What's new

Trinidadian landrace

oceangrownkush

Veteran
I have made a friend recently from the island nation of Trinidad, he'll be getting me a bag of seeds from their locally cultivated Sativa when he visits in the coming months.

I'm assuming it will be full of hermies as prohibition has deteriorated this line (farmers unable to get to patches quickly enough to do much meaningful selection), he tells me the herb there is terrible lol, but I have hope that there is potential for killer sativa bud if the seeds make it to me in a relative life of California luxury.

Anyone have experience with Cannabis in Trinidad? Any idea what these old local beans might be? Surely some South American sativa adapted over so many generations?

ahortator

Veteran
Hi

This is what Wikipedia tells about Trinidad Island:

As of the 2011 Trinidad and Tobago Census, the population was 34.22% East Indian, 35.43% African, 7.66% Mixed - African and East Indian, and 15.16% Mixed - Other. Venezuela has also had a great impact on Trinidad's culture, such as introducing the music style parang to the island.

So you can expect that the Cannabis genetic makeup could be mainly the same as Jamaican and other Caribbean Islands, if genetic pollution from modern hybrids is not established yet there.

On the other hand, it is near Venezuela:

Venezuelan

There was some fine Venezuelan herb available briefly in the mid-1970’s for between $50 to $70 an ounce. It was sort of like the better commercial Colombian or Mexican of the day, but it was a bright yellowish color and not as tightly bricked, making the buds fluffier than most other bricked shipments.

The smoke was sweet, then spicy on the exhale ? evidence of a good cure. The head was also a bit more pleasant than the more commercial varieties.

Unfortunately, I was never able to grow any of the many seeds available from the Venezuelan. I remain curious as to how they would fare both indoor and out.

But I think that it could be more related to East Indian strains than Venezuela.

Grow as many as you can and select the best for making seed. Even if your friend told you it is terrible, try to judge by yourself. Perhaps you have a rare gem in your hands.

Good luck and greetings

oceangrownkush

Veteran
Hi

This is what Wikipedia tells about Trinidad Island:

So you can expect that the Cannabis genetic makeup could be mainly the same as Jamaican and other Caribbean Islands, if genetic pollution from modern hybrids is not established yet there.

On the other hand, it is near Venezuela:

But I think that it could be more related to East Indian strains than Venezuela.

Grow as many as you can and select the best for making seed. Even if your friend told you it is terrible, try to judge by yourself. Perhaps you have a rare gem in your hands.

Good luck and greetings

I like where your heads at. Who knows, hopefully its some flame. It is 2016 so I wouldn't doubt its some internet bought strain thats been acclimated for so many generations. He is older and said its the Sativa they have always gotten out there, I take that to mean its a landrace Sativa but I could totally be wrong, might be a "landrace" Dutch Skunk at this point for all I know lol!!

hellfire

It could be watered down a bit, especially if its commercially produced. With proper care and selection you might find the keeper you're looking for.

Best of luck.

shaman369

Hey ocean I know this is a old thread but just wanted to see how this went. Did you ever get anything good? I'm curious, I'm from Trinidad and would be interested in a project like this. I live in the u.s. now but I visit often and have access to herb and some knowledge of the weed scene there. I always thought about doing something like your doing.

therevverend

Veteran
When I was in high school a friend's parents were old rich hippies. Great people, they owned land on Tobago. That's where you want to source seeds from, he always said it was the land of ganja and everyone grew. Everyone smokes and is cool. I know his hippy parents were growing amazing stuff. I regret not taking the opportunity to spend time on their property getting to know the islanders. Always go with the smaller, less populated island. A lot of Indians there and they brought the strains with them from India. It's sad but not surprising the commercial stuff on Trinny is degraded from prohibition and the good old strains are lost. Going strain hunting on Tabago would be awesome.

