What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Honduras sativa

MrFancyPlants

One of the females (H12, the shortest one) is having second thoughts about her sex expression.

CoXf8kT.jpg

These are the only ones I've found so far. What do you think? Considering that my main goal is preservation, are there any advantageous traits that may appear alongside early-stage hermaphroditism? I'm leaning towards playing it safe, composting the plant, and helping clean up the genetic pool that I have.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

MrFancyPlants

Some pictures of the males 30 days after the switch to flowering cycle.

H4 - this is the shortest of the males, with a unique smell that is - according to my partner - reminiscent of a "beach vacation, sunscreen lotion, and coconut." Flower structure seems phenotypically closer to H5 (the other "Mexican" male), but flower development is slower.

fGG3bzY.jpg

H5 - Farthest along in flower development, and has started shedding pollen. Flowering structure similar to to H4.

TExhuJi.jpg

H7 - The taller "Colombian" male.

WqvyAuu.jpg

H9 - The shorter Colombian-leaning male.

WytLCS8.jpg

Tangwena

Veteran
Hi all,

​​​​​​Long time ace grower here located in the tropics northern Australia.

Honduras F2 I made back in 2018. Greenhouse grown. This one gets big buds.

Hope everyone is well.

Any pics of the flowers finished? That looks so healthy.

madb

Any pics of the flowers finished? That looks so healthy.

Hi Tangwena,

That photo is from a current grow. I took the pic today. She's healthy alright. My raised garden bed in the green house is just a live worm farm that I started 2 years ago. I grew out an F2 last year I'll see if I can find the pics and post a couple. Thankyou for your kind words.

madb

Great finish on her and I wish you the best of luck to the current one..

Thanks Consolidated. Always learning or attempting 2 😅.

I have a Super Malawi Haze on the other side of it which I've put up in the SMH forum.

I've got high hopes for this year's grow so fingers toes and everything else crossed.....

My order of Auto Zamaldelica, Purple Pakistani Haze and Golden Tiger 3rd edition just arrived so I'm a bit excited lol.

Thanks for your kind words 👍

MexicanSun

Some pictures of the males 30 days after the switch to flowering cycle.

H4 - this is the shortest of the males, with a unique smell that is - according to my partner - reminiscent of a "beach vacation, sunscreen lotion, and coconut." Flower structure seems phenotypically closer to H5 (the other "Mexican" male), but flower development is slower.

H5 - Farthest along in flower development, and has started shedding pollen. Flowering structure similar to to H4.

H7 - The taller "Colombian" male.

H9 - The shorter Colombian-leaning male.

Hello, this is my first post I'm growing 6 Honduras outdoors in tropical Mexico, four are females and two are males (one is dark green, thick stemmed and smelly, the other is lime green, spindly with no smell and sper thin leaves since the start.

By now all 6 are either fully in flower or just starting to throw out pistils. One one female shares the exct characteristics of the lime green male described above (without a trace of purple anywhere and are extremely spindly and stretchy and have had the absolute thinnest of thin leaves since the very start, and no smell whatsoever).

The other plants are a darker green, with thicker stems and some vivid purple leaf stems. These purplish ones started off with broad leaves then got gradually thinner, and it seems to me that the more purple they are the more of a pungent (I want to say skunky) smell they give off.

Mr Fancy Plants I notice you confidently refer to Colombian vs Mexican phenos and I am also very interested in this distinction in the line, what should I look for, what criteria do you use to differentiate?

I'm thinking of crossing the super skinny lime green male with its similar female and dusting the remaining darker green/purplish females with the thick stemmed smelly male.

I would love to know what phenos I am dealing with if anyone can shed any light. I can upload photos later if necessary.

madb

Thats a light dep. setup, correct? looks pretty sweet.

Um I'm already light deprived over here 😅... Longest day here in my latitude is about 13.5 hours. I've got a bit of extra shadecloth across the front and side for privacy mate but it would contribute to light dep yes.

MrFancyPlants

Mr Fancy Plants I notice you confidently refer to Colombian vs Mexican phenos and I am also very interested in this distinction in the line, what should I look for, what criteria do you use to differentiate?

Haha, my confidence is partly inexperience, and partly wishful thinking:watchplant:

I need to post a few pics of my females to illustrate, but I've been using the following criteria, mainly:

- in veg, I label as "Mexican-leaning" plants that have a shorter stature and broader/shorter leaf blades.

- in flower, the differences in flower shape and rate of flower development become more apparent. The more "Mexican" plants are much faster, and flowers seem more tightly clustered, forming "balls" with prominent stigmas. I'll post some flower pics this evening after the lights go on.

I also need to note that this is all in the context of an open pollination in a large tent without separating the different phenotypes. So, flower development on slower-flowering females ("Colombians") is probably affected by early pollination from faster-flowering males ("Mexicans").

