What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tomato growers?

slappyjack

You do realize there are DIY info on how to build your own upside down tomato pot online with just a 2 litter i think.... dunno i find the instructions, but never read thru them, just saw the pic of the homemade one working.

Ive also read the reviews on that commercial one available... the census was it can work, but has some problems.

Two weeks later and all the topsy turvey neighbors' tomato plants still look like crap. I guess I can't really blame the container, so I'll just blame the gardeners. My upright tomatoes are already producing fruit, the upside-down plants are all spindly and leafy, node spacing is about 4 times too long, and most are underwatered and underfed. If they were my plants I'd be embarrassed. Glad they're not. :)

That's the problem with all these "As seen on TV" products. People watch the commercials and expect a miracle for the low-low price of $19.95+S&H with little to no effort expended. As we all know, gardening just doesn't work that way.

I wish people would look to the White House's organic garden instead of putting their trust in a TV commercial.

slappyjack

Anyone used organic liquid MJ nutes for tomatos? In specifically Earth juice? Its soo cheap, ive got a gallon for my grow that i will NEVER EVER be able to use up before it expires. So its going on all the other household plants this year lol.

I think im gonna give the Early girl some EJ bloom and catalyst soon.

I use CNS17 for everything. My peppers and tomatoes are already on bloom formula, herbs still get veg formula.

I'm sure EJ would be just as good, and certainly better than Miracle Grow. Just keep in mind that tomatoes and peppers don't need many leaves, feed the fruit appropriately.

W

Weedman Herb

Roma/Cherry Mountain Pride Roma The Huge Mass in the background is 2 Roma/Cherry plants ...

Wait...What?

Veteran
I use CNS17 for everything. My peppers and tomatoes are already on bloom formula, herbs still get veg formula.

I'm sure EJ would be just as good, and certainly better than Miracle Grow. Just keep in mind that tomatoes and peppers don't need many leaves, feed the fruit appropriately.

They also don't need all the P of a bloom formula. Why would the pot-specific nutes be better for veggies than the veggie nutes?

Miracle Grow is just fine.

AbbieDoobie

Before I grew my first ganja plant, I grew tomatoes. I still do. But, that was my first growing adventure. I have traded heirloom tomato seeds with tons of people via the internet, including some notable people in the field. This year I'm growing out: Cherokee Purple, Red Brandywine, Andrew Rahart's Jumbo Red, Picardy, Anna Russian, Neve's Azorean Red, Prue, Kellogg's Breakfast, and Sungold (the only hybrid). When things start fruiting, I'll take some pics.

~Abbie :joint:

webguy

my san marzanos are already flowering, is that ok? its f'n rained all spring here in the north east, WTF!!! could they be rootbound...? does that induce flowering?

W

Weedman Herb

Well you're looking at 70-80 days for the fruiting to complete (times stated are for the varieties I'm growing) ... I started mine Mid April and they are pretty much On Time ... How about yours? When did you start them? I know nothing about a rootbound tomato ... I grow them in the earth ...
Here's what I found about them besides a History lesson (gifted from Peru to Naples in the mid to late 1700's) at wikipedia ...

Maturity 85 days
Type Heirloom
Vine Indeterminate
Plant height 6 feet
Fruit Weight 4 oz
Leaf regular leaf
Color Red (pink)
Shape Plum

slappyjack

They also don't need all the P of a bloom formula. Why would the pot-specific nutes be better for veggies than the veggie nutes?

Miracle Grow is just fine.

CNS is certainly not a "pot-specific nute", I'm not even sure what you mean by that. ???

All I can say is that I've had much better tomato production with CNS than I ever had with miracle grow and other consumer-type nutrient. Better taste too.

Miracle grow scares me just based on its neon blue color. What the hell is up with that?

slappyjack

my san marzanos are already flowering, is that ok? its f'n rained all spring here in the north east, WTF!!! could they be rootbound...? does that induce flowering?

All of my tomatoes are already flowering. Most varieties wont stop growing taller like cannabis tends to do. Just keep them pruned below the first flower cluster, pinch out some of the suckers and let them do their thing during the summer.

the_man

sugar snack , sweet 100 and burpees burger hybrid the burgers got huge last year came close to 8 feet tall. this year growing them all in earth boxes. don't forget to trim off all your bottom branches so diseases do not spread from plant to plant.

thekingofNY

Cannasseur
Our early girl has started flowering. Pretty excited as i've never grown tomato before. Shes getting mighty big too. Sitting in 5 gallon of reused soil.

I also love the smell of tomato plants... whoever posted that before.

W

Weedman Herb

TY CMoon ... North Carolina did most of the work after I turned the garden ... I added a Mr Stripey (heirloom) plant yesterday that I found suffering at wally world ... I can count at least 100 tomatoes on 1 of the Roma Cherries and Lots of flowers still ... I hope my DIY tomato cage holds up (yeah there's really cages in there) ...

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nice flowers/fruit all :yes: homegrowing rules :canabis:

Growing fritillary seed Cheery Tom. IBLS again this season,, we were later on germination due to cooler air temps (we think) ,, but plants are now setting the first flowers ,, will post up some images when theirs some to show :D

Great growing all!!!

killabrown420

I've been LST'ing my roma/grape with pretty good success.. This is the only picture I could find of my roma, just before transplanting into the 18 gallon rubbermaid. I've already harvested about a dozen ripe tomatoes so far with tons of maters on the way. I also have some better boy about a month away from being ripe. My entire front porch is being overgrown by maters. It's the only sunny spot on my property and I'll be sure to use up every inch just like the grow room.

Just FYI I know some people using the topsy turvy thing with GREAT results. It's all about how much sun it gets, what soil the gardener uses, and how much care they give it. I don't see why they are so expensive though, pretty simple to build or mimmick.

Attachments

• 020_5A.JPG
    020_5A.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 57

Wait...What?

Veteran
CNS is certainly not a "pot-specific nute", I'm not even sure what you mean by that. ???

All I can say is that I've had much better tomato production with CNS than I ever had with miracle grow and other consumer-type nutrient. Better taste too.

Miracle grow scares me just based on its neon blue color. What the hell is up with that?

with a nearly 1:1 ratio on the N and the K, yes it most certainly IS specific to pot. Cukes, peppers, tomatoes, eggplant, squash, et cetera, want the ratio of N to K at least 1:1.5.

Great that it works for you, though. Add more potassium and it'll work even better.

The blue is just a dye. Its important that mixed fertilizer solution not be clear so morons don't mistake it for potable water and drink it [this is also why many of our fertilizer containers say DO NOT REUSE]. The Grotek Monster Bloom has a strong purple dye in it that will stain your skin and make you look like you were in the blackberry patch :)

S

seanpferguson

4 jetstar, 4 patio, 4 beefsteak, 4 banana peppers. using just topfed guanos (peruvian, indonesian).. seems to be doing great at the moment.

Latest posts

Latest posts