What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

OPINIONS WANTED...new to Vert, building 3 x 3 room.

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
I was hoping you were going to come back and update this! Looking very clean in there. I have no experience with any of those strains, so go with what you like.

311devon

Looks great. You got a lot of work done.
Its pretty much half of my room...except the slope is on the other side. I think you'll be very happy with it.

Personally, I'd go with the fewer # of plants. I've lowered my plant #'s every run. It will be much easier to manage, especially if you are working with a stretchy strain (which is best for these setups , imo). And even tho I don't proctice it myself, I'd suggest a monocrop.

Good Luck bro

Thanks for the compliment, means alot as your thread was the inspiration for this system. :respect:

So you would go with 4 girls as opposed to 6? I was leaning toward that. The wild thai stretches like crazy. Easily triple's in size, likely more than that. It does that in 20oz of media. Veg one of those in for a month and i guarantee it would do a full lap around the room easily. :whee:

As for monocroping it, I'm gonna stick to one strain on each base so i guess it will be a dual-crop kinda thing. There are pairings that will finish within a week of each other. (i think, never had to figure in veg time since i have a seperate micro cab to veg in for my micro sog). :thinking:

311devon

Scrog thread?

Scrog thread?

Can anyone point me to a good "how to scrog" thread? I think i've got the jist of it, but want to see something done by a scroggin' master.

R

Raw_Dog

Looking at this set-up the first thing that I am thinking is short-bushy plants... Can you buy 2 shelf kits from homedepot and line the walls and outer rail 18'' off the ground? use the floor with 4X4 = 16 1/2 gallon pots, another 18 can fit on the walls. 34 total. Use a short scrog plant, good luck homie... 34 X 1/4 ounce. 1/2 lbs of something like ChemD or (seed) Blue Satellite. Good Luck.

311devon

Looking at this set-up the first thing that I am thinking is short-bushy plants... Can you buy 2 shelf kits from homedepot and line the walls and outer rail 18'' off the ground? use the floor with 4X4 = 16 1/2 gallon pots, another 18 can fit on the walls. 34 total. Use a short scrog plant, good luck homie... 34 X 1/4 ounce. 1/2 lbs of something like ChemD or (seed) Blue Satellite. Good Luck.

Appreciate the input bro. The main reason for starting this was to minimize the plant numbers and the daily workload. I will be hand watering all of this along with the veg box where i clone and keep my bonsai mothers. Watering and scroggin 34 girls almost daily sounds is not enough decrease in workload to satisfy me, plus if i flower only 4 larger females at a time it will lower my plant numbers drasticly. I'm currently 50+ at all times. We're gonna give it a few runs with vscroged trees and see what happens. May add a second bulb later on. Once again, appreciate the thought, you gave me an idea about how i could convert this into mini- bobblepods........:thinkin:

311devon

The Girls Have Joined the Party!

The Girls Have Joined the Party!

Well everyone, i decided a couple days ago that it was time to launch this bitch! Temps are in the low 80's with lights on and low to mid 70's when off. Rh is stayin between 40% and 50%. May have to kill the central huey on the house once things get rockin in here. I've also added a chain so i can adjust the height of the light. It's been lowered about 12". I pickup a Philips CMH for $53 with shipping from lightingsupply.com, should be here tomorrow. :yes:

As for strains, after givin it a couple days, no requests appeared so I reached into my SOG's veg box and pulled out 4 girls. 3 Strawberry Cough's who had just finished rooting in and one Afghan Kush that had been veggin for a week. I put on my samauri face, whipped out my trusty box knife and liberated these ladies from their girdles, aka the Dew bottles. They are now stretching their legs in some "big enough" pots a buddy gave me filled with a 70/30 mix of coco/#3 perlite. I think they are about 3gal in size. Dont really care, they are big enough and free. :dance: Nutes will be provided using KISS at 6.5g/gal. Koolbloom powder added at 1.5g/gal for p/k boost once or twice at 3 weeks and then for the last two weeks before flush. The koolbloom has been a nice addition to my sog, gonna continue it here.

Here's a pic, color corrected as best i could, Afghan Kush at bottom right. This is after two days of 18/6. They are HAPPY! :dance013: :dance013: :dance013:

One of the Strawberry Cough's is from a different mother. They showed little difference between phenos in my sog, wonder if well see the same thing here? They stretch about as much as my hazes. Im thinkin about two weeks before we flip? Anyone have a read on that? Marlo, I'd love to hear your opinion on that.

Marlo

Seedsweeper
ICMag Donor
Veteran
2 weeks sounds about right. Maybe more. You'd know best, since you know how fast these girls will veg and how drastic the stretch on the SC is. But I'd give em at least to weeks to get they're roots going in the pot.
By the looks of it, you could probably go a bit longer without having to worry about over veg'n. The cage will allow you to twist and turn these babies all you want. And you want to make sure you have enough growth to fill in the whole screen. It's not cool to have to look at empty spaces in your scrog for 10 weeks.