shaman369

interesting rev i would have to look into that . tobago might be a good place to start because of prohibition and raids they are doing now its very hard in Trinidad for growers, plus most stuff are commercial lines from the states sold as high grade and very expensive in the main citys anyway. back then in the 90's we used to get two kinds local and compressed from far away most likely st Vincent or neighboring islands and it was cheap i used to get plastic shopping bags for like $5 us now that will only get you couple grams.

shaman369

the local was the fire tho. i got two local kinds one was green long stick buds look like thai sticks and other was golden brown stringy almost schwaggy looking but they both were fire sativas.

shaman369

Yeah I'm aware of the progress of the decriminalization I been keeping up with it. The Rastas in trini are wanting full legalization as it should be but yah know how tings go...

houndog

A friend of mine in the early 70s gave me a couple of joints; the smoke was from Trinidad and tasted like mint.

island boi 868

Hey guys, Im a trini boy myself and still live here. i will be pretty interested in something like this. with the new laws things are a bit easier and hoping to see our local strain's full potential. I got some seeds from a grade which seemed pretty similar to what this Lambs breath / bread was described to be.got 2 plants flowering.one indoor and one outdoors.

island boi 868

I have made a friend recently from the island nation of Trinidad, he'll be getting me a bag of seeds from their locally cultivated Sativa when he visits in the coming months.

I'm assuming it will be full of hermies as prohibition has deteriorated this line (farmers unable to get to patches quickly enough to do much meaningful selection), he tells me the herb there is terrible lol, but I have hope that there is potential for killer sativa bud if the seeds make it to me in a relative life of California luxury.

Anyone have experience with Cannabis in Trinidad? Any idea what these old local beans might be? Surely some South American sativa adapted over so many generations?

how did this ever turn out?

regseeds

I like where your heads at. Who knows, hopefully its some flame. It is 2016 so I wouldn't doubt its some internet bought strain thats been acclimated for so many generations. He is older and said its the Sativa they have always gotten out there, I take that to mean its a landrace Sativa but I could totally be wrong, might be a "landrace" Dutch Skunk at this point for all I know lol!!

Having been around the Windward Islands 20+ times, i would say it's likely another south american strain. I'm not saying the quality is great either

but 1000% difference from Jamaica

Hempy McNoodle

I recall an interview with Bodhi from Bodhi Seeds saying that the most potent high he ever felt was from a Trinidadian plant. I think he said it was a landrace.

TexasTea

Curious Cannivore
Veteran
This is an old thread, but...

Back in 1992 I had the rare opportunity to spend 10 days in the rain forest of Trinidad. My uncle was a scientist doing some studies down there and I got to tag along on one of his trips....he owned 20 acres of land in a remote mountain location. After driving for an hour and hiking steep trails for another two, we arrived in a pristine forested area. It was amazing, freshwater crayfish the size of lobsters, land crabs the size of dinner plates scuttling around, and incredible numbers of biting insects.

There was a squatter nearby who lived in an open air lean to. A rastaman who made his living off the forest. One night I asked him if I could try his ganja! My uncle is straight as an arrow and I could tell he was unsure, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask. Sure enough, Papa Shay reaches up on a shelf under the tin roof and pulls out some crumbly branches. It was thin scraggly buds, but I got quite high. Definitely heirloom sativa.

Next day I bought a bag from him and it was heavily seeded. I didn't even grow back then but somehow I knew I needed those seeds. I actually smuggled them home, but have no idea what happened to them unfortunately, and I never got the chance to grow them out.
​​​​​​

TexasTea

Curious Cannivore
Veteran
Trinidad 1992. Damn, I was a skinny little fucker back then. :D My biologist uncle with a characteristic pose...Papa Shay and his family...and one out of focus, but obviously sativa, bud.

Click image for larger version  Name:	img093.jpg Views:	0 Size:	110.0 KB ID:	18060242
Click image for larger version  Name:	img094.jpg Views:	0 Size:	111.5 KB ID:	18060243
Click image for larger version  Name:	img095.jpg Views:	0 Size:	125.2 KB ID:	18060244
Click image for larger version  Name:	img096.jpg Views:	0 Size:	109.6 KB ID:	18060245