What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

New Brothers Grimm C99 and 630w CMH, in dwc!!!

Thorn: shop around for brothers Grimm gear. Prices seem to vary and selection as well. My recommendation is seedsherenow. Awesome selection of top shelf genetics and the prices are competitive.

Farely:
That's a nice looking Cindy you got there! Looks like she is going to need some branch support! Don't be fooled by the internodal spacing, them buds will swell up and bend branches... what type and watt light you got her under? How does she smell?

Crash:
Thanks! C99 has been a fun grow. She surpassed my expectations and refused to cooperate. I like my ladies sassy ��

So this next run through the bloom room things will be switched up a bit. I will be giving low pressure aeroponics a swing. I'll probably be building some DIY table and lid. This will allow me to customize layout and a few other things I want to tinker with things vs buying eb and flow tables and trying to make them work. I also plan on using a scrog net this time. So all plants in a single table with a single common resivoir. I am also going to try running a sterile resivoir. New challenges await! The idea this time is to better utilize the 5x5 space. It was painful looking at all the wasted space in the last grow. Oh and the scrog net is going to be height asjustable.

Once tangerine kush is dry I'll post weights from all 4 plants.Testing for potency will be done by a lab and results will be posted as well. The only plant I won't have a solid number on weight wise is c99 #5 as I harvested her colas and made fresh frozen big with her. Testing on her will probably be low as well since I only have some b grade buds left of her. We shall see what the lab has to say!

Harvest weigh in:
12.53oz A grade total
8.24oz B grade and trim
20.77oz total weight
.84 grams per watt

So initial smoke report.... tester smoked half a bowl of c99 #3 then took 3 rips of #4. Tasting notes of #3 were fruity musk and velvety smooth with no coughing. #4 had an up front fruity taste that was a little floral, and smooth as well. Here's where it gets interesting. Tester compared effects to local hero cut of OG kush. It was giggles up front and couch lock within the hour. I was told it was a 4 hour ride and was extremely enjoyable. So only thing I can think is the sativa energy may still be there in smaller doses, or these phenos are indica leaning... FYI she was harvested with cloudy tricomes and very little Amber. The tester is a seasoned pro, and was shocked that it didn't take much to get laid out like that. So needless to say, I'll call this a victory. I wish I could share her with y'all!

So here is how the dried and cured turned out. I only ran 6 cans of 320ml through it. There should be a fair amount still left to extract. My guess is second run will be in the 8 to 10% range. This run is stable. Semi pliable at room temp and will snap when bent back and forth. It's perfect for handling! If at refrigirator temp.... shatters like glass and super brittle.

picture.php

LostTribe

Premium user
So here is how the dried and cured turned out. I only ran 6 cans of 320ml through it. There should be a fair amount still left to extract. My guess is second run will be in the 8 to 10% range. This run is stable. Semi pliable at room temp and will snap when bent back and forth. It's perfect for handling! If at refrigirator temp.... shatters like glass and super brittle.

View Image

sure looks tasty!

Been busy packing and moving. Either this week or next c99 #3 ,#4, and tangerine kush will be lab tested. Last round of testing tangerine kush came in at 17.77% total thc and 1.21 total terpenes. That was under 750w of DE hps.

Overall I've been impressed with the vigor, density, canopy temps, and plant reaction to the DE cmh. As a grower the high cri is pleasant to work under. Not having to run my vent fan as hard to deal with as much heat means less noise and less power draw as well. Overall I view the 630w DE setup to be competitive with my phantom 1000w DE dimmed to 750. The DE cmh is much better suited to run in a 2x4 tent. It will adequately cover a 5x5 depending on plant size, but not quite optimally. I never did rig up 2 630w over a 5x5 as I wanted to see how the single light would do. Now I've yet to run more than one bloom under the 630w DE cmh, but it seems like the plants develop faster under it vs DE hps. Last time I ran tangerine kush it took 9 weeks vs 8 weeks to see the start of Amber tricomes.

The next chapter of c99 will be putting the 5 clones I've got going into bloom as soon as I'm moved into the new house. They are currently a little over a foot tall. They are currently in dwc, and will be bloomed with low pressure aeroponics. I will start with retrofitted 27g totes and will move them to custom built tables once I get a chance to build them. The plastic flood and drain tables are available, but expensive. I think some custom tables can be built cheaper and work much better. Besides shop projects bring a certain satisfaction that you can't get any other way.

Anyhow there is more to come. Swing by later if you wanna see the lab results, and whatever kind of trouble I decide to stir up next.

Thanks for all the compliments on my bho y'all. It's taken a bit to get the process dialed in. We mainly use it for edibles, and a few lucky friends get to enjoy my shatter.

The move is mostly over with!!! This week I will be building the custom aeroponics tables. C99 #3, #4, and #5 are all about 22" tall. I've got 2 #3, 2 #4, and 1 #5 in a 6 gallon res at the moment. Them girls are drinking a few gallons of water a day! The idea is I'll build a 4x4 ish res for them and get them in bloom soon.

So 5 plants, one 5x5 area, a scrog net, DE cmh lighting, and a custom aeroponics setup. This is gonna be fun! The plan is for the aeroponics to be drain to waste with minimal run off. Let's see what kinda growth rates I can get with aeroponics!