:tiphat:

311devon

2 weeks sounds about right. Maybe more. You'd know best, since you know how fast these girls will veg and how drastic the stretch on the SC is. But I'd give em at least to weeks to get they're roots going in the pot.
By the looks of it, you could probably go a bit longer without having to worry about over veg'n. The cage will allow you to twist and turn these babies all you want. And you want to make sure you have enough growth to fill in the whole screen. It's not cool to have to look at empty spaces in your scrog for 10 weeks.

:tiphat:

Thanks for the quick response bro, I was kinda leaning toward 3 weeks anyway, i think the Afghan Kush is gonna need it to fill in its corner. I guess it would be better to over veg than under, i can always cut em back a bit. The best part is the SC is about a 8 1/2-9week strain in my sog and the AGK finishes at 8 weeks like clockwork. I'm laughing at 16wks now. I wonder if even the Thai will take that long, it finishes in 12 weeks.

Very cool my man very cool!!

Thanks bro, its been a lot of work and $$$

311devon

Update coming soon! maybe tonight,depends on how much Afghan Kush i burn tonight. Shit is like a steamroller...makes me stoooooooopid.

311devon

UPDATE

UPDATE

Heres a progress report for those who are watching. We are on day 18 of 18/6 under the new CMH. Not quite as far along as i thought they would be. I think i kept things a touch to wet and slowed them rooting in a few days. Hand watering in this big of a pot has had a lil learning curve. Still using KISS and will continue. They have had two pruning/training sessions. I think we are gonna give em a few more days to get the lower branches onto the grid at least. I expect the SC to at least double and likely triple by the end of stretch. The AGK barely stretches at all. Here's some pics.

Here's all the girls together.
picture.php

Strawberry Cough #1. Now were seeing some difference between Pheno's. This girl is one and the other two are the other. She is a bit more vigorous and is not as hungry. I think she is gonna set nodes closer together too.
picture.php

SC #2. This girl has had the roughest time so far. Her feet were a bit too wet at first, and then i think i went too far the other direction and let em dry too much, concentrating the salts and scorched her a bit so. Now that she is rooted in good and im figuring this coco out, shes happy.
picture.php

SC #3 This girl is just singing along in her lil corner.
picture.php

Afghan Kush. She has been the least happy of all the girls. She even sagged ass for a few days when i got em to wet. She likes to be dry. If you need a strain that will handle drought. This is your girl. She would go two days farther in my sog with everything else equal. Thats an entire wet/dry cycle! Now that shes rooted in good, she is just fine.
picture.php

Lemme know what yall think. Marlo, any pruning training tips or other input is greatly appreciated. Peace.

Looking pretty good there! Be careful overwatering them they will not recover from a PH-blockade. The dirt should be closer to dry then wet. F/E the dirt will shrink which can be seen. A space emerges between the pot and dirt. Handwater them from below. I learned the rootsystem sheds stuff off in the top layer. Handwatering from above would mix this stuff which the water. I read users experienced a remarkable diffirence in watering them from below.

So it seems you water them from below from those baths

And use a tensiometer.

They are shooting alot of branches already are they :) When are you going to switch to 12/12?

GL into flower!

311devon

Looking pretty good there! Be careful overwatering them they will not recover from a PH-blockade. The dirt should be closer to dry then wet. F/E the dirt will shrink which can be seen. A space emerges between the pot and dirt. Handwater them from below. I learned the rootsystem sheds stuff off in the top layer. Handwatering from above would mix this stuff which the water. I read users experienced a remarkable diffirence in watering them from below.

So it seems you water them from below from those baths

And use a tensiometer.

They are shooting alot of branches already are they :) When are you going to switch to 12/12?

GL into flower!

Thanks for stoppin by. The tubs are there to catch runoff when watering from above. This is not soil. Its a 70/30 mix of coco/perlite (#3 size). Once these girls are well established(which they are, roots everywhere) its gonna be hard to overwater them. Right now they are using about 1/2g each every 3 days. I'm more concerned about not watering enough and salts building up as its a pain in the ass to remove the runoff..Gotta find a better way than 20 wringings of the Shamwow! This coco/perlite mix was a test. I'm all about simplicity. IF i cant just waster using KISS and not go through a bunch of hassle removing runoff, i will switch to an organic soiless mix and go water only. I am meterless and will continue to be. Weed aint that tough to grow and i dont care about getting every last gram of potential outta this. I'm happy at 85% or 90%. Your input is appreciated though. :respect:

As far as when i'm gonna flip goes, I'm thinkin in the next 3-5 days. We will see, it should be dramatic..