MexicanSun

Haha, my confidence is partly inexperience, and partly wishful thinking:watchplant:

I need to post a few pics of my females to illustrate, but I've been using the following criteria, mainly:

- in veg, I label as "Mexican-leaning" plants that have a shorter stature and broader/shorter leaf blades.

- in flower, the differences in flower shape and rate of flower development become more apparent. The more "Mexican" plants are much faster, and flowers seem more tightly clustered, forming "balls" with prominent stigmas. I'll post some flower pics this evening after the lights go on.

I also need to note that this is all in the context of an open pollination in a large tent without separating the different phenotypes. So, flower development on slower-flowering females ("Colombians") is probably affected by early pollination from faster-flowering males ("Mexicans").

Wow, that's great info thanks.

At least half of my six plants have some purple in the stems, one is almost neon violet. Ace's website seems to suggest that the purple stems are a characteristic found on the Colombian side of things, and also that these 'purple Colombian phenos' are Dubi's preference being stronger, more flavorful, and slightly more introspective even sedative, it's clear that they are the stinkiest Hs in my garden.
But being honest, if this means the other green phenos are lighter, clearer and more social but less tasty then I'm very interested in pursuing that side of things.

Have you had many purple stemmed plants, have you found them more on the Mex or Col side? Do your experiences match what appears on the Ace site? (I suspect their notes were made back during early development before the line had really been worked, I bought mine in 2019)

If denser and faster flowers and a chubbier structure are the Mexican traits then I seem to have a male that ticks all these boxes but my females are either lime green but tall, spindly and narrow leafed, or dense and fast flowering but with some purple. I guess what I'm wondering is whether the purple is as much of a factor as bud structure and leaf shape when determining between phenos of Honduras.

Also , are you doing open pollination in order to explore all the diversity within the Honduras pool? If so what combination of traits are you ideally hoping to find in the end?

Here are some photos to show what different looking plants came out of a 2019 pack on 6 Honduras regular. Photo 1: super skinny/spindly lime green female, small leaves, looks quite hazy?
Photo 2: chunky green male, big flowers
Photo 3: stinky and purple stemmed female

Attachments

• photo2031090.jpg
    photo2031090.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 49
  • photo2031092.jpg
    photo2031092.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 46
  • photo2031094.jpg
    photo2031094.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 48

MrFancyPlants

Have you had many purple stemmed plants, have you found them more on the Mex or Col side? Do your experiences match what appears on the Ace site? (I suspect their notes were made back during early development before the line had really been worked, I bought mine in 2019)

I would say that I am not seeing much purple stem, except on the Mexican-ish mother I had kept from my initial 3-seed test. TBH I attributed that to the difficulty of keeping a pure sativa mom under my crappy LEDs (compared to tropical sun they are, in fact, crappy). On the other hand, top surfaces of petioles do seem to turn purple pretty easily when directly under a strong light, but that is also true of all of the plants I grow.

If denser and faster flowers and a chubbier structure are the Mexican traits then I seem to have a male that ticks all these boxes but my females are either lime green but tall, spindly and narrow leafed, or dense and fast flowering but with some purple. I guess what I'm wondering is whether the purple is as much of a factor as bud structure and leaf shape when determining between phenos of Honduras.

Indeed, the best way to describe the phenotype breakdown of my little family is "fast and chubby" vs. "tall and spindly." I had one light/lime-green male, which was a fast/chubby plant. The purple has not been an obvious factor. What I have noticed, however, is that the one "tall and spindly" female is MUCH more sensitive to overfeeding. I managed to burn her pretty badly with some diluted Bokashi leachate:cuss:, even while the other plants powered through with little damage.

Also , are you doing open pollination in order to explore all the diversity within the Honduras pool? If so what combination of traits are you ideally hoping to find in the end?

I really liked my Mexican female. Really enjoy the smooth, happy, positive, and focused effect, as well as the pinene-forward terpene profile. If you look at it as "medicine for the mind" (to steal a phrase from a fellow member's sig), I haven't come across anything better - so far - for my own ADHD-addled neurochemistry. I'd like to hold on to this and maybe later explore how the Honduras stacks with something like an OTH.

Here are some photos to show what different looking plants came out of a 2019 pack on 6 Honduras regular. Photo 1: super skinny/spindly lime green female, small leaves, looks quite hazy?
Photo 2: chunky green male, big flowers
Photo 3: stinky and purple stemmed female

Looking great and healthy! What kind of lights are you growing under?

