than 225F. I did leave it in for 5 days. Not sure if this was necessary but after five days you know it's dry. I assume drying in the Sun would work but I haven't tried it. Using a flood light or other incandescent in an enclosed metal box would probably work. The general idea is that the flour should be VERY dry. I just covered how I did it. I'm sure there's many other ways. I just happened to have the oven.

CannaBunkerMan

Enormous Member
Veteran
i have never had pollen last over a year. great post

me neither

Hello, i don't quite understand your directions to dry the wheat flour? You don't leave the wheat in the oven for 5 days do you?
Also is it really necessary to oven dry the flour, can you just leave it in the sun?
Thanks anyway

5 days? That's nuts. A few hours should be enough. It's important that the moisture content of the flour be less than that of the air. Moisture kills pollen quick. You could also use dessicant, like in drying mushrooms. Put a few inches of damp-rid in a bowl that has a tight sealing top. Put your pollen in a piece of paper, then fold it up. Tape the pollen packet to the inside of the lid, and seal.

vicious bee

...5 days? That's nuts...
Notice I said numerous times it was probably overkill. Maybe it's nuts but I have pollen over a year old that works. You do have to use a little more pollen but it works. I pollinated a Ducksfoot this month that the pollen is over a year old and it's finishing seeds now. The goal is not to get the moisture below the moisture in the ait. It's to all the moisture out you can. From reading about storing seeds and pollen it needs to be below 7% humidity. That's low. I tested this in jars with super dried rice and flour and this mark was met.

SOTF420

Humble Human, Freedom Fighter, Cannabis Lover, Bre
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I fold pollen up in a little open ended square parchment paper bundle as nothing sticks to it (get parchment not wax paper) and put the pollen in a big jar with a giant oversized pack of silica dessicant in a warm dark place for a day or two to dry fully to dust consistency. Then it goes into little paper coin envelopes just a little pollen in each for individual uses. These get vacuum sealed with the meal saver heavy duty plastic bag material around them, then that goes into freezer bags inside a jar which is put in the fridge for a day or so & then transitions into the freezer. Don't forget to label and date your pollen! :canabis:

Nice thread dude, keep making seeds! :good:

vicious bee

One thing you have to remember is standard silica desiccant has an equilibrium humidity that is, can't remember exactly, but some where around 25%. See the chart on this page.
http://www.sorbentsystems.com/desiccants_charts.html
and here
http://www.sorbentsystems.com/desiccants_terminology.html

For example if you mix absorbent polyacrylate crystals with a mixture of 50% propylene glycol and 50% water the humidity will have an equilibrium of 70%. Nice for curing weed. See here about 75% of the way down the page:
http://www.drymistat.com/techn.html

badtrip

its possible to use rice to keep out the Moisture?i would like to store pollen maximum for one month its possible?

vicious bee

Yes. Go back and read the first part of the post. Rice directly from the store no drying should be fine for a few months as long as it's in an air tight container placed in a frig.

sunnydog

Drip King
Veteran
Cool...............

Cool...............

Excellent work,V.B.
Thank You.

I use rice in jars in the fridge, for seeds. They keep for MANY years.
I was unaware pollen was so robust, though.
Have you grow out any/ many plants fathered this way?
I will make good use of this, thanks again.:thank you:

SD:tiphat:

Hoots

Great advice:thank you:

Hope to collect pollen outside for the first time this year and hadn't realized how long it could be stored for which opens up all sort of possibility's, so cheers for that.