So I've been up to my neck in pvc and construction materials. Most things are not cooperating. I tried building a custom table to try running low pressure aeroponics to waste. The table leaks a little and I under estimated how much fluid the spayers would flow. So drain to waste isn't going to happen. The 4x4 table will be removed from the tent and replaced with a 4x4 plastic flood and drain table that will be rigged up as recirculating aero. On the plus side, the spray manifold will fit the flood table with minimal trouble. The custom table will get reworked and refused later. I'll probably wind up using it as a bad ass aero cloning table. Once I iron out the kinks I'll post some pictures. As with most experiments, there is a lot to be learned from failing. Other issue I had to deal with is in floor radiant heat from the shop floor. Due to time constraints my 5 C99 girls went into dwc. Well shop floor slab took almost a week to come down after I dropped the thermostat. I finally have res temps under control, but the roots took a beating. Oh and the well water quality is less than ideal and I may have to get an ro setup to remove that variable as well. So my seedlings are doing reasonably well in aero and c99 is recovering in dwc. My fingers are crossed that things start going a little smoother in the grow tent soon.... I've had enough of Murphy messing with me here lately.*

On other news I finally got samples of c99 and tangerine kush off to the lab for testing. C99 #3, And #4 are getting tested for potency. Tangerine kush is getting tested for potency and for terp profile. I am curious to see how the tk does as it was run under de cmh this time vs de hps last time I got it tested. I'll post test results once I get them back next week. By all accounts both c99 and tk are potent and everyone who has tried them has no complaints.

Test results are in!
Tangerine kush came in at 18.23% thc and 1.30% on terps. This is a small improvement over the DE hps result of 17.77% the and 1.20% terps.

C99 #4 came in at 18.44% thc.

The winner and new reigning heavyweight in my garden is c99 #3! She came in at a whopping 19.38% thc!

On other fronts, I have the new recirculating aero table up and running and she is working great! The plants are busy throwing a bunch of new roots. Roots are growing out of the old ones and surprisingly a bunch are starting to poke out of the net pots! The gamble on running a sterile resivoir may well just pay off after all. My next little project will be building a diy aero cloner(home made ez cloner). After that I'll focus my attention high pressure aeroponics. Dwc was fun, but it's time to try new things and make new toys.

Nice work thus far

Nice work thus far

I was sleeping on the cindys at first, but late out the gate does not inherently translate to finishing in last place in terms of yield or quality. They sure seem To be teeming with flower development. But the tk is hard to beat for trich production having frosty calyxes at 3 weeks so cindys work is cut out if its going to catch up. Hope that the terps develop more for you. I know you didnt want to switch tents but this should be great for your bottom line.

Saitama, how certain do you feel that you did not fry your plants due to temperature? What bulb did you use at what distance? The intensity alone should not cause that effect, but instead the heat that comes with achieving that intensity. The meter he is using is accurate - he was much closer to canopy than typical de bulbs are able to achieve @ 12".

Are you familiar with the inverse square law?

"a specified physical quantity or intensity is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the source of that physical quantity"

What that means is twice the distance means 1/4 the intensity. So to achieve high intensity the source must be close. This usually means dangerous levels of heat at 12". However, 2 significant variables are at play here:

FF has great ambient temps, and he is using a lamp that produces less heat than de hps.

I find it interesting that you are doing a comparison of the 2 strains and gauging trichome and bud development. The TK should and will outdo the c99 and is like taking a knife to a gun fight. To be honest it isnt even a fair fight . The reason I say this is you are comparing a sativa dom strain to a indica dominant strain and indica lineages tend to be frostier with more resin production due to the fact they were typically hash plants. Bud structure will be denser and tighter as compared to a sativa dom strain that will form looser bud structure (typically) Sativas were landrace in some very humid enviros and they formed looser buds to survive getting bud rot in high humidity regions. And most sativas will lack in the frost/resin department as compared to indicas. But frost isnt a true indicator of a plants potency either as some of the best smoke I have had over 40 years of toking were sativas with no where near the frost levels you see on indica dom strains. Just my .2 cents But either way you are going to find even if the c99 doesnt compare to the TK in resin and bud density you are going to be blown away by its smoke. If you tend to be nervous and high anxiety by nature go easy with that gurl as she can and has been known to set you up with some noia if your not careful........

Great looking grow BTW and props to you on your skillz.

Do believe I will pull up a seat and hang out if you will have me. Peace

Jumpingcactus you are right, and welcome to the grow show! All are welcome, and input is appreciated. Normally it isn't a fair comparison between indica and sativa. In this case both plants are hybrids that lean sativa in growth structure. Both varieties finish around 50 to 60 days. Tangerine kush buds are a little more dense than c99. For a sativa hybrid c99 makes some pretty dense buds that are coated in tricomes. As far as smoke goes for both, well that's a little different. Tangerine kush in small doses is happy and a little stony. More than a few puffs and she is going to put you down. She also is fast acting. C99 on the other hand is super energetic and clear headed, with a slightly slower onset. Small doses she is quite friendly. Smoke a bowl and you get a nice hour or two of productivity, followed by a nice nap if you sit down. Tk smokes like she smells which is very citrus. C99 is more of a fruit inscence. I'm quite content with how both strains turned out. I have a bonsai mom of tangerine kush and I will be doing the same with c99 #3.

I will be doing some experiments with splicing here in the near future in order to keep a couple of strains on one mother plant. I feel this will be useful and fun to try. I also will be trying to bonsai c99#3 in hydro. The goal is to completely remove any kind of media from my garden.

Latest posts

Latest posts