What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Collecting, Storing, and Mailing Pollen

BUDOGHI

Great info my last back cross was a failure pollen was 6 mo. old in fridge with desiccant in film containers. The pollen looked great but not a single fuckin seed.

onegreenday

Veteran
collect male pollen sacks

collect male pollen sacks

If I snip and collect male pollen flowers before they open (just the sac)
will they open later?

Or is it best to wait till they are opening and collect the pollen sac then?
thanks.

Big Beans

Beans Means Highns
ICMag Donor
I've had a white diesel male and sour diesel male both from the same hobby breeder, go sterile, they were definite males but didn't produce any pollen.
I wanted to throw some pollen at my gorgeous white Diesel in flower right now, and also hit a BlueWidow, I love widow crosses :) but will have to wait for my Magic Merlin and Oriental express, to show sex as they are the next plants that will hopefully give me some viable pollen, If anyone likes the sound of those two let me know, and we can swap pollen in a couple of months :)

G

Green Love

If I snip and collect male pollen flowers before they open (just the sac)
will they open later?

Or is it best to wait till they are opening and collect the pollen sac then?
thanks.

Nope. I've never seen the sac's open on their own. Cutting a branch covered with sac's, then putting the branch in the vase of water will get some of those sac's to open up.

Best to wait.

melvin2

I have used male cuttings in a cup of water before the flowers opened, and small rooted male clones in the same size cup with potting mix. All my males were kept small with several small branches and never yielding much.

I got some pollen from a branch sitting in a glass of water but it was a small amount and not every flower released its load before it died off. For that reason, I have switched to using male clones in 3oz cups (also used for the water method) slightly leaning over a glass pane for pollen collection.

In my case, a small, potted male clone takes up the same amount of space as a branch in a cup of water and produces pollen throughout its flowering period giving much more pollen. An added benefit is you can keep your male in veg and only flower the cuts.

MrDanky

i currently have a male plant that has a couple flowers that have opened up naturally, and a couple that havent opened up yet. i took my fingers to a couple of the bananas and squeezed them and got powder on my fingers which i am assuming is pollen. Question is this: will that pollen be viable? thanks in advance for any advice...

MR Danky

onegreenday

Veteran
I've had a white diesel male and sour diesel male both from the same hobby breeder, go sterile, they were definite males but didn't produce any pollen.
I wanted to throw some pollen at my gorgeous white Diesel in flower right now, and also hit a BlueWidow, I love widow crosses :) but will have to wait for my Magic Merlin and Oriental express, to show sex as they are the next plants that will hopefully give me some viable pollen, If anyone likes the sound of those two let me know, and we can swap pollen in a couple of months :)

I had 2 Sadhu males both opened but only 1 produced pollen
the other was empty nothing came out.

I never heard of that.

What's that from?

thanks.

Kanye WeED

real good write up hope it works im counting on it ALOT

tap the pollen out onto paper, put in a glass jar with a moisture indicator for a few days or until dry

than put into a film storage thingy or a test tube vial thing than put in the freezer

lotta work but well worth it

i will try this than pollinate to see if it works if soo hell yea

is the pollen ready straight out of the freezer??

M

MicroDude

Anybody know where to buy the orange silica? The blue has cancer causing agents in it id like to stay away from.

M

MicroDude

If anybody knows a brick and mortar store where they sell the blue silica that would be helpful also. I am sure they would also carry the orange kind.

onegreenday

Veteran
tHANKS md ambrosia

tHANKS md ambrosia

I almost smoked that stuff once. the silica gel
got in the seed pack & I was cleaning the seeds when
I noticed the little gel flecks..........

So if you have cats make sure there's no cobalt blue
in there cause your cat will fill the air when scratching.

I stored some pollen & used it today.

when you pour that stuff out a dust clouds can
puff up; very fine like talcum;
so it can easily go in your lungs without a mask.

Thanks for the big health tip.

Wonder what they'll find in the orange stuff.

Here is the MSDS http://www.jtbaker.com/msds/englishhtml/c4928.htm

When I smoke I do inhale. So id rather not roll the dice with this one. Anybody use the orange indicating silica know where I can buy it from a brick and mortar store? Michaels craft store only had some silica sand. Not very practical.

BudZad7

6 Month old Pollen!!!

6 Month old Pollen!!!

Hi All!:wave: Kool Info from you'll.... A business card had OG Kush S-1 pollen on
it, that was left on a window sill for 6 months in the open air still in the little bananas......used it on a Grapefruit X Haze female 5 weeks into flowering on a
lower bud, so it's 8 weeks now,soooo we shall see if it worked!!!! Here's a pic of the bud area....

Attachments

• 100_3628.jpg
    100_3628.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 30
  • 100_3631.jpg
    100_3631.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 29