Example of the clearly "Mexican" females (I have two, the older mother and one fresh from seed):

xVrbseX.jpg

This is a side-by-side of my Mexican mother and a "Colombian" female that got burned:

x1PNY3m.jpg

From a slightly different angle:

gTnBBAE.jpg

Finally, I have another female that looked Mexican in veg but is really slow to flower, and her flower clusters look a little different either of the other two types. This may actually be the late-flowering pheno but I'll have to flower her sin semilla to say for sure. Here she is, again next to a more definitively Mexican plant:

aZOdPwP.jpg

Happy growing! :tiphat:

Attachments

• pu5Ohvk.jpg
    pu5Ohvk.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 30
  • YGznytp.jpg
    YGznytp.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 30
  • aZOdPwP.jpg
    aZOdPwP.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 26

MexicanSun

I would say that I am not seeing much purple stem, except on the Mexican-ish mother I had kept from my initial 3-seed test. TBH I attributed that to the difficulty of keeping a pure sativa mom under my crappy LEDs (compared to tropical sun they are, in fact, crappy). On the other hand, top surfaces of petioles do seem to turn purple pretty easily when directly under a strong light, but that is also true of all of the plants I grow.

Indeed, the best way to describe the phenotype breakdown of my little family is "fast and chubby" vs. "tall and spindly." I had one light/lime-green male, which was a fast/chubby plant. The purple has not been an obvious factor. What I have noticed, however, is that the one "tall and spindly" female is MUCH more sensitive to overfeeding. I managed to burn her pretty badly with some diluted Bokashi leachate:cuss:, even while the other plants powered through with little damage.

I really liked my Mexican female. Really enjoy the smooth, happy, positive, and focused effect, as well as the pinene-forward terpene profile. If you look at it as "medicine for the mind" (to steal a phrase from a fellow member's sig), I haven't come across anything better - so far - for my own ADHD-addled neurochemistry. I'd like to hold on to this and maybe later explore how the Honduras stacks with something like an OTH.

Looking great and healthy! What kind of lights are you growing under?

Example of the clearly "Mexican" females (I have two, the older mother and one fresh from seed):

xVrbseX.jpg

This is a side-by-side of my Mexican mother and a "Colombian" female that got burned:

x1PNY3m.jpg

From a slightly different angle:

gTnBBAE.jpg

Finally, I have another female that looked Mexican in veg but is really slow to flower, and her flower clusters look a little different either of the other two types. This may actually be the late-flowering pheno but I'll have to flower her sin semilla to say for sure. Here she is, again next to a more definitively Mexican plant:

aZOdPwP.jpg

Happy growing! :tiphat:

Fantastic, it's great to see someone else growing this line which along with the OTH that you mention seems to be a nice option for those seeking 70s style uplifting weed without the heaviness that comes with epic THC levels. BTW when you said about the upper surface of the petioles being purple that is exactly what I was doing a bad job of trying to describe, I have one plant with really strong coloring of this sort which is quite pretty but I wonder if it will translate into the flowers over the next weeks. To answer your question I dont grow under lights but under the sun here in Mexico, the only artificial light was a single energy saving light bulb above all the plants for the first month to stop early flowering. And I also seem to have a late/slow flowering green female pheno which happens to be the finicky one when it comes to feeding. Pollen from the two Honduras males was chucked selectively over Honduras, Zamaldelica and Taskenti Hashplant females and 5 days later seeds seem to be forming on the branches in question, whochbosbgood because those males are now chopped into a bucket water. More photos to come as flowers fatten. Peace out 😄

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi MrFancyPlants,

Sorry to see your Honduras male 12 became hermie, we only used sexually stable P1 parental plants to produce this P2 Honduras release, but since the line had some hermie tendecies in the original population it's difficult to fully eradicate hermie tendecies in one breeding step, especially when using many different parental plants to keep genetic diversity, some hermie tendencies could be still hidden although quite recessive, hopefully in 1-2 more generations hermie rates will be almost null.

Anyway, glad you found enough nice sexually firm females and males to continue with your preservation run. Final phenotypes (whether they are more green-yellow Mexican or more purple Colombian influenced) are better identified at the end of the cycle. Really happy to know Honduras effects helped you from a medical point of view, i9f you enjoy this kind of effects, you will also enjoy a lot other pure sativas of very clear uplifting effects like Ethiopian, Oldtimer's Haze and New Caledonia. Thanks for keep us updated with your progress!

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Welcome MexicanSun :) a pleasure to follow your Honduras grow and to have you among us!

As i commented to Mr fancy plants, you will identify better the phenotypes towards the end of the flowering.

Several purple males were used over mostly green Mexican leaning females, but also over a purple Colombian influenced female to produce this pure Honduras release, so it's possible to find mixed traits from the 2 main phenotypes during growth (like purple petioles, etc ...) but final veredict regarding phenotypes will be at the end.

Glad to hear you are also pollinating your Honduras to produce more pure stock, Zamaldelica x Honduras should be a great blend for those looking for eletric, energetic and trippy pure sativa effects ;)
To add a good Central American sativa to Zamaldelica's genepool (which is mainly African and Thai sativa) is a really interesting breeding route.