What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Inbreeding.....the Skill of the Breeder.....

G

OK, this was a good read. And great humour. Now, a question.

First, the background.

Strain A is a Sativa. It has

Undesirable traits...

1. Lanky
2. All Hermaphrodites
3. Tastes like petrol

and highly desirable traits

4. The strongest longest Sativa I've had in 25 years
5. All Female seeds
6. Barely smells

Strain B is Indica. They have

Undesirable traits...

7. Auto Flowering too soon for size I want
8. Stink up the place

and highly desirable traits

9. Dense Growth
10. VERY Strong
11. Taste really nice.

So. On my wish list is to create a cannabis strain with only the desirable traits of the strains. I have about 100 seeds of the two crossed.

Now, the biggest limiting factor to do this is time, and then space. And then knowledge...

So I've grown out a seed to see what would happen, it was a non hermie non auto flowering tall fat girl that tastes like petrol but kicks serious ass so it's almost all aces -
what do I do now? Some of my other seeds will do this, what do I do when I get another great one?
How many seeds should I grow out/would I need to grow out, before selecting the next generations 'Eve'.

What do I breed Eve with? The original strains? A brother seed plant? With all female seed genes in the Mum a boy may be hard to find.

5 out of 5 females so far. got 4 more young ones in. No hermies, touch wood, 4 to finish flowering still. One auto flowerer.

I can only do a wee bit at a time but I'll be doing it for many years so advice at this point would be gold. The Strain will be called Barbary, after the first Mum with almost all desirable traits - stems were tough as a Barbary hedge. Not going to be a 'training strain'. :confused:

Latitude18

just a lil humor for the topic

just a lil humor for the topic

Many, many years ago when I was just twenty-three,

I was married to a widow, she was pretty as could be.

This widow had a grown-up daughter who had hair of red

And my father fell in Love with her. Soon they too were wed.

This made my dad my son-in-law--changed my very life!

My daughter was my mother because she was my father's wife!

To complicate the matter even though it brought me joy,

I soon became the father of a bouncing baby boy.

My little baby he then became a brother-in-law to Dad.

Well, that made him my uncle--made me very sad!

Because if he was my uncle then he also was a brother

To the widow's grown-up daughter, who, of course, was my stepmother.

My father's wife then had a son who kept them on the run.

And, of course, he became my grandchild because he was my daughter's son.

My wife is now my mother's mother and this makes me blue

Because although she is my wife, she's my grandmother too!

Now if my wife is my grandmother, well, then I am her grandchild,

And every time that I think about this, it nearly drives me wild!

Because now I have become the strangest case that you ever saw

As husband of my grandmother, I’m my own grandpa!

facelift

This is the money you could be saving if you grow
Veteran
Even though it off topic,

The Mitochondrial Eve theory is crap. It's based on several crosses of ideas to keep the sperate ideas from becoming taboo. Sound familiar?

1. Mitochondrial Eve is based on the Biblical Eve for the sake of keeping the values of God creating Man viable.

2. A single female, like the big bang gives up the impression that everything begain at an instance, and even supports a single land mass in the begining.

3. Finally, "All Men Are Created Equal". Wouldn't having the same mother tend to make everyone think that men are indeed equal?

It's obvious that life began is several places and at different times, and not from a single catastophic event.

ANYWAYS, back to the topic,

I enjoys the post. Great info...

How can a person tell which plant is the "Best" of the strain, or is about to mutate if another backcross is performed?

I'm assuming that a 10 pack of seeds will produce a male and female, and that crossing those two creates an inbred plant of the same strain that is the 2nd generation and may have issues.

A backcross is crossing the new seed with a seed from the original 10 pack.

And crossing 2 plants from the 1st batch of seed I create makes up the 3rd generation.

Let me know where I went wrong, or if I'm headin in the right direction....

I can't wait toget started......

antarchy

So I guess sustaining a mother and father for your breeding is a way to keep a preferred strain alive. I don't have room to keep mothers and fathers alive for all my crosses hopefully someday I will find a way to legally grow and have a large space. Oh how I want to move to Amsterdam.

Dozee

mutation are bad some time but good other times. I say imbreed to perfection then out breed and inbreed. YIN yang

gobik

flora different from fauna

flora different from fauna

Few things to point out :
Dwarfism… gigantism
OUT-CROSSING: can prevent a breed from stagnating by introducing fresh genes into the gene pool.
To improve a variety/strain or breed tremendously to produce excellent quality plants or even animals... ...On the other hand, excessive inbreeding can limit the gene pool so that the breed loses any vigour what-so-ever.
…same principles apply to cannabis breeding

I quote that “plants are fundamentally different from animals its not that far of a stretch to think that inbreeding plants will have different results that inbreeding animals.” I believe that the author of this thread was not up to date in zoology as flora and fauna are totally dissimilar and they can’t be compared or even discussed by profanes.

G

hello i have a question maybee you can answer i have a boggle gum x kali-mist that is a male...he was about 10 days maybee 15 flowering...i chopped him yesterday..but i saved the top of the plant with sacs on it...i put it in a glass of water(window seal method)....my question is will the cutting continue to flower and give me pollen ...or will it re-veg...sorry i didnt want to start a whole thread over this question...peace

TGT

Tom 'Green' Thumb
Veteran
If you keep the light cycle on 12/12 it should at least release it's pollen. I would think if under 24 or even 18 it will not. I remember a couple years ago I cut a male down and put it in water under the same light schedule and she released her pollen and I was able to use it. This hapened about three or four days after cutting - seemed to be right on time. I don't have experience with leaving her under 24 or even 18 so I am not sure about that part. Hopefully someone else can shed more light on the subject.

TGT

The Bling

GMT said:
The differences between Africans, Europeans and Asians is down to inbreeding. Which one is messed up? Remember that all humans are decended from the same female human, some inbreeding created us all. And no I'm not talking about bible stuff, it has been shown through the DNA samples taken from all over the world that we all had a common female ancestor, they named her Eve due to obvious biblical similarities.
actually there were 33

Frogger

Rodriguez said:
i always thought too much inbreeding has had its faults across all species, human,plant and animal alike, heck i know some towns where half the populus is inbred and its f*cking scary what mess comes of it. but in plants is there a safe amount of times to inbreed or backcross before it starts messing things up?
Were are these small towns :confused:sound like a fun place to spread my seed…:yoinks: lol :sasmokin:

Pactivist

So...in my particular little breeding project I have so far: crossed a male SAGE with my best Sensi Star female. I have grown out 5 of the seeds from that union, and I plan on backcrossing any male with his mother. I still have both parents and I plan on budding out any females from this (who knows?). So I guess my question would be -- How many times would it be safe to backcross? I would like to produce seed as close to SS as possible, but I don't want to end up with sickly offspring. thanks
pacT

karibee

very good info about inbreeding. does anyone knows if for example you have 4 compeletly different strains, lets say afghani,low ryder,haze and skunk, you make all possible crosses, you take the best 50-60 plants from the offspring line and then you start inbreeding,. . . does that help to avoid some risks of inbreeding because you start with 4 different plants? i m trying to do something like that, i start 4 years ago, it goes slow cause i do only outdoors, but i can say it is starting to give some good results now. i m new to the site, please inform me if i post that in wrong thread, thanks

Ograz

Most loss-of-function mutations are recessive

is that mean we have less % desirable traits ?

SkUnKyBrEwStEr

I recently came across a few clones.after leaving under a 24 hr cycle, I noticed a sprout.but,my q? is...The sprout only has one leaf and the clone has three..coud that sprout once in change of cycle produce a good quanity of alfalfa...